1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros acquire Dexter Fowler

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by justtxyank, Dec 3, 2013.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think the point being made was simply that just because someone had wacky home/road splits in COL, it didn't mean they weren't capable of being successful elsewhere.

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Lets hope it wasn't the thin Colorado air that was responsible for his home/road split.

3. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

makes sense. thanks for the clarification! you too, juicystream (never thought i'd ever type the moniker "juicystream" in my life....so double thanks for that.

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Is aceshigh Jordan Lyles?

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It isn't just the thin air there.

Coors Field is one of the BIGGEST outfields in the majors. They built it that way to try to minimize the amount of HR's, but all it really did was increase the ground that OF'ers have to cover, which can turn singles into doubles, doubles into triples, etc.

The stadium leads the league in total hits in park factor... that's not just a product of more pop fly HR's.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Not if the word "ace" is in his moniker.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

They moved the fences back, and everyone kind of saw that coming.

8. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I like the deal, two guys highly thought of that have disappointed their franchises so far. Fowler has at least shown the ability at the major league level to possibly reach expectations, lyles really hasn't though he is still really young.

I think Rockies just wanted to rid the salary

9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Beyond the Box Score: Evaluating an Enigma: Dexter Fowler

Highlighted is the various health issues he's experienced, and despite these issues, he's still posted above-average OPS figures compared to the average switch-hitter.

10. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

11. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Jordan Lyles
    5-0 2.66 ERA 32K 14W 1.09WHIP .223 OPP BA

Dexter Fowler
    .241 AVG 2HR 10RBI 19R .338OBP

So, a fifth of the way in and Fowler has thus far proven to be exactly what I said many times in this thread, below average to average, and overpaid for the production he brings. We could have gotten similar production from any number of players in AAA or AA, at a fraction of the price. Meanwhile, look what Lyles has given the Rockies.

I hope many of you who vehemently defended this lame trade feel a bit foolish now. Will bump again later in the season when we have a bigger sample size, but thus far, the results are overwhelming.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

You win. 20% into the season and you've clearly already won. No need to check back later or even next season.

1 person likes this.
  13. Swag

Swag Member

perfect for the Lastros lol

14. Buck Turgidson

Sometime the "needs a change of scenery" cliche is true.

Also, it helps to have a competent defense behind you:

"I'm making better pitches with guys in scoring position," said Lyles. "I haven't been too good at that in the past. I don't know the reason, but I'm better this year."

A lot better. Lyles had given up a .321 average with runners in scoring positions during his days with the Astros. Hitters are 5-for-24 against him in that situation this year, a .208 average.

Why? More confidence makes a pitcher more aggressive in the strike zone.

"It is still the same stuff," said Lyles. "I'm not an overpowering guy. It's been the same game plan."

And then came the admission.

"A major reason is the other guys in here," Lyles said. "I have to do my part, and don't have to do any more. This is a talented club. They do the rest. This offense is nice to pitch behind, and the infield defense is one of the best in the National League. Every night they make special plays.

"I saw that in Spring Training. I just have to get guys to hit the ball on the ground. Those infielders do the rest."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140506&content_id=74495288&vkey=news_col&c_id=col

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So the team failed Lyles?

I thought he was rushed up, and that's why he was bad? Guess they all figure it out eventually, and rushing doesn't always = ruin.

I was indifferent about the trade... still am, actually. Lyles was never considered to be a big part of this team's future if/when they start winning... and I doubt Fowler will be either.

16. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

You're right, we should never trade a player ever because they just may do a complete 180 and perform like they never have at any point in their career.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I think Lyles will end the season with an ERA north of 4.

I'm actually more amazed by the way Barnes has played for them.

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think we could have given more time to lyles. Fowler's home away splits have not been good and he is old.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Last year, Lyles had a 7 game stretch with an ERA around 1.6 over 44+ innings. Even with that he finished with an ERA over 5.50.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!