1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin making the case for being a starter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Jan 1, 2014.

1. pacmania

pacmania Member

Again its all about context and history. Normally, good faith is presumed and there is presumption of regularity enjoyed by a coaching staff.

But when you learn about Mchale's history of extreme stupidity in Minnesota. We're not talking about normal stupid here...we're talking about extreme stupidity coupled with a dishonest and deceitful character.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

All I want to know is, is there any statistical evidence that starting Beverley is better than starting Lin, and vice versa?

3. pacmania

pacmania Member

There is a discussion of the latest statistics in this thread: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=249121

there is also an article searching for jeremy lin discussing lin's strengths and weaknesses based on statistics.

4. cloud9

cloud9 Member

I'm sure there will be some 10~ game comparisons soon enough.

5. pacmania

pacmania Member

Its a good article. It would also be informative to know last season's stats vs. this season's stats for JLin. I think this article is based on last season's stats.

6. bws

bws Member

Howard had 5 fouls in his game, Lin wasn't in foul trouble. Lin played with fire, he doesn't need benching to play with fire. He was super pumped up to play the Knicks.

7. Barkley123

Barkley123 Member

I think that's a pretty short-sighted attitude. If you want to win championships relationships between coaches & players and the players being comfortable and confident on court are very important.

8. ada32

ada32 Member

Good read and an objective view of Lin!

9. King1

King1 Contributing Member

That comfort will come with time and familiarity. It's going to take a season for these guys to adjust to each other. It even took the Heat a season to work out the kinks.

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Mchale has always rode with the hot hand. Brooks and co got us back in the game and stuck with that.

11. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

Lin was great in the game. From what I saw, ab had a little groove going. That is probably why coach stayed with ab0. I do think at some point coach could have put him back in. But I think the Knicks send 2 defender at Lin when he gets in the lane. With substitutions it is hard to gauge, the only guage is assumptions but not fact.

For example, there is no way you can prove that putting Lin back I would result in a win or a loss. This level of uncertainty gives fans the ability to criticze the decisions with out absolute proof. Therefore the only judge of the situation is only the outcome. In this case we won therefor coach was right.

12. ILoveWhiteGirls

So the black eye on Lin???

13. Karolik

Karolik Member

Jeremy Lin has officially divided the forum. Its either "McHale is marginalizing Lin" or "McHale is doing the right thing by playing whooever gives us to best chance to win".

First lets establish that of the starters (with bev injured and excluding Tjones who was barely in the rotation last year), Lin has definitely been benched the most. Even "haters (borrowing the LOF term)" will have to agree with that. NONE of the starters have ever been on the bench by them self..

except Lin. Dwight was benched with Lin, and Harden benched with Lin. Lin has been benched by himself..multiple times. So who is the common denominator?... Its Lin. Poor guy huh? McHale must really hate him. Not really.

If you look at our roster, you can see why this is the case. AB and Beverley are solid backups. Garcia is garbage, Casspi is good value, but honestly not very good and not on AB or Beverley's level. Greg Smith speaks for himself. So if you want to bench Harden, Dwight, or Parsons when they are playing like garbage, you'll have to replace them with garbage. Meanwhile Lin has 2 solid backups behind him. Then you add in the fact that Lin is at best the 3rd best starter on the roster probably 4th. IMO, this team needs something.

Solid defensive backups for Harden, and Parsons so they can be held accountable when they play like garbage. Right now, they can **** around on the court and still stay in the game. If McHale still chooses to play Harden and Parsons 40+ minutes even then, then maybe we can start the "marginalizing Lin" talks.

14. bws

bws Member

Good article. But I don't think assists equal passing. For an assist someone has to make a basket you threw the ball to. There's a lot of variables and variation and difficulty and situations in getting a team mate a shot that he knocks down or converts. I think Lin's actual passing skills are quite good, but Rockets haven't seen much of it. Here and there only.

15. Razsan

Razsan Member

That's the point. Brooks wasn't "hot"....As I mentioned in another thread, the Rockets won despite McHale. Thankfully James was on fire.

16. Barkley123

Barkley123 Member

I agree with that but McHale isn't fostering any confidence in Lin by the way he treats him.

If you're on the court and you know that a couple of mistakes is going to get you benched for the rest of the game you can't play with any confidence, you'll be playing with a mindset to not make mistakes.

I think it's the reason we see Lin fluctuate from being very aggressive one game and then timid the next.

17. conquistador#11

is that really the case? I still love the lofs and lohers when they post in the hangout. and it's fun going back and fourth going nowhere on a treadmill. besides, every player gets trashed equally here in the forums after a bad game. god forbid we actually talk about the game!:p

the garm is the new D&D with more posters and guests.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Most non-superstar players play under these rules. If you're going to do something stupid like allow a wide open layup on an inbounds play because you're griping at the official, there's a good chance you will find yourself on the bench. Plus, he was playing pretty awful in the third. Remember when he air-balled a layup?

That said, Brooks looked awful last night aside from the little bit of defensive intensity he gave them, but that really only led to them being in the bonus with 8 minutes left in the quarter.

19. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Ultimately, I think Lin will be fine. He doesn't strike me as someone who is going to get down on himself and he seems to have a positive relationship with McHale despite what speculation on here is. If a player is unhappy it always comes out and we've haven't heard anything whatsoever about Jeremy being frustrated.

This I do agree with but as a player you have to block that out and play your game. Plenty of guys have to play with a shorter leash then others for a variety of reasons (depth, match ups, coaches favorites, ect). I think in the Rockets case it's because we have three capable pgs who all have different strengths so they rotate a lot. I think what sometimes gets lost in all of this is Jeremy is a role player. He's not going to be given the same amount of rope as a Harden or Howard

I just think that's how he is regardless. Sometimes he attacks and other times he defers. Just his personality as a player

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Lin was the first one off the bench last night celebrating the victory. He's not a reflection of his diehards. If he was, he would've walked to the locker room the second he was lifted for Brooks.