1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

IF Melo goes on the trade block, should the Rockets get him?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by torocan, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

30 points 18 rebounds tonight

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Once we landed Howard the entire board started crying/begging for a stretch 4. I've even seen guys pimp Milsap. Yet no one would want Melo?

I'm sure Morey would happily take him since he did try to land him years ago.

3. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

Time has passed. When Melo was in Denver, Rockets didn't have a superstar. Now we have two...

4. Nanisteru

Nanisteru Rookie

Two ballhogs is not a good idea. Harden won't be a good match with Melo.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Um hell no, even if you could get him for spare parts like Asik etc.

There are a lot of problems with Melo, you know how Shane Battier helps his team win but barely records any stats? Well Melo's the opposite, all he does is put up stats so on the surface you'd think he's a superstar but his weaknesses just make your team lose.

The first and biggest problem with him is the money, at 21M his salary will cut a gaping hole on our cap and will mean the team becoming Miami 2.0 with Dwight, Harden, Melo and a bunch of scrubs/vet ring chasers/rooks. I don't know about you, but I'm not confident Melo, Harden and Dwight is enough to beat LBJ and the Heat if we make it a star battle, esp with Harden having bruised feet, Dwight having a bad back and Melo being a horrible fit for the team.

The 2nd problem with him is his skillset, Melo can score anywhere on the court but his efficiency si horrible, it's a big reason why people call him selfish and ball hog. MJ got more shots, but because he makes it at a high clip nobody says anything because he converts it. Melo OTH gets his points by chucking, and his ISO play combined with chucking lowers the playing ability of whoever his team happens to be.

Melo would probably be the WORST player you can add to the squad as a stretch 4 or a 3. The guy can hit 3's but he's not accurate, he's best when playing in the post but his ISO play requires a lot of play, which will interfere with Dwight and Harden even more. And his huge salary means we lose our team and have to win or die by Melo. Melo giveth, and Melo taketh away. Just ask the Nuggs and Knicks.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Milsap costs like 1/3 of Melo, defends, rebs and is deadly from 3.

Chasing Melo was a desperation move by Morey, we had no assets and a lot of capspace, signing a star player who could be flipped for actual winning players later on is a good move.

7. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

If he takes a paycut, sure. At the Kobe-max? NO THANKS

8. Yellow

Yellow Member

Haha trade a loser in Harden for another loser in Melo?

9. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Do you trade Asik, fillers & picks for the NBA's leading scorer?

Is this even debatable?

A three way deal that sends Melo to OKC & brings KD to H-Town will for a win win situation…and we'll be the big winners.

10. DDuana

DDuana Member

By all means, yes!!! And trade that whiny Asik and bench player Lin to the Knicks.

More salary for everybody!!!

11. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Millsap is shooting 35.7% from the three (14 attempts), TJones is at 57% (7 attempts).

In fact, the most threes Millsap attempted in a season was 39 (last yr) and made 33% of them.

Doesn't sound deadly to me

13. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

Melo has stated multiple times that he will retire a knick.

give it up

14. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Hardens a true franchise player and is the reason we landed Dwight and our in title contention. He's 24 and only going to get better. I swear he gets ragged on a lot lately and it's stupid. He's not a loser, sure he has some areas he needs to work on but when he rips off 30 a game for a 10 game win streak at some point this year everyone will claim he's the savior. Ride with your team and the best player in the team because we're only going as far as harden and Howard take us.

And I would trade everyone not named harden and Howard for mello. Melo is a very good off ball player as evident in the Olympics. I think all parties after witnessing what the heat have accomplished would all buy in. Harden and melo could become deadly, harden would have more room to operate because of the attention melo gets and because he's such a good passer could get melo easy shots and even Dwight would be more open then ever before.

We should all keep an eye on melo in NYC. They choked a game away tonight and after it melo said he was in panic mode already. If they continue to torpedo down hill I could easily see the Knicks making a deal to bring Lin back to the big apple. The Knicks are about making money and Lin would make them a lot of it. I think this is a trade that could benefit both parties.

Regardless of what ppl may think the rockets are in win now made even though we have the ability to develop because of th youth on the team, but if you have the chance to team up 3 top 10 players you have to do it.

I would do a deal centered around asik/Lin/parsons and picks. I'm no salary expert but I'm sure we might have to throw in dmo to make it work. Now the rockets would need to keep Beverley jones and smith at all cost.

Bev-3 point shooter/defender
    Harden- facilitator/scorer(Lebron roll)
    Melo- scorer
    Jones-utility hustle guy
    Howard- defensive anchor/low post option

Brooks
    Garcia
    Caspi
    Smith

The bench takes a step back losing Lin but still has nice shooters and should form a solid rotation to go along with IMO the best starting 5 on paper in the league. That team would have a serious chance at winning it all the next 3 years and I'm sure if the opportunity arose Morey would jump all over it without hesitation.

15. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

What did he say?

16. torocan

torocan Member

He mentioned it originally in a segment prior to this (wasn't on podcast), but he did mention it again on this link.

Starts at around 11:05 or so.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/newyork/play?id=10006766&s=nyc

What SAS said is that people close to Melo think that he may walk on the Knicks if they don't get their season together. And that his understanding is that Melo himself doesn't know, but SAS believes that Melo will walk if things get bad.

He also mentions that other Superstars are scratching the Knicks off their Free Agency list due to how chaotic the Knicks management has operated.

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Oh I think he can if it's Kobe, CP3, or Rondo. Basically a super ego strong personality or a great defender/ball distributor.

18. hugo2000

hugo2000 Member

The Devine script is written along ths line:
    Melo comes to Houston, doesn't get along well with other superstars, Rockets not taking off as promised. Epic failure.

Lin gets a new lease and spot light in MSG, Linsanity 2.0 reborn. Cover stories all over the planet. :grin:

19. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

Hopefully it is sooner than later. Right now, it looks pretty chaotic for the Rockets and Lin. I mean, the Rockets are in 7th place and they don't look like they're moving up past those upper teams any time soon. I mean Clippers? OKC? SAS? Forget it.

Trade Lin back to NY, let the Rockets get Melo. Problem solved. Rockets, you got your championship. ;)

20. roxfan4life00

roxfan4life00 Member

Melo is a selfish chucker. New York can keep him.