1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Clutchfans] Dwight: Defensive woes "starts on the perimeter"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Dec 31, 2013.

1. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

actually it's what happens when you recruit the wrong type of role players

still don't know why we trade Marcus Morris and Patrick Patterson away

2. Play07

Play07 Member

Patterson was traded for cap space for Howard. Morris was traded for a second round pick which is Canaan now. Morris could be helping this team right now

1 person likes this.
  3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Look at his 4th quarter stats. Once again, this is NOT about Jeremy Lin.

1 person likes this.
  4. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Yup, Morris was productive and hitting his shots regularly. He was given away for nothing.

5. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Still don't know why?

Really?

Nearly 6 months ago we signed a particular player that needed us to be quite flexible cap space and cap room wise.

It's been almost half a year and you still don't know why...just amazing.

6. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Unless they come with their coach it won't matter.

7. Play07

Play07 Member

It's not just Morris, morey did great with the harden trade but since then I've questioned most of his moves. I will reevaluate once we see what we get for asik.

8. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Patterson yes Morris not so much, we could have kept him.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You know what...rep for this, I've not seen it said and forgot all about that.

Morris could definitely help this team now, although I do think he hits the cap more than Canaan even if by a little.

10. NotChandlerParsons

Maybe it's time to have an intervention? Harden enters a room with all the team sitting in folding chairs, McHale locks the door and dumps a trash bag full of tapes of Steve Blake blowing by him on the floor.

11. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Our perimeter D does suck; Parsons and Lin aren't that bad really, James at times is atrocious but the real problem isn't this.

It's mother****ing McHale.

It's 5 players on the court, the defensive help, the strategies on defense; hedging, forcing players baseline or a particular direction, playing to one's weak hand, just understanding defensive strategy.

Bev healthy, or not, we have the potential to be above average on the perimeter defensively and certainly elite overall.

It's just the coach plain and simple, the only real adjustment we do is play zone randomly. Which don't get me wrong at times is a good thing to throw but for the love of god some defensive preparation would be great.

12. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

McHale should be sitting with Harden. Dumb tapes of the 4th quarter iso plays from out of timeout.

13. Play07

Play07 Member

Thanks bro, yeah Morris is on a mid 1st round contract. Canaan is on a 2nd round contract. So yes Morris cap hit is around $500,000+ more. Canaan could still develop into a solid PG and help this team later down in the future, but Morris is more of a "win now" bench player, which is our current goal.

Morris has been a big part of the suns success, the suns have quietly passed up the rockets and took the 5th seed in the standings, rockets are 6th after our lost last night and the suns 20 point win against the clippers in LA.

14. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

He might be right but that is not something one of your better players should say. You keep that in-house. In practice. Or wherever. But you dont call your teammates out like that. Who is the team captain? Parsons? Parsons should fine him. Then put that money toward a petition to hire JVG. then DH would know the real meaning of team defense.

15. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I know for a fact that Harden and Lin's defense is terrible and it is the reason teams score easily on us. All they need to do is run a pick n roll and these players are terrible at defending. Lin is just too slow. He needs to learn to anticipate the move and move in advance rather than let the offensive player dictate where you should go...that's not how you play defense. And he never EVER pressure the man or come up to the man close to them in order to avoid being picked. And Harden doesn't even care to run hard and let his man roam.

16. JLFan

JLFan Rookie

Rep this post. 100% agree, we could blame Harden, Howard, Lin, etc, but the cohesion this team lacks comes from the top and McHale just doesn't inspire anyone. He just doesn't get the respect of his players, he doesn't drill anyone hard enough.
    And just to emphasize my point across, let's take a look at another team that just got blown out recently. LA Clippers with Doc Rivers. They just got blown a huge loss to Phoenix and this is what their players are saying
    "PLAYA VISTA – Before practice on Tuesday morning, DeAndre Jordan got straight to the point.

“Doc and the coaches are going to get on some people today, including me,” he said. “Everybody’s going to be a victim of film today.”
    “Nobody’s innocent when a team plays bad,” Rivers added. “I don’t ever feel like I can come in and say, ‘They didn’t do this.’ It’s always a ‘we.’ I clearly didn’t do something going into yesterday’s game. I’ve always believed that and I still believe that.

“The film doesn’t lie. It’s an awful film to watch. I always watch them twice, usually right after the game and again first thing in the morning. Usually in the morning it’s a different game because when you watch it after a game it’s a very emotional watch. Either you’re high from a win and you miss stuff and the next day you see it. Or you’re down from a loss and you put too much stuff on it. Last night’s and this morning’s film looked exactly the same to me and that’s never good.”"

They admit their fault, no one is safe they know the coach will drill them hard, each and everyone of them.

Let's see what McHale says
    "We just didn't have...we just played poorly. For the life of me, it's hard to put your finger on it. It just feels hard when you're watching. It just feels hard out there for guys to play. It just doesn't feel like we're in much of a rhythm."
    He apparently has no idea what's wrong with the team. He's just as confused as the players, no one is at fault.

"We just talked about energy and effort and coming out and communicating and playing together. All the things that we talk about all the time. Like I said, I don't know. We just didn't seem to have any pop and we...our pop is coming and going. Sometimes we have it and other times we have no pop...no zip...coming out and just banging and hitting on all cylinders."

Again...the idea that he has no idea. There's something called film you know. Doc Rivers and their team wake up and go to sleep with film of the last night's game they know EXACTLY what's wrong because they wake up at early in the morning the next day to WATCH what's wrong. McHale keeps saying he has no idea but its pretty much the same issues again and again. A real coach would tell the media its the fault of everyone on the team and they will definitely look at film to improve, not like this guy's method of being confused and lost all the time.

17. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Rockets don't review game film?

18. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

(insert joke re: instagram photo of Harden sleeping on plane in front of film here)

19. Zergling

Zergling Member

I don't disagree with Dwight, but to be fair he lost his battle against Cousins yesterday. Significantly outrebounded and gave up a huge offensive rebound and putback to DMC at the end.

20. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

We need a significant player in the rotation that is a driven *******. Our guys are all good, but no one wants to take the lead. Beverly is good at setting the tone. I think we are missing him big time.