1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rocket player STATs Review upto 1.1.2014

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TTNN, Jan 3, 2014.

1. TTNN

TTNN Member

Forgot a part of it.

Jeremy is also pretty good in generating FT assists too. Which is a pass to a teammate who would try a shot, but got fouled, thus the teammate got FT. The team would still end up with points generated from the possession the playmaker used , but that would not credit as assist.

With 0.6 FT assist per game, Jeremy is top 10% in the league with more than 15 min play time per game and with more than 3 assist opportunity per game.

2. Epik

Epik Member

Lin is wasted as 3rd or 4th option.

3. TTNN

TTNN Member

some of the even higher efficiency assist players: Ray Allen, Andre Iguodala, Tim Duncan, David Lee, Tyreke Evans, G. Vasquez, Klay Thompson.......

A bit surprise, right? Traditional stats usually composed of two components: efficiency and volume. Just like shots, you have FG% and FGA. You could ramp up either one to get high stats number. So if you are not that great with efficiency, but you are featured in the team, and got the volume, that will do the trick.

Look at James Harden's number this season, both points and assists. They are really good numbers, but all rely on the volume.

4. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Or the coach has him the perfect role for his abilities?

I like Lin as the starter but I'd like to see both defensive numbers and name labels on players who are ranking similar to Lin in some of these stats.

5. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No surprising at all. The argument for making one guy a starter over another is that some players are not consistent enough with starter's minutes and are better as bench guys. Other guys have games that are so good that you will feature them (give them volume) because even as their efficiency drops, they still give positive returns.

McHale is making it out that Lin isn't one of those guys who maintains a positive return when given volume due to his defensive production. That is the test I have been curious about.

There are about 8 players with higher assist efficiency than Lin. I'd like to know who those players are. Tossing out big names is nice, but where are they on the chart? Some of the guys you mentioned make me consider that they may be on teams and in line ups that feature very good shooters. Iggy and Thompson definitely are.

#45 JeffB, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  6. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Thanks for putting this together! The Assist Efficiency stat is an interesting one that I haven't seen explored or graphed out before. I know it's probably a time consuming task, but do hope you keep updating this thread.

7. waisoserious

waisoserious Member

I dont understand how mchale can justify leaving the 2nd unit in with "they were playing well so I let them stay in" but when Lin does well he subs him out. AB didnt play any stellar defense on the Knicks PG today. The Knicks PGs just arent that good. Its the truth.

There a ridiculous double standard.

Just trade the poor kid already. Geez

8. DocRock

DocRock Member

Tyreke Evans (7.5 opp, 1.39 eff) is the one closest to Lin (7.5, 1.35)

Iggy is the high mark to the right above 8 (8.1, 1.49)
    Ray Allen is the high mark to the left above 4 (3.7, 1.57)

Then the two guys under Ray are Brian Roberts (3.8, 1.42) and Tim Duncan (4.8, 1.42)

Then a cloud of
    Greivis Vasquez (5.6, 1.36)
    Klay Thompson (4.6, 1.37)
    Gerald Walllace (4.1, 1.37)
    David Lee (3.9, 1.36)

Note that most of these guys are on teams loaded with 40% 3pt shooters (SAS, GSW, NOP, MIA). We have Parsons, Brooks, and Lin (And Casspi if you count 35% 3pt). Lin can't assist to himself, and usually isn't on the floor with Brooks. So its a bit impressive IMO.

Good job OP

9. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

Stats confirm what the eye test tell us. Harden is taking too many bad threes, is using up too much shot clock on many possessions and is not playing up to his full potential as a passer and play-maker. And frankly, the sum of these issues explains the team's underperformance to date. Increase Harden's 3P% to 40% where it should be, reduce his TOs by 2 per game, and we'd have 3-4 more wins at least.

Most of this can probably safely be chalked up to his persistent injury issues, but there is the worry that Harden is not aware of these problems, and/or the coaching staff is unable or unwilling to steer him towards correcting them.

10. calcium

calcium Member

According to this article,
    http://www.thedreamshake.com/2014/1/3/5249000/houston-rockets-jeremy-lin-2014

"""
    He holds his opponents to 43.8% shooting which leads all the NBA's starting point guards. "But Allen, that's because Dwight is always down low" While that is correct, let's look at George Hill who has probably the best paint defender manning the paint behind him in Roy Hibbert. He's allowing his matchups to shoot 56.3% at the rim against him this season. For another example, Brandon Jennings who has 3 capable defenders in the front court starting beside him allows his opponents to shoot 58.6%.
    """

And props to the OP for the incredible stats and analysis.

1 person likes this.
  11. FTW

FTW Member

i don't understand, you bring the ball up, give it to Harden. how could you have any turnover at all?

and people say Bev has 3 point shooting.

12. FTW

FTW Member

thank you for your post. i admire you and thank you for your effort. when Lin is gone, people will start to realize what kind of player he is. for now, winning a argument is more import.

13. The Jabberwock

Good thread!

This particular graph (% of passes) is really sort of a ball-hog meter... :)
    The lower a player is located - the more of a ball-hog he is.

Harden's place meets the eyeball test.

What I found interesting was that Casspi is almost as unselfish as the Rockets get, though people still accuse him og being a ball hog...

14. dantian

dantian Member

Without giving him the opportunities on a consistent basis, we'll never know. BTW, how did his NYK Linsanity number indicate the trend?

15. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

repped. so again confirmed Mchale is a fail eye tester and a fail coach to guide harden towards great. yet he keep hiding behind those “twintower experiment” “start alternatively" "better fit" "need for 2nd unit" stunts pulled by himself.
    MCFAIL MUST GO.

16. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

It just confuses why hes willing to "experiment" the Twin Towers but not willing to develop Lin as a starter with DH and Harden. Try that experiment coach!

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

it's not as simple as telling Harden "shoot better, turn the ball over less"

Have to identify specific reasons those things are happening.

18. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

Harden is not doing well with three-pointers this year because opposing teams will focus defensive attention on him at the perimeter, and then if he passes out they will focus defensive attention on Dwight in the low post. With today's zone rules it's relatively easy to maintain consistent coverage on both, especially when you don't need to worry about Beverley pretty much ever.

If there were another offensive threat that you couldn't leave alone, say a guy who can drive to the basket and make his shots, then you couldn't just shade/double Harden on the perimeter, you'd have to leave him to defend the guy with the ball. Similarly, the guys in the paint would have to make sure they stay between the ball-handler and the basket in order to contest the drive.

That would probably help with Harden's low threes, and would also make it easier for Dwight to establish good position in the post.

Once that happens, then it would be easier for the team to figure out how to get DH the ball (maybe some quick around-the-horn passes), because right now they can't do it with the way the offense starts out, and half the time Howard is just being mauled so he's not where he should be anyway.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I have been a skeptic of the "fit" theory that claims that not starting Lin is not a demotion. But JeffB did raise some legit questions to the OP.

I think Lin would benefit Harden's offense more than Beverley IF they are used properly. Whether Beverley's defensive advantage warrant the start needs to be proved.

Harden is an excellent spot up shooter. A PG that can drive, collapse the perimeter defense, and kick out definitely makes Harden more dangerous.

20. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

A lot of people said that last year, how Lin drawing attention would help Harden and they ended up getting called LOFs, and most of them by respected veterans no less. I remember more than one coach say how they make specific game plans to stop Lin last year and this year. If all three, Lin, harden and DH are starting together that would be a difficult issue of pick your poison.