1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrence Jones has more upside not named Ant Davis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shawndme7, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Play07

Play07 Member

I disagree

Jones playing next to asik "who lacks offense" is totally different playing next to Howard. We had high expectations of jones last year to be a Scorer of not we needed someone else which is understandable.

This year everything changes when you have Howard in the front court who can be the scorer. This year he just needs to rebound, defense, move without the ball and be ready to finish. Him and Howard compliment each other well, Asik & jones was just a bad combination..

so it's not able sample size to me it's about fit, I expected mchale to be smart enough to figure this out a long time ago but then again guess he tried to give TT a try.

2. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Jones is a winner period. He helped win three Oregon State 5A championships in highschool and was one of the main lynchpins on the Kentucky national championship team. He's just an all around good basketball player. I don't see him as an all star type player, but I do see him as part of a potential NBA championship team.

The Rockets need to trade for a PG and leave the 4 postion alone to Jones and D-Mo, unless LMA or Love were available. They won't win a championship with Beverly as their QB and their turnover issues. Would kill to see this team pick up Rondo somehow.

3. Play07

Play07 Member

Man we get Rondo i wouldn't know how to act!

-discipline
    -leadership (playoffs)
    -pass first PG
    -walking triple double
    -perimeter defense questions answered
    -all star

list can keep on going

Howard
    Jones
    parsons
    harden
    Rondo

4. Ultramagnus

Ultramagnus Rookie

Yey! Look everybody! TJones is proving to be the missing piece at PF and fits well within the team.

Shoots 3's = check (matches everybody's overrated desire for stretch fours that do or contribute little of everything else)
    Rebounds = check
    Blocks shots = check
    Runs the break = check
    Size + Length + Mass + HOPS + Quickness = check
    Defense/Potential = check
    Ball handling = check
    Offensive arsenal (range/shooting, in the paint/post moves, penetration, running the break, free throw pts) = check
    No BIG superstar EGO = check
    Does not need plays to be run for him = check (this is important if you already have a Harden and a Dwight on the team)

5. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I don`t really know what you disagree on. Of course he is a great fit next to Howard (especially if he can keep his 3pt% up). And if he keeps playing like that, or at least close to it, we are looking good here.

All I am saying is, he needs to show he can do this over an extended period of time, without doing bone headed mistakes and being completely lost on team defense. Yeah, he is young, he will learn - the question is how much and how fast.

6. Play07

Play07 Member

no biggie it was a good post just a small Disagreement with the sample size and how you compared his play last year statements

It's a fit thing more than SAMPLE SIZE

If asik was our starting center this year, I would be saying jones is not our starting PF for the future, no matter how good he looked these few games, we need someone who can score more in our front court, Like LOVE or LMA.

7. jocar

jocar Member

8. Remii

Remii Member

You know the same can be said about the effect Harden has on Parsons... He started scoring more when Harden showed up and he usually doesn't have good shooting nights when Harden doesn't play. But TJ didn't get a consistent chance last year. But he did look decent for a Rookie when Sampson was playing him last year. And if you've watched the Vegas summer league games and his D-League games _ the kid can score. But of course playing next to Howard helps. Would help anyone wouldn't it...

9. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

TJones has been great. Defensively he's been excellent, he's confident in his shot, he's aggressive on the glass. He's not getting some calls he's deserved but he's putting his head down and works.

If you can come in and put up 14.5/8.5 in your first 5 starts, from the position TJones was, and do the little things we needed; very good D, stretch the floor, etc. I am real happy with him.

I think what's more convincing is we need a good backup C and a great 6th man swingman off the bench. That's where Asik comes in, and Camby hopefully.

10. vator

vator Contributing Member

Looked ok next to Asik to me. Boxscores show that when he gets minutes, he contributes in multiple ways. http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/6597/year/2013/terrence-jones It may not always be scoring, but he brings something to the game. He had consecutive games of 5 and 6 blocked shots and then of course there was this game against Sac. He just needs to play to learn like any other young guy.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/t_o13q2o6WQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Deleted, I thought you said he was better than Davis.

#71 Billionzz, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  12. Yohohoho

Yohohoho Member

TJones will be homegrown. This team is basically set for the next couple of years.

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

So many people on the first page overvaluing Jones.

14. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I just think like Yao made scola look really good early in his career along with Landry, the same thing is happening here with jones playing next to a superstar offensive center like Dwight. No matter how many times Dwight misses the hook shot he still draws double teams from every team. See mavs game when you play single coverage he scores at will. This is allowing tjones to get easy baskets and do the small things. This is the role he exceeds in, once again see Kentucky national title game. He knows how to play off of a superstar C, he did it at UK with Davis.

Tjones is in the best possible situation he could be in playing next to Dwight both offensively and defensively. The things he does well on both sides of the court is the kind of pf that dwight needs next to him. I like jones a lot and feel like he is the pf going forward, by doing this and not going after a superstar pf allows you to focus in other ways to improve the team with smaller moves. 20 more games of this kind of play from him and he's in my players that our in the core and must be kept in harden, Howard and parsons.

With his size length and athleticism, him and Howard have a real chance to avg close to 6 blks a game between them while forming the most athletic and best defensive front court in the league. Offensively as long as they keep doing what they have been doing and giving us a solid 30+ points a game between them then you won't find a more complete front court in the league.

I think what I'm trying to say is the match is perfect and has a real chance to be the baddest biggest nastiest front court in the league able to give all kinds of problems to every team down low. I'm most excited about the defensive potential of this combination and its ability to both switch on guards for short times while playing the pick and roll.

Once harden gets healthy and back to the top 5 player he is.... Watch out, this team will be scary good and with Lin off the bench this team right here could win a championship.

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, things are looking good........

TJ figured to be the most NBA ready player coming in at PF...As someone mentioned, he's won with the best at every level...and there is the overlay as to his upside due to him subjugating his game with Kentucky. At minimum, a solid NBA starter for years. Still, I see D Mo as having even greater upside, but taking longer to develop.

16. Rockets590

Rockets590 Rookie

If jones is really as good as we all hope he is, hopefully mchale and hakeem are teaching him how to post. It would be nice if we had a big man who had the confidence to post and was good at it. Unlike Dwight who desperately wants to post and fumbles the possession away.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Good points, but I'd probably go a bit further and say I won't trade TJones unless it's for Love or KD...or up-and-coming franchise guys like Favors, Drummond and of course Davis (when healthy).

The reason is Fit. For better or worse we're now tied to Dwight Howard and Tjones is pretty much the perfect sidekick for him, he's young, he's healthy and as a really good one-on-one defender he complements DH's paint protection. He's the type of guy who can contribute even if plays aren't called for him, and that's perfect for us since you want mojority of shots going to DH and Harden. There's only a set amount of shots on a team, adding a guy like LMA who needs the balls in his hands to be effective will have a marginal benefit to us because the shots he takes are shots our 2 superstars could take as well, and his salary will cost us a lot of our depth (namely Asik, Lin and likely Parsons).

18. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Why??? Just Curious, he is still playing very well.

19. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

I started a thread when he was first drafted about how good I knew he'd be. I wouldn't even trade him for LMA... Defense wins championships, and he gives you a spark on the offensive end as well. The scary part is that his body & his game isn't through developing. Also, I feel, him being left handed along with his skill set gives him an advantage over the other players mentioned.

20. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Who made such claim ?