1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Film] There Will Be Blood

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by K-Low_4_Prez, Jan 5, 2014.

1. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

So i just watched this last night and i had absolutely no idea what was going on, but i couldn't stop watching it. Daniel Day Lewis is awesome in it and there are some great visuals especially in some of the church scenes, but can anybody clear up a few questions i have...

Why does H.W. set the house on fire? Is Daniel possessed by Satan? Why does Daniel never pay Eli his money? Did Eli cause the accidents that kept happening? Why does he kill Eli? is Eli possessed by Satan?

for whatever reason i kept thinking everybody was possessed, from H.W. to Daniel to Eli, did anyone else get that feeling?

2. body slam

body slam Member

I watched it and can honestly say I want those 3 hours of my life back. With all the hype around this film I kept telling myself it has to get better, but never did.

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wz6zBhunzYg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yep, they were all possessed.

I hear the sequel is Daniel Day-Lewis comes back as a vampire and beds Kristen Stewart after killing both Jacob and Edward in a fiery scene on the Panhandle of Texas.

5. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

easily one of my favorite movies.

DDL gives an awesome performance.

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Imhcq5s9OLs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  7. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

It it 2007 already? I drink your milkshake.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

One of my 3 fav movies ever

9. what

what Member

It's based on a book by Upton Sinclair: Oil.

I think it is more about oil and greed, than religious metaphors. Even though Eli is always trying to save DDL.

Of course, obviously Upton Sinclair is drawing on complex religious imagery to make his commentary upon society and the fact that there are no really likable characters in the movie.

10. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

One of my top movies of all time. I keep the interpretations simple.
    1. Daniel is intelligent but has a god-complex and strongly distrusts others. This is the driving force behind his competitive nature, hate for others, and want to acquire wealth so that he can create a divide between himself and everyone else.
    2. The battle between Daniel and Eli is a metaphor of capitalism vs. religion. It's particularly reflective of the time period (post-industrial revolution) where religion has ultimately "lost" to capitalistic values as the underlying foundation of society's norms.
    3. Eventhough Daniel has a wish to create separation with others, a part of him wants to trust in someone and have companionship by the virtues of family. This is seen in the interplay with HW and Henry.
    IMO, most interpretations are a combination or corollary to these premises. Great movie. Anyone who doesn't like it... well... OK.

11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I wish we saw more of Paul Dano, he seems severely underrated. He was great in Prisoners recently.

TWBB is one of my all time favorites.

12. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

he sets the house on fire because he wants to kill the "brother," since he knows he's a fraud.

it's been a while since i've watched it but i never got the impression anyone was possessed. i'd have to watch it again to answer the other questions.

13. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great movie. Nothing supernatural in it though...not sure where you got that from...

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think some people go to the supernatural card because the characters weren't ever acting like believable human beings (?)

I enjoyed that movie, and I understand it's great reputation, but it's very hyperbolic. DDL is a great actor, but it's so apparent he is Acting, capital A, throughout that movie. It's not about building a believable character. It's about inhabiting a larger-than-life screen presence. And that's really cool.

"I drink your milkshake!" LMFAO. Weirdest. Scene. Ever. Maybe it's a stoner movie, ultimately.

15. Apps

Apps Member

I don't know if you saw 12 Years a Slave, but he played a rather deplorable slaver in that film. You get around to truly hating him pretty quickly, too. Good (and I imagine very difficult) acting in that movie, all around.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

wow...This is yet another reason why someone who calls himself B-Bob is one of my internets heroes.

I've been trying to put DDLs performance into words for a long time, but gave up partly because it would piss off my friends.

"I drink your milkshake!" is one of the most embarrassing lines for someone to use as best lines ever.

17. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Apologies for the crappy video:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QpXLJbNhOx0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Eps

Eps Member

"Prisoners" was awesome movie. A Silence of The Lambs feel to it. real good watch!

19. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

i didn't get the impression anyone was possessed, definitely one of my favorite movies

20. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

DDL might have given the performance of his life, but man that movie sucked donkey ballz!