1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Draft Pick

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Roc Paint, Dec 1, 2013.

1. thething

thething Contributing Member

Problem is Clowney could be a total bust. Do we go with Barr at the #1 pick?

2. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

and Barr is a sure thing?

3. awc713

awc713 Member

any player could be a total bust...

with that said, clowney has the raw size and speed you cant teach. i would love if we got him.

people are concerned about his motor. I'm not. he doesnt want to ruin his career and paycheck due to an injury in college. this makes sense to me. dont have a problem with it. draft players based on what they CAN do, not on what they have done.

clowney has showed that he can be a force on the defensive side...hes just done risking his body to injury.

4. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I think Clowney is way too talented to ever be a complete bust. He might not reach his full potential, like many fans thought of Mario Williams -- but Mario Williams is still a damn good football player.

I'd rather take the risk with a player whose talent is off the charts like his is.

That said, I also love Barr -- but I don't remember the last LB to go #1 overall. If we could trade back a few spots and pick up more (higher) picks, I'd be all for it.

As a parting thought -- Clowney would be on the same team and DL as JJ Watt, who has one of the best motors in the game. I think that would rub off on him a bit. I would be ecstatic if we came out of the draft with Clowney and Watt on opposite ends.

Hire Cowher or Lovie Smith and let's bring back the defense to Houston.

(I do want to use a 2nd or 3rd on Aaron Murray. I like him a lot and think his injury allows us to get him a round or two later than he normally would have went.)

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think Barr and Clowney would play the exact same position on most NFL teams (most run 34 I think). The idea of Watt/Clowney together in a 43 is exciting.

6. smr6

smr6 Member

I would love if we could get a deal similar to what the Rams got for the 2nd pick two drafts ago. However, I know that is not likely since that was a rare year when there were two unquestioned franchise QB's going 1&2 on everyone's draft board.

Either way, if we get the top pick we could still get somewhere close on value if a team wanting a QB wants to move ahead of the Jags and get who they want.

7. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Agreed. Once someone starts questioning his drive that throws up a major red flag. Trade down and grab multiple picks.

8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

If Clowney runs that 4.4 he talks about. He will be to hard to pass up.

9. Coreyls18

Coreyls18 Member

At this point id like us to take the risk of taking Manziel with our first round pick. The reward could be huge. And easily our #1 hole is QB. Shaub is awful and on his way out. Yates is basically Shaub 2.0. Keenum has the most upside but now with teams having some tape on him, he hasnt done anything. Would be nice to get Mike Evans too from A&M. But unlikley we go for another WR. And no im not an aggie, just think having atleast Manziel is a far better upgrade than what we have now. And the risk imo is worth taking. Like said above though, if we get a top 5 pick(likely to happen) I say trade down a bit. Cause im betting Manziel goes mid 1st round to late 1st round. No need to waste a top 5 pick on him.

10. Coreyls18

Coreyls18 Member

If I was a betting man, i bet Texans draft Derrek Carr in like the 6th round. Only Qb they draft. Fail texans staff...

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

6th round? I'd take that.

12. htown1984

htown1984 Member

The New Coach will draft the QB he thinks is considered the Franchise.
    Especially we a Top 5 Pick... If you have the # 1 pick you go Teddy BridgeWater..
    this guy is considered better than Cam Newton coming out of college from some.
    (Better Prospect i mean) you have to take him...

If the pick is not # 1, than he will be out of the picture and you go with Clowney or
    Barr..

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

It's pretty simple if you get the #1 pick , you take Bridgewater.

14. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was just complaining to a friend that my favorite teams never suck in the correct season! Hell, I am hoping this doesn't end up a bad offseason for cleaning house, either.

15. htown1984

htown1984 Member

why is it a horrible year to have the # 1 pick (in my opinion its never a horrible thing to have the # 1 pick.. there has to be a guy worth of that pick) We just need a good GM that can pick him out... Not Sure Rick Smith can handle the # 1 pick (I got a feeling he would screw it up) Hope not..

16. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know if it is horrible or not. It just seems like it isn't one of those "suck for luck" or Adrian Perterson type years.

But as I read up on the draft and try to get informed, I tend to like the possibility of the team picking up Bridgewater or Clowney.

I actually think the Texans are gonna do fine with the number 1, 2, or 3 overall, whoever they snag.

17. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Coaching is the first thing to look at, O line is second. But I agree with some of comments here. If there's a franchise Quarterback that can lead us to a Superbowl the Texans should get him. But first thing's first is get a new coach.

18. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I think Mariota is better.

19. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I'm not sure if I really like either Mariota or Bridgewater at 1. Obviously neither is regarded as being as good as Luck was coming out. I also haven't heard where people say Bridgewater is a better prospect than Cam.

Personally I'd pray St. Louis falls in love with one of them then trade for their picks, what are they 5 and 12 or something like that. You can pick whoevere is left out of the top 5 of Bridgewater, Mariota, Clowney, Barr or Mathews. If you didn't already take a QB then I would love Manziel at 12.

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Most scouts don't.

Florida safety Matt Elam said that Bridgewater was the best quarterback they played in 2012. That was high praise considering the Gators took on the Heisman Trophy winner.=, Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel. They also played Tyler Bray, Aaron Murray and E.J. Manuel.

Very few draft experts would advise against selecting Bridgewater inside the top five this coming May—if any.

In the first installment of a new BRB miniseries, Brett Kollmann lays out why Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater deserves to be priority number one should the Texans end up with the first overall pick.

1. Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville
    6’3, 205ish
    Teddy Bridgewater is the model of a blue chip quarterbacking prospect. He has punished defenses at every level that he’s played on, and possesses all of the prototypical NFL traits: size, field vision, arm speed, and mobility in the pocket. Despite having the speed to scramble when the pocket collapses, Bridgewater tends to survey the field and make plays with his arm instead of his feet.

#40 Dubious, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013