1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard: Shots Fired at coaching - minutes management

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Nov 23, 2013.

1. bws

bws Member

Rose injured his knee. Sorry to hear that.
    Kobe always played heavy minutes, just one of those things.
    I think Harden just plays too many minutes, but he has no backup. The Rockets play a 3-guard rotation. Cisco as a swing man isn't doing much.

2. CincyRocket

CincyRocket Member

Shots fired???

Give me a break.

3. dragician

dragician Member

He consistenly gets triple double when he's talking. that's his forte.

4. King1

King1 Contributing Member

That's how i read it as well

5. bws

bws Member

Sorry, Lin always puts the blame on himself and doesn't put it on his team mates. He also credits his team mates when he has monster games. He'll speak of team effort and he has to do better. So I don't know what you are talking about regarding Lin, you are way off. As for Parsons, he isn't trashing anyone, he'll speak his mind a little more than Lin but doesn't pass the buck and is respectful of his team mates.

1 person likes this.
  6. Remii

Remii Member

Speaking of minds or whatever... Just the same doing that in the media does not help team chemistry. Howard can do it because he's big time. Parsons is "just a player". And you're right about Lin. And I doubt he said anything about anyone after his pathetic performance in D-Town...

7. HoopFan

HoopFan Member

I agree McHale is horrible in many aspects, especially in player's time management. This yr, this is no consistent player's rotation. Some of it is due to injuries. Most of it is poor coaching.

Two examples. Demo shows he can play given limited time. So don't tell me you cann't find 10-15 minutes for him each game. It is just so frustrated to see such a younger wasted on the bench. I know his defense is not that good. But how can you improve it on the bench. He played well. What did he get? Sitting on the bench?

The use of Lin. One game you can't live without him (Philly game), playing him almost the entire game. Another you play him only spotted time because he did not shoot well? Good coach always lets players play through it and it builds his confidence. Good coach always play their best players at close game situation. Good coach fouls if the other team needs a three pointer when we have fouls to give. It is basketball 101. He did not do all these. Sometimes, I just have a feeling that he just throwes the kitchen sink on the wall to see whatever sticks. It seems that he himself has no idea which direction the team should go and what role players should have. It is not just this season.

I have said before if our goal is champainship. Two things must happen. JH plays defense and better coaching. We need a coach who can discipline JH to play defense. I just don't see McHale is the one. If coaching change is inevitable, I'd rather do it sooner or later.

8. CertifiedTroll

Thread makes this sound like Dwightmare, but its actually a good point..

1 person likes this.
  9. OCBlast

OCBlast Member

can't agree more ... but he is shooting arrows in more directions than one

10. bws

bws Member

I don't assign such status. Parsons and Lin are not just players, they both are major players on this team and have every right to answer media's questions asked of them and rep the team (where was Harden's interview?). Dwight is new to the team but he's a veteran but Lin and Parsons shouldn't "know their place" as you seem to be implying. I do agree with keeping things out of the media but they didn't say anything as pointed as Dwight said though Dwight didn't name anyone.

11. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

Better time management tonight? We'll see.

12. Raven

Raven Member

I'm with Team Howard on this one. In fact, I think Dwight has been spectacular so far. He's not the problem.

13. vator

vator Contributing Member

Don't see anything wrong with what he said THIS time because it's true. This needs to happen for them to be an elite team so I'm glad somebody stepped up and said it. I hate watching these guys not giving 100% effort all game. If you can't play defense or resort to lazy offense because you're tired then sit your ass down. Plain and simple...

14. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

I agree with the concern over players' minutes. IIRC, this concern was also shared by Morey, in one of his recent radio interviews.

15. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

As the leader of the team, he is doing his job. Unfortunately, in all areas of life, most people pay more attention to the media than the truth. This has been going on long enough. When people are tired, struggling etc. they need to be subbed out. Maybe not for the whole game, but players need to know lazy play wont be tolerated. Pacifying them hurts them more than it helps. And the Rockets record (that could be better) reflects that.

16. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Dwight needs to stop complaining himself. In the post, when he turns it over and **** like that he screams at Jeremy. If Jeremy isn't in the game, he screams at the ref.

His ****ty as FT shooting also gets our team out of rhythm and lets teams come back. How about he addresses this serious flaw in his game?

Secondly, he's right about people's effort here and Coach McHale's stupidity. With that said, he's not perfect either. We need that Mavericks-type game over and over. Opening night & Mavericks game are the only games I've seen him dominate.

All other games, he deflects blame on someone else for the dumbest things and really between his FT shooting, turnovers, etc. He's a significant reason we are 8-5, but not as big as McHale's ****ty coaching. We should really be 11-2.

17. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

This is one of the few reasons I'd like to move Asik, since we have to, for a combo forward like Wilson Chandler, Gallinari if healthy, perhaps even Jeff Green, etc.

Someone as a 6th man that can close games out and let us go Dwight-Parsons-Combo F-Harden-Lin or Bev.

With Jeremy on the bench, and another good bench player it'll really make our rotation strong. If/When Camby is healthy, we can be a hell of a team with Camby, Lin, Combo F, and Garcia or Casspi.

Casspi's a good shooter, at times, but I'm not sold on him as a 20-25mpg player. He thinks he's better than he is and he's disposable if we get a better 6th man via an Asik trade.

18. Remii

Remii Member

Why are you only bringing up Harden's defense after bringing up the Philly game..? Lin, Howard, and Parsons had a chance to show they can win without Harden and blew it. Philly dropped 123 points on them boys. Everybody in Philly's starting lineup scored 15 points or better. Their young point guard MCW didn't even play and the Rockets are lucky he didn't because Philly probably would have made them look even more pathetic. Harden is not holding this team back from winning a championship when his teammates can't beat the 76ers when their best player isn't even playing....

Coaching is not the only issue on this team...

19. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

It's not the ONLY issue, but that's where it starts;

1) Getting the player's respect
    2) ACTUALLY having a defensive gameplan
    3) Capable of in-game offensive adjustments.

Our coach lacks ALL of those. That's where all of our issues begin...

20. Remii

Remii Member

If you say so... All I know is Harden never points fingers. When it's his fault he says "Me" _ and no matter how bad his teammates may play when they don't perform he says "We"... I don't have an issue with players not speaking after games. Serves no purpose to me. My interest is what they do on the court. Lip service doesn't turn a "L" to a "W"...