1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

O'Brien vs. Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Roc Paint, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

After watching the press conference, I could see a little bit of a power struggle.

Did you guys see the way O'Brien dissed Smith on a handshake afterwards?

I'm just saying.

2. chrisgraham

chrisgraham Member

i saw a ladybug....

1 person likes this.
  3. Roc Paint

I'm not saying that Smith won't allow him to shop for groceries, but c'mon I don't believe yous guys didn't see that.

He just better hope that Cal doesn't become the next G.M.

4. Roc Paint

I was hoping he was going to snatch it, and throw it at pancakes.

"make a wish" :)

5. Remii

Remii Member

It seems to me that Jerry Jones _ opps _ I mean Bob McNair is running the show. But I heard that Bob let Kubiak have the final say about players and not Smith... Don't know if O'Brien will have the same authority or not.

6. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

I still don't understand how Rick Smith kept his job (aside from being tight with the McNair Family).

If its true what he claims that the coaches had too much input/say with drafting players, then what the hell has he done the past seven years? Is Smith a cap/numbers guy? Because his player personnel decisions have been spotty at best.

The past draft pick during his tenure has been JJ Watt, and that was all Wade Phillips according to most sources during the draft.

I hope that Smith and O'Brien are able to work together to get the best players available either via draft or free agency.

7. Summer Song Giver

Bob Mcnair and his son suck, I mean thanks I guess for bringing foot ball back now go do what rich people do and stop thinking you know what the hell you're doing when it comes to winning in the NFL.

They are just like Jerry Jones except they don't have the balls to accept the responsibility like Jerry does.

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

I have no inside information, but Smith strikes me as a "figurehead" who for some reason has been favored by the McNair family. I would suspect that the coaches and Smith's staff do the heavy lifting. Just an intuition.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's an incorrect one.

Smith was subordinate to Gary when he got here, but his power grew in the organization over time and he is now what his title says he is.

10. Summer Song Giver

He is now, with Cal and Bob, part of the triumvirate of suck that plagues Houston Football. Good luck O'brien, you should have picked Detroit.

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Rick Smith's job should be getting the players Coach tells him he needs on the team.

Maybe Mr. Smith should handle the star player free agency/ salary cap problems. They could get ugly with the fanbase.

12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You people comparing Bob McNair to Jerry Jones are nuts. The two aren't even close.

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

There are some similarites.

"Rick Smith is doing a fine job."

14. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

The only similarity is that they both own an NFL team in Texas.

Comparisons end there.

15. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Chris Olsen is supposed to be the cap guy. So that's one less possibility of whatever Smith's been doing these past seasons.

16. Remii

Remii Member

Well that means Wade drafted Reed, Merciless, DJ, and Montgomery too. And Kubiak wanted to pay Schaub instead of trying to get Manning. Smith got paid to learn and keep Bob company. But he doesn't have any excuses from here on out.

17. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Man, you sure are negative when it comes to football.

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

I can't believe that OBrien won't get the players that he wants, but just what Smith decides to give him. Can you?

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

I just want to say that it's NEVER the right decision to pick Detroit. Unless you know you suck and just want to cash checks. The Texans situation may be far from ideal, but we're also not Detroit.

20. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

who is it you think should run the Texans? somebody who didn't spend their own money?

#20 tallanvor, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014