1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sixers a "viable destination" for Omer Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SRR21, Dec 8, 2013.

1. vvade

vvade Member

I REALLY like the Sixers if they land Asik after Noel returns. Guaranteed playoff team for the next several years if they keep Asik. The best part is they have time to see if it works, and if it doesn't then they can trade him or let him walk.

Asik - Rebounder, rim defender, can lock down the best centers in the league
    Noel - Having Asik crash the boards allows Noel to do what he does best which is block shots and defend the paint! Next to Hawes who spaces the floor, Noel is forced to focus on rebounds which isn't where he shines.
    Turner - Does a little of everything and he can score.
    Anderson -3 and D guy who can slash.
    MCW - PG who does it all. I love PGs who can rebound.

With Hawes off the bench to backup their bigs, they will make the playoffs. Asik allows Noel to be utilized to the max and Hinkie knows this. He understands the value of having Asik and that the Rockets had no chance of making the playoffs last year without him (even if they retained Dalemnbert).

I believe the Rockets still have a chance of making the playoffs without the Harden trade. It was Martin's contract year and Lin would have helped lead the team despite his early struggles. During that stretch at the end of the season where the Rockets collapsed it would have been nice to have Martin. Harden struggled after suffering two minor injuries and it lasted throughout the second half of the season. Martin is consistent for 3.5 quarters, every night.

2. hahachui

hahachui Member

Yes!
    We need picks and young.. NO TUNER

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am saying he hasn't shown up at games like Ronnie Brewer.
    Well, he might have contributed in 1 or 2 games.
    He had one game of 15 points that was his high given that coach does not play him.
    Young would take away his minutes if he was going to stay. I do not have to tell you this. Any veteran guy with consistent production will.

There is no agenda on my part. Either he can play or he can't. Or he is traded.
    All you can hope is that he isn't traded and that he improves as much as the other youngster.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Saying this again and again won't change the fact that he had requested a trade for 2nd or 100th time.
    The man does not value Houston, the coaching staff and FO that much.
    He has put us into this situation of immense pressure in the first place otherwise he should just play out his 2 seasons.

5. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

It'd have to be Asik + filler for either both Hawes and Young, or Asik for one of them plus the New Orleans first rounder. Asik for one of them straight up is not enough, Morey can do better.

6. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Thad has a 3 year contract that is worth almost $30 million dollars. Thanks but no thanks, especially because I believe Jones will be a very good player in the near future. Give me Spencer Hawes for Omer Asik. Stretch 5 with the backup unit would work wonders.

7. Raven

Raven Member

He'd be a rental. The dude is going to get offers to start and make big bucks. Because of that, I'd want a first round pick, as well, yet I don't see Philly coughing up that much.

8. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

With Jones' leap, I don't think Thad Young should be a priority.

Why not Asik + Motiejunas for Turner and Hawes? Maybe swap picks or something.

We get a back-up center in return, who can light up from range, potentially playing alongside Howard and we get a jack-of-all-trades type of player in Turner, who is currently lighting it up right now. He and Lin would make our bench extremely killer. Plus, can allow us to save Garcia for the playoffs.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It would be a dream. Garcia is just not meant to play 80 games consistently.

10. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

How about Turner and his Bird rights?

#110 shastarocket, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  11. Remii

Remii Member

If Philly is the trade partner _ Morey's #1 thing he probably wants is the New Orleans 1st round pick that Philly got when they traded Holiday and either Hawes, Turner, or Wroten... I seriously doubt Young is a target _ unless Morey intends on switching out TJ in the trade which I doubt.

12. kage111

kage111 Member

I think we should trade asik + dmo + first round pick for turner + hawes. Philly won't just hand them over so adding the first round pick will try and pursue them. Who knows, we could just offer a second round pick and they bite, but i know they aren't stupid enough to just hand us over turner + hawes.

13. EnergyGuy

EnergyGuy Rookie

Only possible in the East ...

14. basketballholic

I don't think Hawes would be a rental. Portland likes him and wants him. I think we re-sign him or he becomes a part of a sign-and-trade to a team that does not have the cap space to sign him outright.

15. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Pass!! We don't need Thaddeus now that we have TJ playing solid at the PF position! What we do need is a legitimate back-up center and a lock-down wing defender! The only one that I'd take from the Sixers is Spencer Hawes, I think he would be a nice fit IF he would accept the backup role to Dwight, but I'm not sure he would, and then were stuck with Asik2.0 all over again...:(

16. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

Yeah, it's pretty hard to take any rumored trade seriously if it doesn't include us getting a viable backup center in return.

A lot of people are seriously underestimating the value of having Omer Asik play all the minutes that Dwight Howard doesn't. It essentially elevates the bench to at least a league-average team based purely on what Asik brings to the table on defense. You could surround him with scrubs and his defense alone will prevent the team from being anything more than average.

And you know that you aren't going to have Asik out there with scrubs. Basically, having both Asik and Howard guarantees that you will be able to contend on any given night against most of the teams in the NBA, except maybe a full-strength top-tier team (i.e, the Heat with nobody injured). It also gives you a huge insurance plan should Howard go down to injury for more than a few games.

What we get in return doesn't have to be an Asik-caliber player, but it does have to be someone who is at least adequate for the position defensively. D-Mo and Greg Smith are clearly subpar defenders, and it causes a huge drop in the team's performance overall whenever Howard isn't on the floor. Since you are talking about anywhere from 20%-40% of the total minutes played, that's a huge proportion of the time to be playing with what is essentially a below-average team.

A lot of people are underestimating the value Asik provides over the course of the season and are overestimating the gap between any of our current starters and whomever we could get in exchange. Harden is probably the best SG in the league (defensive issues notwithstanding). Lin has, for this season thus far, been a Top 5-10 PG. Howard is arguably the best center. Parsons is comfortably Top 20, and Jones is young and has actually been producing at an above-average clip since he started.

There isn't really a reason to trade Asik unless you get serious depth in return. We're talking a good backup center and at least a starting-caliber PF/SF type player. There are very few teams with those kinds of resources to trade, let alone who would be willing to do so in exchange for just Omer Asik.

Barring some crazy ridiculous multi-team exchange of a dozen players across multiple positions, the only other reasonable expectation would be that we trade Omer Asik for a backup center and a couple of high draft picks. But this would be Morey leveraging some of today's contention for (hopefully) long-term viability tomorrow. If you were serious about wanting to go all-in for a championship, then that would not be in the team's best interests during the Harden/Howard contention cycle.

17. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I agree in every point, except about the possibility of those picks not helping us this year. Never, Never underestimate the power of "The Morey", he could very easily (knowing Morey) parlay those picks in another trade to acquire a player that would help us this year!

Forrest Gump:
    "My mama said, Morey's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get"...;)

18. eman

eman Contributing Member

Any word on how Camby's coming along?

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You might be placing too much stock in this "immense pressure" that Asik's "pouting" (other posters' word) has placed on Morey, McHale, and Les.

I think Asik was going to be traded anyway, and sooner rather than later.

The fault belongs to the organization for not trading Asik straightaway last summer, although I admit the offers might have been low at that time (some teams didn't know if they would not suck [Philly, Boston]).

I said it at the time, foreigners don't have that American gift of outward pretense.

"Omer, we'll put you alongside Dwight, it'll be great!"

"Omer thinks it not work. Omer thinks you are lying to he."

"Look, just suck it up for a couple months, and be a professional. Come December 15 we'll find you a new team. Then we'll talk turkey, okay?"

"What? 'Talk Turkey'? Omer has contract. You cannot send Omer back to Turkey."

"Hunh? No....it's just an expression. 'Talk turkey' means 'talk business', 'talk straight'.....you understand?"

(long, painful, unblinking pause) "No."

"Look, just wait til December, okay?"

In any case, Hinkie at Philly has learned a thing or two from Morey. Let's see what shakes out. Could even be that Morey makes Boston or Atlanta or Toronto step up their offers.

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

Isn't anyone worried about Hinkie screwing the Rockets?

The Royce White trade was somewhat costly. The Rockets had to pay Royce's remaining salary and then some. Cash considerations are limited now. They won't have most of it to use as an asset for future trades this season and on draft day now. Furkan Aldemir was consisdered first round talent.