1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Casspi and Garcia

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I don't know the stats or any metrics behind these two guys other than watching every game. I really am not feeling either one. Garcia had a great post seasons last year but I just don't like him in the regular rotation. His defense and propensity for fouling are hurting us this year. We need a true sniper or an actual defender in that role.

Casspi was supposed to be this great shooter from the corner and he doesn't seem to take that shot often. Otherwise he plays a strange offensive game and doesn't have the physical tools to get a good shot in a one on one situation.

I really think that we need to upgrade the bench. It may take a year or so but I am not a fan of this being our plan going into the offseason. IIRC Carlos was more effective than both.

2. WNBA

WNBA Member

Garcia and Casspi are for the run and gun style. Rockets' offense has changed away from that. Now they have to face a lot of defense when shooting 3s.

3. Play07

Play07 Member

correct, casspi is not going to get those looks like delfino and garcia got last year.

4. SpecialC

SpecialC New Member

Casspi needs to catch and shoot only. He keeps on trying to catch and go inside. Stop dribbling its not your strong suit.

5. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Although sometimes not the greatest on the floor, Garcia is reportedly a locker room favorite.

I think Casspi's 'trying to do too much' label comes from his natural desire to please his fans back home. It sounds like a lot of his country is tuned in and watching him play, so I bet he's trying to do more than just shoot... he wants to prove that he's a bigger cog in the system.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I was never really big into Casspi as anything more than a 10-12th man. I understand Casspi is supposed to shoot when he's out there, but I could go with a little less wild crossovers followed by off-balance shots. And Garcia just got way overrated here because he played good D on Durant for a few games and was shooting very well in the preseason.

When we have an on-court lineup that includes Casspi, Garcia, Bev, Lin/Brooks... we're gonna have a bad time. Brooks and Casspi can't guard anyone; Garcia's defensive strategy is to foulfoulfoul; Lin is sometimes a good defender and sometimes bad. On offense, that lineup depends on Lin playing at a James Harden level and on Casspi and Garcia hitting their shots. And when he's not and/or they're not, we get hammered. So we end up playing Harden 40 minutes per game.

Casspi:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Agreed that Garcia is probably the emotional leader. I just forgot in my OP. Thing that hurts us the most is that neither are above average at anything. I wish Casspi was Kyle Korver and we were just giving Parsons those 4 spot minutes.

8. finsraider

finsraider Member

They were our best options at the time. Until we can/will use our MLE, our bench won't improve significantly.

9. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Garcia, who's re-signing I absolutely clamored for, has been one of the biggest disappointments this year. He has regressed offensively and I'm starting to miss Delfino whom I barely tolerated last year. Was Garcia injured during the summer, couldn't put in any off-season work?

Casspi's been okay. Must admit, it's become painful to watch him dribble, drive and miss layups now, but I think this will pay dividends for us in the end. I'm fine with him continuing to develop his offensive game outside the catch-n-shoot, so he can become a more versatile shooter/scorer which would help us offensively when his/the team's 3s don't fall.

10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I'm fine with Casspi, but Garcia needs to be out of the rotation. I'd rather Casspi play the three and let dmo get some time at the 4.

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

They are set shooters, they are getting the ball to ISO which is bad.We don't have a system that takes advantage of any of our players strength. We win games just on pure talent.

12. Penetrate&Creat

Everytime Dmo is given some burn, he sucked. Not too sure on him anymore.

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Another thing, they are not stretch 4's

14. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

I think they're fine honestly. They have some droughts but what players dont? Garcia needs to play better D and caspi goes out of his element i've noticed a few times these past few games. but overall i think they'll be ok.

I think that second team with lin/asik was fine until asik decided to quit on us.

15. MazelTov

MazelTov Member

Quite frankly I think both of them are not doing too bad, I mean maybe yes I do opine that Garcia is in a slump right now, and you can probably see it on your own but I honestly think it's a matter of time, it happens, we can't expect nothing too big from him because he is just a decent player, not more than that, definitely a good role player in a contender team (same goes for Casspi)
    I believe Garcia will eventually get back to his rhythm and start hitting those three-point shots because this is his strength as an NBA player.

About Casspi, I don't reckon that Casspi is in a slump, Casspi is just inconsistent, he has been inconsistent throughout his short NBA career, one game he can score 16 points and really be the spark of the bench and in the other game you can see him a little bit lost, but overall I think Casspi is giving a very decent production of the bench to this team, he contributes a lot and plays with effort, definitely deserves his spot on this team no doubt about it.

16. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

After i think about i do miss carlos delf3no :(

17. Oracle

Oracle Member

I agree with this. I would not make too much of the Kings game. The Kings were just very pumped up because of the last roster movement. A lot of players wanting to make a statement. At the same time the Rockets seemed to have a problem to get a full team on the floor. Don't make a mistake, the Kings have become a much better team.

Concerning Casspi and Garcia, I would not be too critical either. Their game was not at par in SAC. The offensive game was stagnant probably because Hardens ankle. Casspi and Garcia are not good at that type of play. Casspi get banged every time he goes to the rim, but unfortunately he does not always get the call despite clear fouls. He is usually not able to score when fouled so he does not get the 2+1 possibilities. He must learn to score also when fouled.

Garcia seems little trigger happy with his threes, but I think it is correct as long as the shot clock justifies the shot. Overall Houston has to find a way to return to the much faster tempo attack mode. The team is not good without this signature game. Again: MOVE THE BALL!

18. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Agreed. I wish Parsons played even more minutes. 48 min at least.

19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Parsons would just play more at the 4 and less at the 3. Korver would be a great SG/SF on the bench for this team.

20. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Just hypothetical.... What if Casspi and Garcia remained on the team but were pushed to the bench by a duo of Courtney Lee and Jeff Green?