1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros acquire Dexter Fowler

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by justtxyank, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

What are you sorry about J.R. ?

Go Stros!!

1 person likes this.
  2. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

Anyone have insights as to how "player to be named" works in trades? Is it a set standard or do the terms (type of player, level, time by which to choose) vary from trade to trade?

Love this deal by the way. Getting a legit lead-off type bat is paramount and he immediately becomes the best hitter in our lineup (sad, but true).

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

There's normally either a list of players they agree to ahead of time that the receiving team can choose from when the time comes OR they agree on a player that can't be traded right now and they'll name him once eligible.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

In this case probably a list of players. Draft picks from 2013 wouldn't be eligible within 6 months, and international signees are rarely moved so young.

5. Xercules

Xercules Member

How do y'all think they'll arrange Springer and Fowler?

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Stacked.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think Springer is the better fielder..and ultimately he'll be the CF.

8. juicystream

For me the trade seems pretty lateral, but does have high upside for this season.

Trading Lyles helps clear a somewhat crowded rotation (Cosart, Harrell, Oberholtzer, Woj, Peacock, Martinez, Keuchel, and a veteran addition expected to compete for 5 spots).

Fowler's splits scare me. If he's similar to the player he is on the road, he's not an improvement over Hoes/Grossman.

9. Xercules

Xercules Member

Agreed. Fowler in LF or RF? I was thinking right since our LF is so short, but an article I read speculated him taking over in left so Carter doesn't have to be out there.

10. juicystream

Depends on Fowler's arm strength.

I lean towards Fowler in CF, and Springer in RF.

11. Xercules

Xercules Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Per Mike Fast, <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Rockies&amp;src=hash">#Rockies</a> 2013 draftees are not the PTBNL in the Fowler deal.</p>&mdash; Brian Hamilton (@BHam2421) <a href="https://twitter.com/BHam2421/statuses/408274863975981056">December 4, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. juicystream

Carter will be at 1B or DH.

Hoes/Grossman figure to both see time in left where they profile best defensively.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

At this point the Astros need to take risks on high upside and be damned with solid players.

14. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Does this trade reflect well for Crane at all? Does Crane have to give the okay to sign a guy who is due 7mil a year? I know it's not much, but it makes him the most paid Astro on the team by a long shot. Maybe I am just looking for a read on Crane, but it is nice to see us trade for some MLB level talent with upside.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Springer is a vastly superior fielder with better range.

16. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

And also a superior arm. Springer might be better than fowler in cf but the team is likely better with springer in RF, fowler in CF and grossman/hoes in LF. Regardless I don't think springer starts the year in Houston. He's probably up in May after the Astros gain another year of team control on him. To start the year I would guess Grossman and Hoes are given a month-long audition to win the left over corner spot.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Yes, the owner has to approve spending. GM's don't make moves they're not empowered to make. If Luhnow were being told to cut the budget or just maintain it from last year, then a deal like this isn't done.

18. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

This was a salary dump by the Rockies so they could sign Morneau, as they have 2 guys in their OF pipeline that are 24 that will take Fowler's AB's. That's why the Astros and Rockies have been haggling over the PTBNL since Thanksgiving.

As far as the trade goes, immediate upgrade adding a real everyday OF to the Astros lineup. Whatever defensive positioning, I'm sure Fowler's metrics are going to improve leaving Coors field, where a popup becomes a double. As far as home/road splits. Vinny Casilla did well for the Astros, and it hasn't hurt Holliday much at all.

19. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

how do Vinny Castilla and Holliday determine what Fowler will do? I could easily find other random examples that show the opposite. Immediate example--Seth Smith got a whole lot worse when he left.

20. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

No he didn't. his rc+ the last two years in OAK was 102 and 107 after posting rc+ of 110 and 95 his last two years in Colorado. He's also hit better in the road since leaving Colorado as most players do.