1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Long do you Give Coach X?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, May 2, 2003.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

OK, I wonder if we can keep something focused from straying into Rudy coaching generalities that are covered is several excellent threads currently existed.

I want to fast forward to next April.

The Rockets replaced Rudy with a Musselman/Carlisle type guy with no real track record.

The Rockets miss the playoffs again. And if that's too hard to believe, just say the Rockets defense can't play at Playoff caliber and our offense remains inconsistent, sputtering, ugly, with only Yao giving us signs of relief...we make the playoffs at 8th seed with 43-45 wins and get dusted by the top seed in 4 or 5.

What Price Coach X?

How many years do you give the new coach?

2. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

3. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Who ever is coaching the Rockets next year, Rudy T or someone else, if they don't make the playoffs I would fire him.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

fire that slave driver! Bring in a player's coach. Then fire his lazy ass and bring in a disciplinarian. :)

5. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

Van Gundy

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Where are all the people who want Rudy T. fired? You guys need to answer this question...

7. Thurgood

Thurgood Member

if we get van gundy i quit this stupid city

8. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

Its ironic that many coaches get in the hot seat for being dusted in the 1st round of the playoffs every year. No we are hoping that Rudy (or?) can lead us to be the next timberwolves for the next 3-7 years? Does anybody really think we stand a chance in the west, in the next few years without major changes?

9. verse

verse Contributing Member

are we to assume that coach x's relationship with the players is ok? are we to assume that the rockets are making progress offensively and defensively?

if we assume those things are true, then i would give him the duration of yao ming's contract (4 years, right?) i say that because i don't want yao in a situation where coaches are being shipped in and out of here all the time. he needs to see and experience stability in the organization.

besides that, i believe that four years is enough time for coach x to acquire the players that he wants to match his system...and for those players to gel as a team.

10. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

Thats the thing. We have to climb the mountain to make the playoffs first, but what good is it if u can't get down.

First round exits are written all over this team. Sorta like the old Rockets that couldn't get past Seattle.

11. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

He would have one-and-a half years to show some type of success, MAXIMUM! That's the way it is with all new coaches.

I think it's much more risky for the long term success of the Rockets to fall into a situation where you're switching coaches year in and year out and having unhappy players, than keeping a coach who has a GREAT rapport with Yao Ming and the rest of the team and is only a couple of missing pieces away from becoming a contender.

I just don't think the Rockets current situation is dire enough to take that risk. I mean some of you would actually be willing to take that risk for Jeff Van frickin' Gundy? Gimme a break.

12. Toast

Toast Member

We've been rebuilding, but we're almost there. So now, I want to see continuous improvement. If I'm not seeing continuous improvement, then we have problems with the coaching staff.

Next year, making the playoffs is a must. No more of this 'best team to not make the playoffs' consolation prize.

13. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Van Gumby is a wuss who quit the Knicks because of personal ****. And plus I cant get that image of him grabbing onto Alonzo Mourning's leg out of my head...... Major wuss :rolleyes:

14. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

My sentiments exactly.

I'd like to add, however, that if the coach isn't cutting the mustard after Yao (crosses fingers) signs his extension, then fire the coach. Just like how you sign SF to an extension, and then tell him to play sg. :p

15. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trick question. You know there's no definative answer. You can look around the league and note the average, that's all. Every situation is different.

You CAN say coaches succeed and fail. It's hard to pin down how or why.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Valid question.

Tommy Lasorda was a so-so manager who, by virtue of his longevity and job security, outperformed his abilities as a field general. His charges knew he would outlast them so they had to get 'along'.

Rudy is in a similar boat.

So, if Rudy is kicked to shore then the replacement, whomever he is, must have the type of front office support and long term job security to be larger than day-in day-out bickerings (see: Wiz, Collins see: Clips, and anyone see: Mo, Blazers).

Nothing speaks louder to players than a coach who is entrenched, solidly entrenched. Of course, sometimes the players just don't listen, do they?

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

This team is on the brink, but that brink is close but so far. The next coach should be able to at least make the playoffs. This team by virtue of talent should be at least as high as Utah and Minny. 50 wins should be that unexpected out of the next coach and just gradual progress.