1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who was the best player ever and why?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by blacksteel69, Apr 19, 2003.

?

Who is the best?

1. Bill Russell

3 vote(s)
    2.3%
  2. Wilt Chamberlain

30 vote(s)
    22.6%
  3. Kareem abdul Jabbar

3 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. Michael Jordan

47 vote(s)
    35.3%
  5. Hakeem Olajuwon

37 vote(s)
    27.8%
  6. Magic Johnson

7 vote(s)
    5.3%
  7. Larry Bird

4 vote(s)
    3.0%
  8. Julius Erving(Dr.J)

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I've seen some ridiculous proclamations, but MJ a quitter? What are you talking about?

The other ridiculous post has Michael and Hakeem on the same level. Let me see, one has 6 rings, beat all comers and is a guard. The other has 2 rings, when the 6 ring guy took time off in his prime. Ridiculous.

I'd have to go with Magic, Jordan, Wilt, Oscar, Kareem, Bird, in that order. But its very hard to compare Centers, with other positions. Can anyone really say they would draft Jordan before Wilt. Even with the benifit of hindsight, I don't know if I could.

2. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

Err, editing is on...

3. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

I respect Bill Russell and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar so much, I spell their names properly. And you couldn't even get Lew Alcindor right.

4. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

When did they turn it back on?? Now I know....thanks.

5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

My All-Time team remains:

Magic, MJ, Drexler, Dr. J, Dream

Run, Run, Run!

6. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I respect your choice, but arent you a bit young to have seen him play??

7. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Doesn't matter man. I'm too young to have seen him play....but imo, he's the best ever, hands down.

8. White Thunder

White Thunder Member

Bird, Hakeem, Wilt

Those three players carried there teams, Bird did this probably more than Hakeem and Wilt

Bird got you 24 points, 11 rebs, and 6 assists. He did that on a team with two other players grabbing double digit rebs. Plus he avg the most assists for a forward in NBA history and shot 89% from the free throw line.

Hakeem is the best all around center. Carried his to to two champs, more so for the the first champ. No one could stop him at all on offense or defense.

Wilt. Per Offense. Man averaged 30ppg. One year avg 50., socred a 100 in one game.

9. robbieg

robbieg Member

1.odom
    2.hakeem
    3.shaq
    4.wilt
    5.jordan
    6.kareem
    7.ming

And Im not joking either.Odom can pass,rebound,score inside or out,vision,dunk,handle,block.

10. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You're not joking about Odom, how about Ming, your whole list has to be a joke, no Magic, Hakeem number 2, that won't fly even on this board.

12. pchan

pchan Member

Kobe and shaq are as good as they come right now.
    Jordan was the best for some times. And Bird and MAgic were the best for a while, and then there were Wilt.. Baylor.. Jabbar, and other who were the best for a while.. but ever is a long time.

It is not right to say so and so is the best ever, just not physically conceivable... they are all among the best according to how you see it.

13. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Bird's team was so stacked, Kevin McHale was coming off the bench. This assertion is rediculous. Oh, and Kareem was better than Hakeem.

14. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Shaq. No doubt about it. He makes the refs kiss his ass. He can stay in the paint for 24 sec, both defensively and offensively. The refs did all their best to help his team to win.

15. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

I voted Hakeem Olajuwon, why? Because he was a Rocket. Here are the best out of what you listed IMO: Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Bill Russell, Hakeem Olajuwon.

16. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

His team was stacked, but McHale came off the bench, because the role suited him, not because he was not good enough to start.

He could have easily started for them, but it was just decided that he was better off the bench.

17. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

Nobody was more dominant than Chamberlain, but MJ is the greatest player ever. No doubt.