1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CSN Updates Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The purpose of today’s hearing is for Jim Crane to update the court on plans to reorganize CSNH. He has until Dec. 12 to explore options,</p>&mdash; David Barron (@dfbarron) <a href="https://twitter.com/dfbarron/statuses/403564921616490496">November 21, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Hearing just ended. Judge Isgur said he just wanted to make sure process was moving along,</p>&mdash; David Barron (@dfbarron) <a href="https://twitter.com/dfbarron/statuses/403565028713848832">November 21, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rockets owner Leslie Alexander says he is interesting in buying the portion of <a href="https://twitter.com/CSNHouston">@CSNHouston</a> he does not own.</p>&mdash; David Barron (@dfbarron) <a href="https://twitter.com/dfbarron/statuses/403575637459234816">November 21, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Astros owner Jim Crane says he would like to hear a bid and that &quot;the ball's in his (Alexander's) court.&quot;</p>&mdash; David Barron (@dfbarron) <a href="https://twitter.com/dfbarron/statuses/403575856091508736">November 21, 2013</a></blockquote>

#1 J.R., Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Like I assumed, the Rockets want to keep CSN and probably would feel ok with it just being them and the Dynamo.

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder what their information says that Comcast and the Astros didn't? Because all those that testified for both those entities seemed to indicate a network of just the Rockets and Dynamo would never be economically viable.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I think any good business man can see value in buying low.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

They both testified to that, you're right.

And I can't tell from the tweets if Les means literally ALL of the equity of the station? Like the Astros and Comcast's share...or just buying out the Astros share?

Here's my wild out of left field guess.....Les may very well mean the whole enchilada, and is considering buying an NHL team to supplement the programming. Just a guess. I don't have any real information to suggest that.

7. MadMax

Unless the price is low because it accurately reflects real value and the value of the opportunity going forward. Just because something is priced low doesn't mean it's a good deal.

8. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

That would be awesome.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

DON'T TEASE ME, BRO!!

10. MadMax

:)

Yeah, I don't know. I just think it's interesting that this is on the heels of Comcast filing this bankruptcy. The entire point of the bankruptcy was to stop the Astros from leaving because everyone said the station wouldn't be viable without their programming.

Even the Rockets said in their pleading that if the Astros left, they'd be forced to leave too...that's why they said they supported the bankruptcy. I forgot about that until just now.

That's just weird.

We'll see if Les makes a real offer.

11. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

So if the Rox buy a portion to stay with CSN, what are the chances that they are able to negotiate to get on my TV, and how quickly could this be done!? So mad. Nights like last night are like Super Bowls to me since I never get to see them unless I'm at the game.

12. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Because CSN would likely still try to get the rights to air the Astros games, the Astros just wouldn't be a partner. I'm willing to bet they would outbid Fox for the Astros.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The Rockets are not talking about a deal that would let the Astros go somewhere else to for broadcast. They are talking about buying out the Astros ownership stake only. CSN would still hold the Astros carriage agreement.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocke...uying-all-of-houston-regional-sports-network/

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think Les wants whole enchilada and thinks he may be able to pay the Astros what they are owed and make money long term. Just a question of whether he is willing to risk it if this is what he is thinking.

Edit...wow I am way late.

16. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

From what I hear, he spent last 10 years looking at nhl's finances and never felt comfortable. Also, part of the locker room renovations included tearing down the Aeros old lockerroom and turning it into another lounge area for premium fans.

So, there is no room at TC now for a hockey team and the finances weren't encouraging.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

You can't take it with you, Les! BUY BUY BUY!

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Do they still have the Aeros banners up then? Can Les please pay for the Rockets to actually have individual conference championship banners (like most teams do), instead of banners that lump them all together?

As far as this whole thing goes, I could see Crane feeling "slighted" in that he has the more "valuable" franchise... yet doesn't have the net worth... thus is susceptible to the buyout.

Just like when Moe Greene got mad at Michael in the Godfather... "You don't buy me out... I buy you out!"

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Crane would love a buy out.

Crane is after money up front while Les sees long term dollar profits.

This would be ideal. That does not mean CSN has no Astros, it just means Crane gets his money up front and sees no profits over the years.

Les is not buying a Hockey team.

20. MadMax

They'd have to work something out with the Astros to make that happen, obviously. Because as of right now...but for the bankruptcy stay...the Astros have the right to walk from their broadcast agreement.

But your point is well made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.