1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes Hillboy - but that was a different TEAM - than this one.

I always appreciated JVG, just thought he was the wrong coach for that particular roster.

This one - I think he is a great fit for.....different teams require different coaches.

Doesn't mean I hated the guy, just didn't like the fit at that time.

Context is important.

DD

2. tonman

tonman Member

unless you keep making the same mistakes and have the same issue. you can blame the players and/or you can blame the coaches.

but at the end of the day, if you blame the players and don't make any trades, you're stuck looking at the coach.

vice versa, if you change the coach and the players don't change, you have to move the players.

so at this time there's no player movement, so all we can do is look at the coach and say it's your job to develop and prepare the players to play the "right" way. if the players don't, then you have to discipline them or move them. which gets us back yep in the some players don't get "disciplined" while others get overly "disciplined". doesn't work.

3. MajorSeanBond

MajorSeanBond Member

4. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

This is very true, and people seem to forget that context is key in every decision. I believe McHale would make a good counselor or player development type, but he's not an X's and O's guy. As great as Phil Jackson is, I think he would have trouble turning Howard or Harden into great leaders. Phil's greatest strength was his ability to get his star players to make the lesser players better. He never truly had a 3rd star on any of his championship teams but got the max out of player 3-12. Some can argue Rodman, but in my opinion they could have plugged in another rebounding PF and got the job done.

5. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

DD

Seems strange to me that you want a head coach who specializes in defense coaching a team that could lead the NBA in offense this season. That seems like a huge mismatch. Also JVG and Karl are egomaniacs in real life as coaches, and could never co-exist with with Morey, who is much more valuable than any head coach. This Rockets team has Morey's fingerprints over every aspect of the game.

6. tonman

tonman Member

the problem is that even McHale would balk at Morey if he was on the phone during the game telling McHale to take Player A out or put Player B in.

during the game, it is all McHale. the players available to McHale may be up to Morey. the style of play may be up to Morey. game action is all up to McHale.

7. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I don't care where you got them from but those numbers are just wrong. The difference of offense and defense is a staggering 0.1 ppp. A game averages slightly under 100 possessions in both offense and defense. Our scoring margin would be someplace close to +10/game and ranked right up there with Pacers. Unfortunately, Rockets scoring margin is only +3.1/game.

Unless you fell asleep after our first 3 wins, Rockets defense has slid down to 18th at 1.026 ppp(link), which was barely better than last year's 1.028 ppp.

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

That is the point. I don't know what color Morey's face would turn if the Rockets started jacking up mid-ranged shots. Can the Karls and the JVGs of the world cede strategy to Morey? I just don't see it. They have never coached that way before.

9. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I remember Mchale being mad about the trades at the trade deadline last year, so he is not totally in Morey's pocket.

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

There is no better source than mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Wow this. My sentiments exactly. Thank you DD.

12. Hmm

Hmm Member

But the metric, man! The metric!

It says as long as we keep chucking up threes, playing a fast pace that result in a high turnover rate - which just means more possessions - and show little to no improvement in other areas of the game.... it'll all somehow, naturally lead to championships!

The numbers know all!

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Deleted

#5813 jtr, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Your source is defining ppp as "points per play", which is different from "points per possession" (a possession is extended by an offensive rebound, a play is created by an offensive rebound).

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

It has been accepted by the stats forum and progressively by NBA teams that the three point shot is good and the mid-ranged jumper is bad. A fast pace is great - see the above charts - the Rockets average 1.18 PPP in transition. Turnover stats are overrated. Every team in the league is within a 5 turnover per game spread from 12.4 to 17.4. When corrected for pace it is within 4 turnovers per game. The leagues best? The absolutely woeful New York Knicks.

The Rockets worst turnover prone player? Harden of course at 3.7 per game. 23% of the Rockets total. Do you want him to modify his game and risk cutting into that 24/6/5 line? Thought not.

#5815 jtr, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  16. tonyrock

tonyrock Rookie

1,the ball doesn't move well
    2,the defense is terrible
    3,Players are better but the team improve less

FIRE MCHALE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Ahhh yes. PPP. Terminated by FGA, TO, or free throws. But there is this odd not understood stat in the list called "Offensive Rebound". What exactly might that be????

And Durvasa, I did point out in my original post that defensive rebounding was a problem that the Rockets needed to work on.

18. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I am confused why don't fire him. So Rockets are going to waste this year for improving MaHale?

19. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

For 35 games:
    Rockets scored 3695
    Opponents scored 3586
    Difference: 109 points

Rockets Synergy stats:
    Offense 3787 plays
    x 0.97 ppp
    scoring: 3673 (off by -22 points)

Defense 4054 plays
    x 0.87 ppp
    Scoring: 3526 (off by -60 points)

Opponents had extra 267 plays. The differences in TOs and offensive rebounds added up to extra 152 plays but no where near the 267 extra plays opponents had.

It seems to me that lots of numbers are inaccurate from mysynergy.com. You are a math man yourself. Maybe you can figure this out better than me.

20. makio9

makio9 Member

Is this created by a Lin fan or?

His records in Houston have been nothing short of great and about as much as you could ask for.

Not sure how you come to the conclusion of bad rotations when records are favorable?

I should be able to fend off just about every argument coming my way by saying this is the first year this group has been together

What was Miami's record at this time after the lebron decision?

Everybody loves McHale and all the players think he is great. His records aren't shy of the mark.

not sure how that equals a firing? Good luck with that

1 person likes this.