1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Either start Lin, or bring in a new starting PG, Bev ain't cuttin' it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OldfanofTmac, Dec 13, 2013.

1. cdblue10

cdblue10 Member

Where did you find on my post that I said Lin is better than Harden?I said Lin helped us to get in a playoff last year.Are you not understanding my post or you just want to twist it?For your question who is better,definitely it's Harden.Ahh I see you want to label me as LOF,stop it dude I probably know more about Houston Rockets than you are!

2. bws

bws Member

You guys are just being predictable. Paul V. is right. It's like a doubter-nation with Lin. Of course Lin's defense wasn't as strong as it could be, he's not in 100 percent basketball flow. Beverley has been playing all along. I saw Lin play Lilliard great in the previous game, you conveniently forget that and Bev struggle with him while Bev came off of an injury. Now you can crow on about how Lin was torched by Mo Williams and other utter nonsense. Truth is, for many games, Beverley is playing safe as an offensive player and hustling as a defensive player. But if you don't see how Lin is the guy with his penetrating skills and see-the-floor and make things happen abilities and get a steal go coast to coast and ignite the team or other types of plays abilities, then you have an agenda of put-down Lin for whatever reason, let's trade Lin (like it is a chorus just said by several CF members repeatedly) and don't see how he helps the Rockets immensely when used right. Lin has been playing great this season, respect that. Beverley has too in his strengths but as a starting point guard, his offensive game is not strong enough for the minutes he's playing without at least having a lot of those minutes with Lin besides him.

3. Play07

Play07 Member

Bringing in Iggy & millsapp this summer to our run and gun YOUNG team would have been the perfect fit. I have no reason to believe that we wouldn’t have the same record as the blazers or better. Would have 2 leaders that have experience. Millsapp at the 4 would have been great and iggys perimeter D and fast break points would have fit like a glove.

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Bev's defense has been good, his hustle play great but man he needs to work on his O and esp his 3 point shooting. We need him shooting at least 40% from downtown considering his wide open on most of his 3's as teams just play off him and double Harden or Howard.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I want to make it clear were do you rank Lin in terms of team? I think he's the 5th best player. I'll ignore your broken English and dismissive tone about my Rockets knowledge.

Btw, Lin wasn't the worst player on the team yesterday. That honor goes to Parsons who looked like a D-League scrub.

6. bws

bws Member

Chemistry won't see that. Chemistry thinks Lin isn't worth the money and should be traded. That's just what he thinks.

7. torocan

torocan Member

If this were true they would both be All Star level talents, and we'd have no chance of having them on the roster.

NY would have matched the poison pill without blinking.
    Beverley would have still been in the NBA and not in Russia.

Beverley was a find *because* he has a limited game.
    And it was possible to get Lin because he wasn't a finished product. He was a decent player that showed potential to get considerably better.

The amount of time people spend wondering why their players aren't playing at All Star levels when they're making far from All Star salaries is something I've always found perplexing...

8. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

What negative thing did Clutch say about Lin?

The only post that I've seen is his reply to people bashing Beverly.

Is that the quote that upset you? That quote doesn't even mention Lin! Why would that upset you?

It's not an all or nothing thing where you have to either love Lin and hate Beverly or love Beverly and hate Lin. There is a middle ground where you can actually like both guys.

Just because Clutch posted facts to show that Beverly had a positive impact last night that doesn't mean that he's saying something negative about Lin. It is possible for both guys to play well some nights. If I point out that Asik plays well one game do you also assume that I don't like Dwight Howard?

One thing that I can tell you about CF is that if you make a statement with no basis in fact then somebody is going to call you on it. That's what Clutch did...he just stated facts. It just as easily could have been a statment about Lin that he was correcting.

9. FOBolous

FOBolous Member

Yup. Beverly did an AMAZING job. especially with his 4 (or more) airballs? that play he initiated that resulted in that one airball during that crucial stretch of the 4th quarter...that was AMAZING. he's so much better than Lin. so much better.

10. cdblue10

cdblue10 Member

It seems your English is perfect as how you construct your questions and sentences.I'll put him 5th overall.

