1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ricky Rubio

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Totally different situations.

Tony Parker was a not a very good shooter from range. However, he has almost always been a great finisher around the basket-- pretty much 65% or over FG% at the rim every year other than his rookie season when he was 19 years old. He also was a decent enough midrange shooter to at least make defenders think about closing out on him.

Rubio, on the other hand, really sucks at finishing around the basket as Zach Lowe notes. His FG% at the rim has been roughly 45-48% during his NBA career.

With jump shots, player often get better at as they practice. Kyle Lowry is an example of this in recent Rockets history. I'm not sure if there is a long list of guys who has gone from being miserable at finishing around the basket to being good at it.

Rubio just seems to lack the tools to be a good at the rim-- doesn't really have the quickness to just get past guys, the explosiveness to jump over guys, the strength to finish with contact or the touch to toss in floaters and other tricky shots into the basket at a high rate.

I can see Rubio become a solid jump shooter from range, actually, just don't think that he'll ever improve his ability to finish in the paint to even being average among PGs.

This is not to say that Rubio is doomed as a player. It's just that his one big weakness is not one as easily fixed as jump shooting often is.

#41 Carl Herrera, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Parker was 5th among all point guards in shooting percentage his second year in the league.

3. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

Is this a joke? Jason Kidd is #3 in all time 3 pointers made if I'm not mistaken.

4. NotChandlerParsons

I swear I've made this post before, but Jason Kidd could make layups if nothing else early on in his career.

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

yea i know that's my point, his 1st year % was one of the worst and he improved.

i think rubio's injuries have impeded his progress, he's only played around nba 100 games. if he can stay healthy and play 70+ games a year he can improve.

bottom line is i think he can improve his jumper and get defenders to respect it which in turn will help his basket finishing.

6. Yohohoho

Yohohoho Member

Sorry Rubio doesn't fit this team.

We need some who can:
    Pass the ball but doesn't touch the ball too much.
    Spot up shooter but cannot shoot too much.
    In your face defender but cannot get any fouls.
    Superstar stats but on a vet minimum contract.

Rubio does not fit.
    Lin does not fit.
    Beverley does not fit.
    Brooks does not fit.
    Dragic does not fit.

7. playdo

playdo Member

I was listening the B.S. Report and I became really curious. Here are some clips of his shot attempts against Clippers game. His shots look line driven and way off the mark. He's regressing they said. I agree. He's not finishing well around the rim either.

8. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

Ill pass on someone who is on pace to have statistically the worst shooting % for a season in NBA history.

Thanks tho.

9. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I wouldn't have wanted this trade even back when I was very disappointed in Lin and I certainly don't want it now.

10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Pass on Rubio.

He's solid but I think we're approaching the point of accepting the fact that he was wayyyyy overhyped. I mean, this is the dude that was taken ahead of Steph Curry. He's a Marvin Williams.

Regardless, like a poster already said, the Wolves likely aren't trading him.

11. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Rubio is apparently on pace to be one of the worst shooters in the modern era. Eddy Curry and Daequan Cook are the only players in the last 30-35 years to have a FG% of less than 38%. Rubio is about to hit that mark at the end of the season with a 35.6% shooting

12. mirus

mirus Member

I always failed to understand why his shooting wont improve after all these years

13. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

You couldn't possibly pick a worse PG to put next to Harden.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We need some goons off the bench and Rubio as the bench facilitator and defender

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Are you trying to get me fired?

Reported Rick Adelman-Daryl Morey story. I'll never forget.

16. rokit

rokit Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>(1/2) Rubio confidant on 5-yr/no 5-yr ext. idea: &quot;Value still high around league &amp; a lot of teams would def. be interested in his services.&quot;</p>&mdash; Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/414096905275060224">December 20, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>(2/2) Me talking now: Reading the tea leaves, Rubio people expect the 5-yr max extension offer next offseason. Will be interesting. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23twolves&amp;src=hash">#twolves</a></p>&mdash; Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/414097202080784384">December 20, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

It really is a misnomer to say Rubio can't shoot. Rubio can't score. Parker even at a young age could score. So could Kidd before he developed his shot. Rondo could score even now despite not having a 3pt shot. All of those players could score with the best of them.

Rubio can't score. There's not a single spot on the court where he can score efficiently from. There's not a single spot where defenders have to prevent him from getting to. He simply can't score right now. That's the difference between him and any star players he's being compared to.

18. sun12

sun12 Member

Fans always buy high and sell low. Before a player comes to the Rox, fans emphasize on their positive side. After a player comes to the Rox, fans pay more attention to players' weakness.

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Do not want. He is just a terrible fit for this team and as Meh poitned out, he CAN'T score at all..