1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With Jones/DMo playing well, do you still want a stretch 4 for Asik?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Nov 19, 2013.

Tags:
  1. joelcwu

joelcwu Member

Only if McHale took the ball from Harden's hand and give it to a pass first PG.
    After all we still have J Lin used in out of position fashion.

2. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

What about Arron Afflalo? Good perimeter defender, can hit the 3, and has shown he can carry an offense for small stretches. He'd be an upgrade to our bench and would allow McHale to rest Harden for larger stretches at a time.

The Rockets would still be in a need of a backup 5, but I/m sure Morey can work his magic elsewhere.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Definitely.

I think if we got Millsap to start alongside Dwight, a big man bench rotation of TJones, DMo, and Smith could be good enough.

I especially like pairing DMo and TJones. I think Jones compensates for DMo's shortcomings, specifically rim protection. And Smith was apparently playing well in practice so he could step in if either of those guys are having a subpar game.

4. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

I would prefer Avery Bradley to Rondo. He is just as good of a defender, he would take a lot less to get, and he wouldn't take the ball out of Harden's hands.

1 person likes this.
  5. New

honestly, I do not want Asik go. Think about how we could defend heat when Howard gets into foul trouble. With smith down, we do not have depth at C at all.

6. New

Agree.

7. torocan

torocan Member

Yes. All star > 4 games from Tjones.

8. Terry Teagle

Terry Teagle Member

I agree with the OP that we need a perimeter lock down 3 like an Horry or Ariza.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nope, I have been saying all along get an expiring contract and a 1st round pick.

DD

10. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

Do you honestly think we'd be able to get Andre iguodala? Please...

11. Play07

Play07 Member

anybody know Covington's history of defense ? he looked good summer league very athletic on D getting blocks and rebounds, he's long and can shoot the 3

12. Orosi Riley

Orosi Riley Member

Asik for 5 - 12 lotto pick and expiring contract

2 first round picks in 2014 would provide at least one potential starter + good rotation player.

13. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

If I recall correctly, he looked a bit lost during preseason games...

14. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

I completely agree with AirBud and the previous posters talking about Millsap. We should look into Asik for Millsap + future first (Asik is more valuable than Millsap as a true defensive 5).

We could then turn around and flip our first round pick + filler for Avery Bradley. While Boston might value Bradley more, the loaded 2014 draft may entice them to consider a late 1st-rounder to be good ammunition for trading up (plus it would help them tank).

This would change in the roster by:
    1) Moving Millsap into the starting lineup. He will make us a formidable rebounding team on the defensive and offensive ends much like the Lakers won thanks to the rebounding dominance of Bynum/Gasol/Odom. He can shoot the mid-range jumper and become an interesting 2nd P&R option instead of Dwight.

2) Making Avery Bradley our primary wing off the bench. He has greatly improved his perimeter shooting, but of course, he is here because he's probably the best perimeter defender in the league. We can put him our their best offensive player for extended periods of time while keeping Jeremy and/or Harden out there with Parsons at the 4 for offense. A backcourt of Bradley and Bev would be a suffocating option.

3) Turn TJones into our primary big man off the bench. He's perfect for this role as he brings shot-blocking, energy, rebounding, and ball-handling abilities that would shine more on the second team. He continues to develop as a player and eventually replaces Millsap when he gets traded or is not resigned.

15. James88

James88 Member

Yeah, if Jones continues to play this well, then there's no point to trading Asik immediately. We'd be losing the best backup center in the league to shore up a position that's no longer a weakness.

16. Man

Man Contributing Member

Agree, but it's conditional on him being okay with it, and then even still, the value might be better served moving/upgrading for where we really need help.
    Any chance Camby can come back? Can we play Dwight 32 mins. a game and have Asik around 16 mins. a game, at least against the scrubbier teams and only for the regular season?

I would push for a better 2/3 backup ahead of Garcia/Casspi/etc. or a solid 2/3 or 3/4 starter to replace Parsons, unless we intend to keep Parsons. I'm not sure that there are many guys who would be available to acquire and could fit that replacement role and do better than Parsons.

I would also push for a backup 4/5 behind TJones and Howard if Asik is moved, and keep DMo as a 3rd stringer; I'm not sold on DMo being the direct backup option until I see consistent effectiveness on D and continued scoring. Or ideally we get a solid starting 4 who is basically at star level and who would need to be better than TJones.

17. tadahito

tadahito Member

Robert Covington = poor man's Shawn Marion. Height w/o shoes of 6' 6.25" compared to Marion's 6' 6.5".
    Last year in NCAA: 1.6 3Pt made, 2.1 Stls, 1.8 Blks. These are elite 3 & D numbers. I don't know anybody other than Shawn Marion in the last 20 years who could put up these type of numbers in the NBA.
    Covington had a down senior year after knee surgery, so he went undrafted.

Stats geeks love them steals and blocks. Kenneth Faried(1.9 Stls, 2.3 Blks senior year), Jeremy Lin(2.4 Stls, 1.1 Blks senior year) were steals.

18. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

Afflalo plz.

or get a firstround pick.

19. Remii

Remii Member

I agree... And it looks like TJ has a higher ceiling than those guys and he has a higher skill set with the fact he can play 3 different positions.

I like Deng or Jimmy from Chicago... I think Terrence Ross would be a good add. I also like Glen Rice Jr as well. And of course I like The Alphabet out of Milwaukee.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I actually would love to somehow find a way to get Batum from Portland. His perimeter defense and 3 point shooting would be amazing on this team. Think of Dwight, Jones, Batum, Bev on the floor together.... and the offense isn't that bad either.

I personally think Batum upgrades this team in more ways that just a stretch 4. I think they gain offensively with the small ball lineup and defensively they are immediately top notch.