1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

Please fire McFail, worst Rockets coach ever..................

2. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

I'm not saying I'm satisfied with a .615 win record, but I'm not that upset either given it's so early, the nature of our losses, plus our experimenting with the twin tower line up to appease Asik the majority of the season.

I don't really remember all the games off the top of my head to be honest, so I don't remember our wins that well. All I know is that Steve Blake doesn't make that shot a majority of the time whether we messed up our rotations or not, Rudy Gay isn't making that shot in Chandler's face a majority of the time, Anderson isn't making that catch and shoot three buzzer beater a majority of the time. Not trying to excuse it all to luck, but luck played a factor.

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

McFail - Most incompetent Rockets coach ever and one of the worst coaches in the league

One of the things eh was brought in was for Defense. Adelman had a better defense with Luis Scola and Chuck Hayes up front and KMart and Bud on the wings LOL

4. FTW Rockets FTW

We might have had a busier schedule but we've also had a soft schedule. We're yet to play the likes of SAS, OKC, GSW, Indiana, Miami, Chicago etc. The real heavyweights

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Steve Blake makes wide open threes all the time. If we bothered to contest it, then yes I would tip my hat to the guy. That was a blown game though in large part due to McHale. He started the Twin Towers which led to the Lakers dominating early. He allowed an exhausted Harden to continue to force bad shots over multiple defenders. He never countered D'Antoni's Hack-a-Dwight strategy in the 4th. And he left Dwight in the game in the final minute on that inbounds play which led to Parsons throwing him the ball and two missed free throws(which wound up being the difference in the game).

The Rudy Gay and James Andersen shots never should've happened in the first place. If McHale had instructed his players to foul intentionally, the Rockets never see double OT against the Raptors or OT against the Sixers. They barely won the former and blew a surefire win against the latter. Luckily McHale wised up enough to not make the same mistake in the next game against the Knicks.

Was there some luck involved? Yes. But the point is that luck should've been a non-factor. You're gonna lose the occasional game to a last second shot that goes in only 10% of the time. Game 3 last year against the Thunder comes to mind(and that was a shot that goes in maybe 1% of the time). But we're losing games because we have a coach that doesn't seem capable or interested in making in-game decisions that should prevent the opposing team from even having the opportunity to attempt those last second shots.

6. DL24

DL24 Member

too bad there's no option where Les steps in midgame and benches Mchale

7. FTW Rockets FTW

I am all for Morey and he has done a great job except hiring this incompetent, clueless guy to be headcoach. Probably has something to do with his Boston connections.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

damn the truth hurts. reading this made me cringe :(

9. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

All you need to know is that every time McHale goes up against a team with a good to great head coach, the Rockets get outcoached...bad, even if Houston manages to squeak by with a win.

Could you imagine what a Doc Rivers or a Rick Carlisle would do with the talent on this team? The longer Kevin McHale remains as the coach for the Houston Rockets, the longer this team is shoot more mere mediocrity.

10. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

The "McHale" experiment is destroying this team! McHale is not a bad coach... he is not a coach!!! What a waste of time and talent!!!!!!

11. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

That Blake shot was a rushed shot off the move, but even if he hits it at his career percentage, he's missing it a majority of the time.

With the other two shots, it's not like it's the accepted strategy to foul when you're up 3. It's much more common to let the other team shoot. Just off the top of my head:

1. Popovich didn't instruct the Spurs to foul LeBron in game 6. Yeah probably not the best example given what happened, but the point stands as far as a coaching decision.
    2. When we were down 3 at the end of the season last year and Parsons made that line drive three pointer, D'Antoni didn't tell them to foul.

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Blake didn't rush that shot very much. He had all the time in the world to get it off thanks to the Rockets' defensive breakdown. He only had to hurry up more than normal so the Lakers could have a chance at an offensive board and second shot in case he missed.

As for Game 6, Pop didn't foul LeBron because the Spurs were up 5 at that point and he chucked up that 3 off of an offensive rebound before anyone could get to him. Same with Ray Allen's 3 a few seconds later. If you want to fault Pop for any F up in that game, it was having Duncan on the bench and watching the Spurs fail to get a defensive board on two straight possessions.

Regarding the Parsons line drive, that was a desperation prayer that was answered. The Lakers never had a chance to foul him. Now you could argue that they should've fouled Lin when he got the ball, but considering he damn near turned it over before it luckily wound up in Parsons' hands, I can't blame the Lakers for playing straight up D.

13. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

6 of the 13 games have been against teams .500 or above.

Compare that to a team like Pacers who've only played 11 games and only 3 of those games were against teams above .500. THAT is a soft schedule.

We've played against the Clippers twice, Portland, etc.

14. chenglug

chenglug Contributing Member

too much macfail and we want a real coach! he is probably the worst coach for rockets in last 20+ years.

15. FTW Rockets FTW

We may have played 6 teams above .500 but we are yet to play an elite team - a potential championship contender.

16. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

No, look. This is the play I'm talking about. Breen even mentioned whether they should go for the foul or not. Popovich opted not to.

[youtube]paJWuS0VykY[/youtube]

Here's the Parson's play. They had plenty of chances to foul.

[youtube]4L37je8JKLo[/youtube]

17. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Given that McHale is only the Rockets 4th different coach in the last 20 years, that's not saying much.

Rudy T
    JVG
    Adelman
    McHale

18. conquistador#11

does murray have any coaching experience? media pick up games? kids basketball team? it doesn't matter anything will do.

19. atwood

atwood Member

I would take D'Antoni any day over McFail.

20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Oh hell nah. Mr. Pringles can EAD.

Mchale is weak with the rotation and he sucks at when to call a timeout and stop the bleeding. He's ALWAYS one or two possessions too late.