1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

29 Rebounds!!!!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BobFinn*, Jan 31, 2001.

1. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Mutumbo grabbed 29 boards to go along with his 21 points tonight.

Thats more rebounds than Mo gets in a month [​IMG]

------------------
    When we tire of well-worn ways, we seek for new. This restless craving in the souls of men spurs them to climb, and to seek the mountain view.
    -- Ella Wheeler Wilcox

2. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Yes sir!

How do the 6 blocks compare against Cato's blocks for the past month?

Mango

------------------
    Spring cleaning

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I knew Mo hadn't been as strong on the boards in the past week so the bashers would be out. [​IMG] Only thing though-- many times it seems to take Deke a month to score as many points as Mo does in a game. Also, I think being 7'2 with that frame might give you an advantage over someone 6'9. [​IMG]

------------------
    "We're not settling for just getting in the playoffs." "We want a higher seed. There's no doubt. We expect to get in."-- Steve Francis

President of the Mo Taylor and Jason Collier fan club!
    Teams win and lose games, not individuals.

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited January 31, 2001).]

4. BobFinn*

Looking at his average of 5.6 boards a game, I would say (I'm going out on a limb here) he hasn't been strong all season. Oh, he had a couple of games with 10,8,7, but has mostly been in the 2,3,4 range.

I can't help but wonder what his numbers would be like if he could stay on the court for over 30 minutes a game.

------------------
    When we tire of well-worn ways, we seek for new. This restless craving in the souls of men spurs them to climb, and to seek the mountain view.
    -- Ella Wheeler Wilcox

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

And I might go out on a limb here and say that that average is due in large part to Rudy refusing to give him 30 plus minutes per game in the first 5-6 weeks of the season. That can really bring your average down. Through the first 25 games approx., Mo averaged 4 reb per game due to how little PT he was getting. Now, 45 games through, he is averaging 5.6. That means since he has gotten fairly consistent minutes, he's gotten close to 8 rebounds per game by average. Considering his offensive skill, I'm very happy with him getting 7-8 rebounds per game.

------------------
    "We're not settling for just getting in the playoffs." "We want a higher seed. There's no doubt. We expect to get in."-- Steve Francis

President of the Mo Taylor and Jason Collier fan club!
    Teams win and lose games, not individuals.

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

6. BobFinn*

Was if Rudy not giving him the minutes? or was it a result of him constantly getting into foul trouble early in games?

He has done a much better job of staying out of foul trouble.

------------------
    -- Ella Wheeler Wilcox

7. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Yeah, height has everything to do w/ rebounding. [​IMG]

------------------
    I keep plugging away, but I just can't get a 3 way to work on realwife.com

8. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

If you get 12 offensive rebounds, how do you only score 8 fgs?

------------------
    The Rockets will be the NBA champions. Believe.

9. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Mo biggest problem in getting rebounds can be summarized with one word - EFFORT.

Size is not the most important aspect of rebounding. Barkley wasn't big & Rodman wasn't big compared to other NBA post players but they both wanted the rebound more than anyone else on the court.

Rebounding is part skill (knowing where to be), part effort and part luck.

10. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

The Cat,

I did a little number crunching in hopes of helping your argument, but it didn't help. I looked at the total rebounds of each player verses total minutes played to come up with rebounds per minute & minutes per rebound for each. MO averages .197 RPM or 1 rebound every 5.075 minutes. Mutumbo averages .409 RPM or 1 rebound every 2.446 minutes.

Mutumbo's average is probably topped out, at this point in his career.

Mo can & in fact has improved his rebounding average this year. But, for now, he still has a ways to go. I think Mo was brought in for his scoring abilities anyway & any improvement on his rebounding is just an added bonus.

------------------

11. verse

verse Contributing Member

when was the last time dikembe had more points than rebounds [​IMG]