1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Worrell said "black guys"?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thebeardedwon, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

To be clear, I'm not offended. However, when I saw this on television I thought "Uh oh. Somebody is going to be mad."

That said, I HAVE to respond to this one.

WHY REFERENCE THEIR RACE OR POINT OUT THEIR DIFFERENCES AT ALL?

And if one must point out a way in which Clyde and Murph differ from their peers, there are a few other ways he could have gone.

A few examples:

"The two guys whose jerseys hang from the rafters"
    "The two Hall of Famers".
    "The two former NBA All-Stars"
    "The two NBA guards"

But he went with race. I'm not offended, but I'm not surprised if somebody else is either. In fact, I'd kind of understand.

2. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

what's the fuss? should he have used the n word instead?

3. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

They are obviously cast for that dynamic. (Loose black guy, uptight white guy) this should be a non-issue.

4. dback816

dback816 Member

Black people say white man/folks/boy all the time on TV.

5. mockster

mockster Member

Oh so black guys is a racist term now?. For long were gonna have to say peoples full names cuz yaknow it's political correct >.>

6. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Identifying people by the color of their skin is odd. I wanna slap the first person to invent that. White people aren't actually white nor are black people black, it's really childish if you think about it. You are not your skin color so being identified by it is stupid. Is the president a black man even though his skin is brown and his mother was white?

That being said I don't think Worrell is racist, he was just being silly.

7. warbirdzone

warbirdzone Contributing Member

It's not odd, it's just one type of description people use all the time.

8. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

There are actually no black people, no one is actually black. That's why its odd. Why are we not identified by eye color or height as much as skin color, since those things are more accurate, why do we allow a fake skin color to seperate us, that is why it is odd.

1 person likes this.
  9. warbirdzone

warbirdzone Contributing Member

Oh boy.... now we don't have black people. The skin color is just an general description. It's much easier to identify a person with skin color than eye color
    or height, those are detailed description you can't even tell most of the time unless you are close to the person.

10. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I don't think you understand, but it's ok, lol. I forget some of you guys don't think critically. Everything in America is just so dumbed down and have been used so long that people just go with it, lol. It's really sad.

11. Indaface

Indaface Member

white - white guy
    black - black guy
    hispanic brown - mexican
    middle eastern brown - arabian or indian
    asian - chinese

these are the standards that people go by, and i say this as a non mexican hispanic who has been called a mexican about a million times in my life

12. Solaris

Solaris Member

Bill and Clyde are not professional. Thats all there is to that.

1 person likes this.
  13. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Nope not all, I have a suggest for those of you that think this is okay try saying any of those words that you think are okay in group of black men and see what happens. Also, while your at it try it on your job in front of HR.

14. mockster

mockster Member

Your an idiot and have been brainwashed by the media. They are great commentators and are awesome to litsen to. If two black guys really bothers you then our nation is really dumb. Everything doesn't have to be racist or politically correct. I'm against racism for sure and there are certain terms that should be avoided but now we have taken it to far where everything is racist and even though like most people said didn't offend them but knew it would catch hype because we know how silly people are with the media telling us what's what.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I dare anyone to be more smug and eye roll inducing than this. I dare you. This smug cloud would even impress George Clooney.

1 person likes this.
  16. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

LMBO!

17. Solaris

Solaris Member

Saying things like that on national TV by a basketball commentator is very unprofessional. Please tell me what they said has to do with basketball?

Did I said anything about being a racist or politically correct? All I said is they are not being professional. You are the one being an idiot and sensitive, not me.

18. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

What bill said is no different than what goes on on Inside the NBA on TNT with Chuck and the guys

19. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

While, I don't think Bill is a racist, I must agree that it is unprofessional. These words were born through racism. Africans did not identify themselves as black. They were identified by tribe they were only identified as blacks by slave traders (non of them were actually the color black BTW) 200 years ago.

Something that is born from hatred will continue to get hatred when used by someone who looks like the people who gave it birth. We continue to use these words out of ignorance and habit.

1 person likes this.
  20. bmd

bmd Member

Well, to be fair to the argument against what Bil said, it wasn't the words "black guys" that could be seen as offensive. It was the singling them out due to their race that some might think is offensive. Not he particular words he used.