1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Frank Johnson: "Game 6 is ours"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Htownhero, May 1, 2003.

1. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/articles/20030501/471511.html

Marbury hurt, but Johnson 'guarantees' win

May 1, 2003 Print it

PHOENIX -- Phoenix coach Frank Johnson figures if Tim Duncan, a fellow Wake Forest alumnus, can guarantee victory, he can, too.

"Game 6 is ours," Johnson said. "We'll see which Wake Forest guy is smarter."

After the Suns beat San Antonio in Game 4 to tie the series 2-2, Duncan calmly said the Spurs would win Game 5 at home, then return to Phoenix and finish the series in Game 6.

The Spurs, the No. 1 seed in the West after an NBA-best 60-win regular season, lead the best-of-seven series 3-2 after winning at home 94-82 on Tuesday night.

San Antonio can validate Duncan's proclamation and eliminate the pesky Suns with a victory Thursday night at America West Arena.

Fulfilling Johnson's guarantee will be more difficult because of the nerve injury to Stephon Marbury's right shoulder.

Marbury's fingers were still numb from the injury after Wednesday's practice, but he vowed to give it his best shot as the Suns try to force a deciding Game 7.

"I wouldn't miss this game for the world," he said. "This is definitely the biggest game of my career."

Marbury, who scored a series-low 13 points on 5-for-18 shooting in Game 5, tried to shrug off the injury but acknowledged it has bothered him.

"I wasn't all right yesterday," he said. "Dribbling, everything -- I just wasn't myself. But with a day of rest, with stretching and exercising, I'm a lot better than I was yesterday."

The numbness in his hand remained, however.

"If anybody ever hit their funnybone in their arm, they pretty much know how that feels," Marbury said. "For me, that's like constant. Your fingers go numb. If I get hit, I feel a sharp pain, then it will go away in about 30 seconds, but I still have that dull pain in my hand."

He said he will know his limitations.

"I just play the way the game is supposed to be played," Marbury said. "I'm not going to try to go out and do something I can't do. But just my presence on the basketball court, I think, will help my team."

If Marbury can't be his usual scoring threat, that will put more of an offensive burden on Shawn Marion, Penny Hardaway and Amare Stoudemire, who have been inconsistent in the series.

"If his arm isn't right, then guys on the team are going to be saying "We'll take it and pick up the slack,"' Hardaway said. "I'm going to be ready."

The Suns plan to keep up the full-court pressure that allowed them to make a serious dent in San Antonio's 24-point halftime lead Tuesday night.

"We've just got to keep fresh bodies in there and keep rotating," Johnson said.

Turnovers against the Suns' pressure have been a big problem for the Spurs.

"It's something we need to stay away from," Duncan said. "They get in the open court, they're very athletic. They get that energy and get going."

The Spurs did not practice before flying to Phoenix on Wednesday. After Game 5, they were a bit perturbed about allowing the Suns to get back into it in the second half and thereby take some positive feelings into Game 6.

"It's still frustrating in that situation to start turning the ball over and they get back into the game," Duncan said after Tuesday's game.

Bold and inspiring, or stupid?

I say it's pretty damned bold....and slightly stupid.:)

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Completely idiotic - the Suns don't strike me as the type of team you want playing harder...rather you want them playing smarter and better. Why push them such that Marbury flings up a 5-20 performace that is their doom.

Regardless, I don't see how the Suns could possibly win three games in a series on last second shots, and that is really the only way they win another.

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I really wish these stupid people in sports would stop "guranteeing" victories. And if they have to do it, at least put something on line.

Ooooohh! I am going to gurantee victory. :rolleyes:

WTF happens if they dont come through?

Absolutely NOTHING!

4. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

So being publicly and professionally embarrassed for putting your foot in your mouth counts as nothing?

5. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

A lot of the time, that doesn't happen. People just kind of forget they ever made a gurantee.

6. R0ckets03

Not really. I mean who the hell remembers Ewing "guranteeing" a championship literally every single year.

No one!

Put something on line and then call the bet.

7. Asian Sensation

Obviously, you remembered Rocket03 since your brought it up....... but Frank Johnson said he would win Game 4 while it was on the line during their timeout so I would not be suprised if they won game 6.

8. R0ckets03

Well I'm sort of an NBA junkie. So I remember quite a few things since I started to watch.

The point is that Ewing's credibility was not really damaged that much (if at all) due to all of his guranteeing.

If he really wants to be a man then put down $10,000 or something. Say we will win or I will donate $10,000 to some charity or something.

9. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

AHAAHHAHAHA.

How do you feel now Frankie?

10. Asian Sensation

Good game. Nice show of sportmanship by Marbury at the end of the game.