1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mchales treatment of Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lid1013, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

he was playing like he didn't care, or he was under the weather, or he was having a really bad game, pick one. It wasn't his shooting that got him sat, it was his poor rotations on defense, and that hand off from Asik (which got credited to Asik because dropped passes are charged as turnovers to the passer) where he just left the ball behind as if he didn't care. He also wasn't attacking at all for some reason (for a guy who was leading the league in it, he just didn't do it at all). The minutes he was out there, that wasn't the same Lin that had been playing all season, that was first month last year Lin.

2. DL24

DL24 Member

this is all true....it all points to one thing though, mchale just wants an excuse not to play Lin, ie. starters playing well, bev playing well, lin missed 2 shots in a row etc

3. SugarLandDream8

Anyone without an "agenda" can see McHale has something against Lin as a player and keeps him on a short leash.

For the 1st 8-9 games of the season Parson has shot very badly yet he often played close to 40 minutes in some of his stinkers. Even clutch fans was wondering what's up with Parson's shot this year.

It makes no sense to yank Lin yesterday.

"Lin had scored only one point and missed all five of his field-goal attempts in 17 minutes Wednesday.

Spin: Meanwhile Patrick Beverley played 37 minutes. It's unclear why Lin has hit the pine after a hot streak last week, but it's been two straight games he's failed to crack the 24-minute mark."

Even espn is wondering what's up

4. jason330i

jason330i Member

yeah, yeah. i think mchale was happy things were clicking with the starting five, including bev. bev wasn't doing anything bad and his starting five were up big.

i think that is way more important to him than lin getting it going.

but i think one thing this mavs game shows is that getting that #2 guy going might have helped the team win.

5. SugarLandDream8

Actually he was playing pretty well. He came in very late in the 1st quarter and was yanked very early in the 2nd quarter. In his very limited playing time with he did a decent job on Defense and assist. He only took 2 shots. McHale just has an agenda against Lin.

It seems like he doesn't want Lin to shine to much or for his stats to be too good which will force him to play Lin more so he plays these games to lower Lin's stats so he doesn't have to start him or play him too many minutes.

We saw it last year too when Lin would shine 1 game then after that he will limit Lin for the next few games to 20 minutes or less.

6. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

good grief, if you're not getting preferential treatment then you're being picked on. absolutely absurd.

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

I love Lin, but I would have pulled last night, he was absolutely in a fog, like he was sick. Something definitely wrong. He wasn't doing any of things he normally does. I don't think this was on McHale.

8. jason330i

jason330i Member

well, i know it seems that way for some, but i think its more likely that mchale just does not think that highly of lin's game.

but it was just one game, with the primary goal to get the starters playing well and get asik going. the starters did play well at first. asik, not so much.

9. formido

formido Member

Yep, just like Harden at OKC. Oh, wait. That's just what some detractors said. It wasn't actually true that Harden thrived because he was coming off the bench.

Lin is better this year because he got better, which should have been 100% expected, not because he's coming off the bench.

10. DL24

DL24 Member

if lin gets his minutes slashed again on saturday, CF server will crash

11. JAD2456

JAD2456 Member

Well said, indeed!

12. SugarLandDream8

I'm not going to start a new thread but this is the true story.

McHale is NOT RACIST against Lin because he is Asian American. McHale just doesn't like Lin as a basketball player. He never has and McHale was a strong proponent in cutting Lin 2 seasons ago before the start of the NBA season. He had egg on his face once Linsanity happened and the whole NBA saw how foolish it was to cut a min contract guy who had Lin's talents. Once you take a stand it takes a strong person to change your mind which Mchale is not. He just wants his original assessment to be correct. That is why Lin gets so few chances and also Mchale actively tries to sabotage Lin by not playing him after he has some hot streaks.

Now people who he believes in like Parsons can play poorly for the 1st 8-9 games with his shot being off but he'll still play close to 40 minutes because Chandler is his guy.

Mchale wants Lin to be traded. He is simply not his guy.

Beverly by any objective assessment is mediocre to bad this year same as he was the whole regular season last year.

13. SugarLandDream8

Morey, fans, experts, everyone might think Lin is the #2 offensive option or #3rd after Howard but McHale doesn't think this way.

Every stats can show Lin is a top offensive NBA player but Mchale will always but him on a short leash as long as Harden is playing.

Now if Harden is not in the game, Mchale has no choice but to play Lin close to 40 mpg because he values his job and doesn't want to get fired because without Harden and Lin this team will have a hard time scoring which again proves Lin is the #2 scoring option but too bad Mchale treats Lin like he is the worst player in the league sometimes

14. Apache

Apache Member

great coaching, lin is the worst defensive player on the team lol

15. formido

formido Member

That's cool, but that's not really what the debate is about. Do you think Parsons or other players on the team are pulled as quickly for sub par play?

Peoples' eye tests are wrong a lot. We know this. When a player misses a few shots, some (most) people will fit a story to that, "he looked lethargic, he wasn't doing the things he normally does, etc." What we see in actual fact though is that player performance will tend to revert toward the mean the more minutes they get, EVEN IN THE VERY SAME GAME. That is, the idea that we know how Lin would have played if he'd gotten more minutes based on the absurdly tiny sample of his earlier minutes is preposterous. If you go back through play-by-play data, you'll find this constantly among all players including Lin. I think someone mentioned Lin's performance in a game against Philly when he was with the Knicks. While mentioning the Knicks seems to offend some people, that's not really relevant to the fact that it's a perfect example of small sample bias within a game. Box scores can't be used to show the effect and play-by-play data is too tedious: I'll leave it to the easily offended to suss out proof from those records. It's there.

16. JAD2456

JAD2456 Member

You're absolutely right! Same things happened to Lin last year when he had a hot streak in March, then his minutes got reduced.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Parsons doesn't have a high equality counterpart on the team to replace him.

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Normally I'm not one to defend Lin, or any other player at that in front of McHale. This is not an exception to that. McHale did make some coaching mistakes last night, namely waiting to put the starters back out there sooner. When Howard is 11/11 it is also conceivable that when the offense is stagnant he should be there to close. Lin was garbage last night, he just didn't have it... more possessions wouldn't have fixed that. Lin missed open looks. It happens. Lin missed shots he should be making, they weren't forced and they weren't contested. When that's the case more shots won't fix it... but thank god we have yet another Lin thread going. We got that going for us.

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Also! Chandler was on fire too! We did a really bad job of riding that streak and using him to steady the ship.

20. JAD2456

JAD2456 Member

I meant last season.