11. bws

bws Member

Disagree. He played poorly on offense. Not well at all. And the answer isn't Lin because you say so or what Lin has actually done this season?

12. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

No team is perfect, each has a hole in their starting lineups.

1. Pacers - Lance and George Hill are iffy at times, especially in big games.
    2. Heat - No center whatsoever and gets murdered on the boards
    3. OKC - Kendrick Perkins, no need to say more and the SG spot is up in the air
    4. Portland - No Center and bench isn't that strong
    5. Clippers - Bench and can't score consistently in the half court... Also no SG or SF presence
    6. Rockets - No consistent scoring from PG's, PF's and Bench...

Bottom line everyone has holes, but you know how you cover those holes up is by playing D and Rebounding and that is why the Pacers are #1 period!!

13. Geaux Rockets

Geaux Rockets Member

Did this thread really get started right after Bev outplayed Lillard? Silliness.

14. FOBolous

FOBolous Member

our maybe our coaching staff is dumb? and i swear some of you have either really short memory or selective memory. what else does Lin have to do to "get noticed" when he was our only consistent, reliable source of scoring at the start of our season when Harden, Parsons, and Howard were struggling. Before Lin went down and Parsons found his touch, he was our 3rd option on offense. There we games we won because of Lin. He sparked our offense and made smart plays....smarter plays than the airballs Beverly had in the 4th quarter vs the Blazers.

15. yummyhawtsauce

1) doing too much, he plays more minutes now. maybe with more minutes and having to play so much hustle defense, he has little energy for offense

2) when he shoots or drives, he sort of looks pretty wild and alot of the time he does not get off a 'clean' shot on his opponents. the only thing that i see him do well is earlier in the season he kept using this floater that worked. havent seen him do this lately

3) the defense is collapsing on him quicker now - so bev does not have a chance to get off a good shot.

16. yummyhawtsauce

6. Lin's decently consistent. He was out the past couple of games. Bench without Lin is inconsistent though.

17. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Nothing against Bev. He is a good defender. Great hustle.

But man, where does his jumpers go? I think he hit pretty much every 3s in the pre-season and even last season his 3 pointers were respectable. Right now he is totally a one-dimensional player. If coaching stuff and "true Rox fans" think he is the starter, so be it.

I am not worried about Jeremy Lin though. He won't stay with Rox for long and will be traded either this season or in the offseason. Let us be honest, he was never accepted by coaching stuff and local Houston fans. I think every party deserves better and it is in everyone's best interest that Lin gets traded. Hopefully it will be around Dec. 19.

18. FOBolous

FOBolous Member

yes. let's trade our best PG and keep an inferior. i don't normally quote BleachersReport but this time, they actually dug up some pretty interesting stats, our team is better both offensively AND defensively with Lin:

When we play a lineup of Jeremy Lin, James Harden, Chandler Parsons, Terrence Jones, Dwight Howard....our team shoots a eFG of .551. When you subsitute Lin with Beverly, our team’s eFG drops to .541.

our best defensive lineup is of Jeremy Lin, James Harden, Chandler Parsons, Omer Asik, Dwight Howard. With this lineup, we hold our opponents to a eFGA is .358. Our opponent's eFGA rises to .458 when you sub Lin with Beverly.

the same thing happens when you switch out Asik with Jones. With Lin, Harden, Parsons, Jones, and Howard, our opponent's eFGA is .398. Sub Beverly with Lin, it rises to .415.

Why is this? Because Lin is the smarter defender and a better team defender. Sure Beverly looks aggressive and bodies his man a lot but that's bout it. he sticks to his man and does nothing else. But there's more to playing defense than just sticking to your man and this is where Lin excels.

19. Karolik

Karolik Member

we didn't need more scoring. we needed better defense from our PFs. Beverley did his job. 1-10 scoring from Lillard is just insane, I would take that any day. If Lillard had put up his normal averages then yes, I would be pissed at Bev's offense.

20. ipuff

ipuff Member

But we could fill the hole at the PG spot instantly by moving Lin back to the starting lineup.

Maybe the team wanted to fill the hole on bench scoring by moving Lin, but resulted in creating another hole?