1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Brien's Resume

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Air Langhi, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Remii

Remii Member

First off, Lovie got to the super bowl with his defense and Rex Grossman at QB. For you to compare Lovie's defense to Kubiak's offense is ridiculous. And if you believe McNair and Smith didn't go after Lovie _ that's just as ridiculous.

Who cares what those analysts say, those are the same geniuses who said Houston were super bowl contenders. Tampa has a solid offensive line and a solid defensive line. Those are the two most important units in football and the Texans lines are in shambles. Tampa has Reeves who is one of the best cover corners in the league and some nice young talent in the secondary and our best secondary player is Jackson. They have a young QB in place in a nice receiving core and they have a high draft pick.

The Tampa job is probably the best job out there because the Lions are locked in with Stafford with a huge contract and he's a big part of their problems. But the talent the Texans have on their roster compared to Tampa's _ it isn't close... Plus the Texans are in cap trouble. You can look for yourself and see that _ don't need analysts to tell you. And that's why they have O'Brien instead of Lovie... Lovie said no thanks...

2. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

So you're arguing that the Texans were focused on snagging Lovie Smith, a Tampa 2 guy who was passed over by the Bills, Eagles, and Chargers last year for HC vacancies? But then he rejected their generous offer, instead deciding to pick the third or fourth best HC vacancy by most reports? Then the disgruntled Texans had to settle on BOB, the "it" coach of the offseason who was OC for the organization McNair's extremely jealous of before saving Sandusky State from being a dumpster fire?

I'm sorry dude, that's just laughable. You're entitled to your opinion, but very few people who analyze this **** for a living agree. Rooney rule interview--->Courtesy interview-->Target interview fits better. 24 wins over the past 3 seasons is substantially better than 15 wins over the past 3 seasons. Last season the Texans lost 9 games with one score or less. Bucs lost 4 by one score or less.

Lovie was not a hot commodity. Texans passed on him, just like he was passed over by the Bills, Eagles and Chargers. The only person who would have garnered more league wide interest this offseason than Obrien would have been David Shaw, but he decided to remain in college.

3. Remii

Remii Member

You're really trying to make it look like Lovie was a 5h!t coach...Lol. He has 6 winning seasons out of 9 as a head coach and a championship ring as a defensive coordinator. So if you think what O'Brien accomplished at Pen State is greater than what Lovie has done on the pro level _ your opinion is noted.

Maybe the Texans interviewing Lovie was a token interview _ fact remains that Tampa was still a better job and personally I believe Lovie turned down the Texans and looking at this roster compared to Tampa _ I don't blame him. And Detroit was banging on Lovie's door too (I didn't see them chasing O'Brien). He had options better than coaching the Texans _ even if the Texans didn't want him like you say.

1 person likes this.
  4. solid

solid Contributing Member

Kubiak had a great paper resume, multiple SB's and all, but don't discount the value of a hall of fame QB. I wonder what NE's record would be during the last ten years with Schaub as QB? Anyway, I don't think Kubiak was as clueless as he often looked, but, overall, he wasn't up to the task and his resume made no difference. I think OBrien will do much better regardless of what is on paper. His coaching team and the players will make the difference. Winning in the NFL is very complex. I think OBrien has a good chance of figuring it out.

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Kubiak's resume was average at best... zero HC experience, didn't win until a HOF QB was paired with a "HOF" RB. How long was he a OC? If it was longer than 10 years, he never had the makeup of a #1 guy (HC) to begin with. People with talent don't accept being a #2 for long periods of time.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Aren't teams required to interview at least 1 black coach? Or is that only college?

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Who DaF*q is "Matt Castle"!?!?!? :confused: