1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Either start Lin, or bring in a new starting PG, Bev ain't cuttin' it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OldfanofTmac, Dec 13, 2013.

1. EnergyGuy

EnergyGuy Rookie

Well, with the Twin Towers, the explanation was you can only do hack a Dwight or hack an Asik, you can't hack them both.

Likewise, Lin and Harden cannot turn the ball over at the same time.

But obviously McHale ONLY doesn't want Lin to turn it over 9 times ;)

2. EnergyGuy

EnergyGuy Rookie

I think Clutch got it right.

At one reputation bar, I'm Patrick Beverley - showing a lot of promise.

At two reputation bars, JeffB is Jeremy Lin - starting to get dangerously good.

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Very solid and objective analysis.

It's difficult in a debate such as this to present your case without the content reeking of some sort of apparent bias. Well done.

4. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Also Lin's defense is suspect, however his offense helps mitigate some the issues. If his offense is off though, his value diminishes.

Offense = Lin
    Defense = Bev
    Rebounding = Bev
    Assist = Lin
    Turnovers = Lin

Starting is not the issue it's who's on the court the last 5 minutes of the game. Lin was great against the Griz. MIT some big 3's and finished at the rim except form a couple missed lay ups.

Please stop the racial hate, not good for anyone!

5. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I would love to see Jlin vs Pbev one on one or what happens in practice when they face each other. Does anyone think Pbev could shut Jlin down?

6. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are right. Both guys turn the ball over a lot when they get over aggressive. Harden is such a superior talent and has such a well developed offensive game that it would be foolish to limit Harden.

Add to that that the last guy you want turning the ball over is your point guard and that your point guard makes some of the most bone headed turnovers, then you pretty much have the situation we have. McHale has little to no tolerance for his point guard casually turning over the ball.

That key discipline, that mental aspect of the game, of not losing focus would help Lin immensely. Go for the simple play, the direct pass. No need to get sloppy or jump in the air with no place to go or pull up your dribble in the middle of the lane while guarded. Lin has a ways to go and I am not completely sure McHale can get him there. In the end, it is up to Lin.

Bottom line is Bev gives McHale what the coach envisions more than does Lin, at the moment.

7. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Yes, because it's practice. We talking about practice, not the game, practice. Also, players aren't dumb enough to try and get hurt in practice. Once again, we talking bout practice.

Sorry, couldn't resist the AI practice rant. :grin:

8. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

No worries, I'm glad we have both to pic each other up if the other isn't playing well

9. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

That's the best thing about having both Bev & Lin, they're completely different in strengths and can be alternated based on needs. Have good chemistry, play well in the same backcourt because they compliment each other. It's a win-win.

10. roxxy

roxxy Member

Bev said that Lin was the hardest player to guard on the team so I would imagine that he would have some trouble staying in front of Lin.

11. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

I agree

And the Rockets made a mistake here, hope it will be fixed soon

12. bws

bws Member

In other words, play safe. That mentality isn't good for Jeremy Lin. And do you really think he is the only point guard that turns the ball over? And you're exaggerating the number of times Lin jumps in the air with nowhere to go, it's not that often. He's also getting better at the "Nash" like dribbling into the paint, keeping his dribble and then pulling it back out if there's nothing, he doesn't pick up his dribble that much when guarded. And no, he should not always go for the simple pass. He should pass with confidence and sometimes he'll get picked off. It's not always Lin, sometimes it is chemistry with other players where he thinks they are going one way and they go another. He'll make mistakes, and if McHale is smart, he'll notice how J Lin comes up big in so many games when he plays through them.

13. MonKing

MonKing Member

Curry had a triple-double last night so no one minded his 7 turnovers.

14. bws

bws Member

http://stats.nba.com/playerGameLogs.html?PlayerID=201939&pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=25

He's got a good amount of games with 5, 6, 7, 8 turnovers. Yes he has the ball more but he is a PG and he turns it over. But of course Curry is a wonderful player and can put the ball in the net though he's just average at defense.

Guys just harp on Lin's weaknesses and babble on about his TOs way too much. For that he shouldn't start yet he's one of the best penetrators/finishers in the league, has better than average court vision, average to above average defense, plenty games of turning it on in the 4th quarter, good at steals and is only in his 2nd full year as a full-time player. Plus, he raises the games of DMo and T Jones if anyone hasn't noticed. Of course he makes too many stupid mistakes, but he does a lot of good, great and sometimes spectacular winning stuff out there on the court as well. And no, he's not a safe player. He's a little on the edge of making a nice play or screwing up and that's part of the fun of watching him play.

1 person likes this.
  15. conquistador#11

when you drive so much and you get caught in no man's land, bad things will happen. that's why harden is one of the leaders in turnovers. And when you're doing it straight up man to man, no pick, that leaves another defender and his 2 arms to get his paws and distract. you drive a lot, you will turn it over. good thing he is also one of the top finishers at the rim.

Lin should use the mid range jumper a little more. also, those long football passes that were completed last year are getting picked off all the time. get rid of those.

16. Chris Jent MVP

I don't want to be Patrick Beverley anymore ;.;

17. Rocknation

Rocknation Member

I would question the defense assertion you made. Lin shut down Parker, which Beverley couldn't do. As well Lin contained Conley a few days ago.

1 person likes this.
  18. Rocknation

Rocknation Member

we have that just don't like Lin for whatever reason. I remember Harden getting 7 or 8 TOs in a game, not one of the haters brought that to attention.

19. Rocknation

Rocknation Member

I don't know if you're trolling or not. Lin has played better than Beverley this year while being more consistent. I like Bev as a player, but what you say is just your own opinion. It's funny that you bring up the same old weaknesses that was brought up 2 years ago by SAS. Lin is no by perfect but your critique of him is harsh and to some extent out-dated .

Harden, I wouldn't consider a superior talent at this point. He is a very efficient player but his playmaking ability and passing ability is not superior than Lin. Both need to improve and that is really the bottom line with the Rockets. Also, Harden plays basically the PG for long stretches and he turns the ball over a TON when he gets reckless

20. bws

bws Member

I don't mind the football passes when he makes them. If more of them are picked off than not, then I agree with you. He used to be great at them but he's been scouted or they don't work against long-armed opponents. More mid-range is desired, especially with teams with shotblockers like Davis or Ibaka.