1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Omer Asik Trade. Rumors, Tweets and Updates. (Deadline Dec 20th)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheDr34m, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

The deadline on feb 20th makes all the difference in leverage. An artificial deadline for the Rox only works in part because it forces other teams to put their best offer in or risk another team get Asik. That's moreys way of creating artificial leverage. It works but not as well as feb 20 will because come feb 20 all 30 teams have to complete trades by then. This creates a real sense of urgency on everyone's part so more pieces get moved and more deals get done. Right now the dec 20 deadline only works for teams that want to repackage trade assets by feb 20th.

And as the other poster said I think dm pulling out shows strength, discipline and resolve....not weakness. I think it tells other gms he won't be leveraged into a deal that doesn't make sense for him. The only price he has to pay is another 2 months of a useless and disgruntled center sitting on his bench. I'd pay that price to get a better deal come feb 20th.

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I like the reporting now. Talks are dead. We come to CF.net tomorrow....ASIK TRADED!

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Do you know what top agents are good for? They're supposed to HELP facilitate trades and signings in the background. They're suppose to go to a team with another client of theirs, and say, "I know you want Asik. Compromise with Morey, get things done. And I'll owe you in the future. I'll make sure you get the first word in when one of my players becomes a FA."

If Arn Tellum is worth all his accolades, he'll run the phones to find a good fit, not tell Asik to sit out for 2 years and make crap in FA.

4. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

yea I hope you guys are right cuz it seems like asik is losing value everyday he is here

5. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I've been thinking the same thing

6. TheDr34m

TheDr34m Contributing Member

254 pages later we find out the "Asik Trade" was some big charade!

7. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

My biggest issue with Asik staying for the time being is pretty simple - chemistry.

We can sit here and act like he'll forget about it all, but I can almost guarantee you no matter what, he's not going to give it 100% anymore.

Asik's days as a proud Rocket are over, the guy wants out, whether it be now or February.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

how is asik losing value? I dont get that

9. sweetcat

sweetcat Member

Unfortunately it's not the same . His averages are dropped , he showed a huge unprofessionalism ( is it a word ? ) . Only millsap's name came up in trade talks for FA signings . And for picks , only boston offered one . We should get a better offer in summer .

Morey took a huge risk , he bluffed in a strange way , but it didn't work . Actually I'm happy that this team has two good centers . But Omer will be gone 1.5 years and houston will get nothing in return .

I think combining omer with d-mo could have increased this trade value...

10. TheRealAllpro

playing 12 mins a game doesn't exactly exude value

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Even if it's irrational, I can see the declining value argument. He was a stud last year for us, but that's last year. Now he's older, supposedly nursing injuries, and featuring his first ever attitude problem.

The further we get from last year, the more his value will drop (in at least some circles).

I'm not saying I agree or that smart GMs think like what I've said above, but I understand people worrying about declining value on Asik.

12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

It may sound like Morey is such a GM stud, but given that there are only 26 ? general managers it will make it harder to do trades in the future.

The stunt will probably not be appreciated by some of them.

The way to do this was to let the word out that he really wanted to make a trade by today. Not turn it into a big media event.

What was gained?

#5072 glynch, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Another case where perception may win over fact. And in this case, some of the facts are true (bad attitude/injuries).

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

It does to the Rockets. Keep Howard fresh for the playoffs and ensure 48 minutes of interior presence on defense.

I personally prefer that to Bass and Lee.

15. TheRealAllpro

well that's great if you want asik to play out his contract not if you want to trade him

16. bmd

bmd Member

Omer is really protesting.

1 person likes this.
  17. meh

meh Contributing Member

Morey was actually quite content with this scenario happening. The Rockets rate Asik value absurdly high for this team. You may disagree with that assessment. And it's clear most other GMs do. But Morey obviously believes 15 minutes of Asik is better than whatever has been offered out there. Doesn't mean he's right or wrong. But that is his assessment.

Oh, and if the Rockets don't trade Asik nor Lin for a contract beyond 2015, letting Asik expire gives us max cap space in that offseason. The offseason of Rondo, Love, Aldridge, and Marc Gasol.

18. TheRealAllpro

well I think 15 mins of asik is very high. it's sad though other gms don't value him.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

Howard averaged 34mpg last year in Lakers. That would make it 14mpg for Asik if he kept the same workload here in Houston. But he certainly doesn't have to. Add a few more blowouts, and add some games like Memphis where Asik finished the game because the subs were playing great, and it's easily conceivable that he gets 15mpg.

Unlike most coaches, and with the side effect of horrifying many Lin fans, McHale likes to go with the hot hands and isn't afraid to use backups when they're playing better than the starters. There will be numerous nights when Asik outplays Howard and gets a ton of minutes. And Howard would be fine with it, because he needs to save himself for the playoffs.

20. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I totally disagree. Asik now knows that Morey has a "reserve auction price" on him and won't deal him for anything less than fair value. If Asik wants out of Houston early, he has no choice but to raise his value in the eyes of the other GMs. This means busting his butt every time he's on the court.

Pout and play crappy on the court, and Asik potentially stays a backup center for the rest of the year (if not the rest of his contract), which would likely affect the size of his next contract.

Play hard and make nice with his teammates, and he might get traded and reclaim a starting center role elsewhere (with the potential for a bigger payday when his contract is up).

Which would you choose?