1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

IF Melo goes on the trade block, should the Rockets get him?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by torocan, Nov 20, 2013.

1. yunac010

yunac010 Member

The irony if Melo comes to Houston with Lin here.

But really though, no thanks.

2. pnr

pnr Member

Melo and Iverson went to the WCF a few years ago. It's intriguing but we would have to give up A LOT.

3. tarzanman

tarzanman Member

Totally agree with this. With the right coach getting everyone to buy into a system, fit shouldn't be a problem. Melo will take pressure off of Harden during crunch time and vise versa. And Harden has already proven he can be first or second option (OKC) so I think it will be easier for him to adjust to Melo rather than the other way around. Definitely need the right defensive role players - Beverley, etc.

4. donatas

donatas Member

I think it could work if Melo accepts to be our sharpshooter. Him and Harden can take turns throughout the season as closers.

5. Raw Texas

Raw Texas Member

No I'd rather use that money to resign parsons and solidify the bench with good role player and a great sixth man

6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

7. bmd

bmd Member

Carmelo's TS% is 51%. That's not good.

Durant's is 62%.

Even the chucker Westbrook was 53% last year.

How about we just look at last year's playoffs? Since Durant didn't have Westbrook.

Durant: 57%
    Carmelo: 49%

Durant is a much better player than Carmelo.

8. torocan

torocan Member

The *real* irony would be Dolan taking back Lin in exchange for Melo... he might just throw up every morning looking at the roster.

That said, objectively speaking role players + picks for Melo is hard NOT to do as any GM in the NBA. There's just not that many upper echelon players to go around.

9. tarzanman

tarzanman Member

Houston has a history of collecting players with a chip on their shoulder or something to prove. Melo (I am assuming) should be looking to end his career with a legit contender and be willing to sacrifice his game for a ring.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

One team you left out is the Warriors.

Lee, Barnes, and Thompson for Melo works.

Curry, Iggy, Melo, & Bogut

If GS wants it they have the option, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Melo's people would encourage this trade as well.

11. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

I hope Melo never becomes a Houston Rocket... we already have Harden and Lin. Harden and Melo can not be together. This isn't a video game... We need more defensive stoppers than offensive cockblockers...

12. torocan

torocan Member

Good point, always forget about GS.

My main concern with that trade happening would be their lack of draft picks to sweeten the deal.

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/DraftTrades/Future/Warriors.htm

However, I wouldn't be surprised if GSW made a play for Melo... on the other hand they're doing really well this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they stood pat either.

13. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

Exactly, this isn't video game or anything. No 8 team Fantasy basketball or things like that.

How can Harden and Melo mesh together while having Dwight is the real question.

14. Midixinormous

Midixinormous Member

Why do you think the Knicks haven't attracted any key free agents since they got Melo?

15. awc713

awc713 Member

does melo even like to run?

16. Marteen

Marteen Member

In a perfect world, yes. Adding him would handcuff the Rockets as far as the cap space is concerned. I don't scoring is what the Rockets need at this point, they're already #2 in the league at the moment I believe.

At this stage, the Rockets just need a few more pieces and they can go all the way.

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if you have a chance to add a player of that talent level without giving up harden or howard you have to do it.

so here's what i think the chances are for each team on your list:

Lakers - they have nothing to offer the knicks, but they are players in the FA market in 2015 IF melo doesn't opt out.
    Clippers - can't get it done unless they add jordan and that would mean they aren't a championship team. melo would pass.
    Chicago - deng, gibson, picks, maybe.
    Dallas - melo doesn't want to be on an old dallas team by himself. might as well stay in ny.
    GSW - lee + thompson or barnes is more than we can offer. plus both teams would look pretty good (knicks: chandler, lee, thompson/barnes, shumpert, felton), (warriors: bogut, speights, melo, iggy, curry).

i think IF he says he's definitely opting out, and the knicks fear that he's leaving and must trade him, it will be the GSW that make the best offer. the rockets can offer asik, lin, and either parsons or picks but not both would be the second best offer, and the bulls would be the 3rd. at that point it would come down to whoever melo would rather sign a long term deal with. if that's the case it would be the rockets as his first choice because we have 2 superstars, those other teams have 1.

18. jk103

jk103 Member

I don't think Dolan's ego would let him make that move. Letting Lin go for nothing, only to take him back in a trade involving his best player? Dolan would veto that in a heartbeat just to save face.

I think Melo's critics tend to overreact to his flaws, but I think we just might have the worst D in the league with Melo and Harden on the floor. In terms of gross market value pretty much any deal we can offer NY for Melo would be a huge win for the Rockets, but I think other teams can offer better picks and a bigger role for him. If NY is trading Melo they're starting over from scratch, and they're going to want picks, not players.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Because they're capped out? ;)

20. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

That's exactly my point. Melo has to take a ton of shots because the Knicks have nobody else that can put it in the basket. His efficiency would go through the roof if he had Harden to take the pressure off him offensively, a la Westbrook taking pressure off Durant.

And people posting that picture of Melo taking a wide open three and trying to say he doesn't pass are absolutely hilarious. He'd get an earful from his coach if he passed up that open of a three, because he's the best bet to make it from there on the Knicks.