1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA.com] Sam Smith suggests an Asik-for-Rondo trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Contingent, Nov 14, 2013.

1. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Rondo has yet to prove he can come back 100%. That said, I'd still give Asik + Beverly + DMo + a 2nd for the gamble of Rondo.

2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

There is 0 chance we wouldn't flip Asik for rondo if rondo is healthy. Even if you don't like rondo, moving Asik for rondo is called trading up.

3. James88

James88 Member

Is Rondo really top 5?

CP3
    Parker
    Westbrook
    Curry
    Rose
    Conley
    Lawson
    Beldsoe
    Irving

That's 9 guys I'm pretty sure I'd take over Rondo. I think Rondo is pretty average now. Maybe in the 10 to 15 range, or if he doesn't heal well, he could be 16-20. Guys like Rubio, Lillard, Wall, Thomas, Teague, and Lin are all battling for the 10-15 spot right now.

PG is the most competitive backcourt position. I think way too many people are overrating Rondo. On top of that, he's extremely ball dominant. How much offensive value does a complete non-shooting PG have when Harden has the ball. Harden is far superior to Rondo with the ball.

I can't imagine how Morey would be willing to trade both Asik and Lin for Rondo. I'm not sure Rondo is even worth just one of those players.

4. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I'm guessing you haven't watched more than 5 Rajon Rondo games in your life...

5. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

I think hes only watched the nba this year..

6. Ultramagnus

Ultramagnus Rookie

How about a young PG in the mold of Rajon Rondo?

from Atlanta:

Paul Millsap + Dennis Schroeder (the young, Rondo-esque PG with scoring and shooting skills) + backup center replacement (either Gustavo Ayon or Pero Antic) + filler/s

for

Omer Asik + Isaiah Canaan + filler/s

Dennis Schroeder is a nice young PG to groom for the next few years. (Look at his potential and actual accomplishments before judging)

Paul Millsap is the efficient complementary player that you can play with either Parsons or TJones at the forward spots.

I'd prefer Gustavo Ayon, but Pero Antic could work since he has shooting range, could provide that stretch effect.

7. James88

James88 Member

Rather than resort to ad hominems, why not just list your top 5?

In no order, please fill out.
    1. Rondo

8. James88

James88 Member

Here's a hint.

RONDO'S NOT TOP 5.

9. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

These are my top Point Guards I don't count Westbrook and Curry because they are shooting guards that are forced to play PG because of thier size. A real PG shouldn't look to shoot first... I was hesitant to put Rose on the list but he is a former MVP so I kind of had to.

10. James88

James88 Member

Yeah, sucks when players are forced to play a position because of their size. Reality bites that way. It sucks that Rose has that MVP, otherwise we could boot him too.

Just admit he's not top 5.

A real PG? WTF is that? Why wouldn't Curry shoot first if it's the best shot. A real PG, or any basketball player should look to get the team the best shot. If that's the PG shooting or driving in for a layup/dunk, it's just stupid to pass that up. We might as well put Rubio in the top 10 now, since he's an awesome passer.

11. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Okay what other PGs play both sides as good as Rondo? He is an elite defensive player that automatically puts him in the top 5...

12. James88

James88 Member

Bledsoe is the best PG defender, as in #1. And he's the 2nd most efficient offensive PG. I picked a guy not in your top 5, and he might even get a max contract this offseason, because he's just better than Rondo.

13. domd221

domd221 Member

Lawson, Conley & Bledsoe are not on Rondo's level. Plus, I wouldn't consider Bledsoe an elite PG based on 10 or so NBA games...

14. Lovemachine2000

I am a UK Alum, but even I am not homer enough to say Rondo is top 5 PG. Back when the Celtics were contending and elite PG talents were scarce, yes, but certainly not today. Rondo still has no outside game after all these years, he should really learn a thing or two from Parker.

15. johnnytsunami

johnnytsunami Member

If fully healthy, there is no question that Rondo is in the argument for Top 5 PG in the league. He is an all-league defender, has fantastic court vision and passing abilities, and is probably the best rebounding PG in the league. Not to mention he's got great size and hands for the PG position. People constantly lament Rondo for his scoring abilities, but he does so many things that benefit the team, that his lack of shooting (while a considerable weakness) is tolerable (see Jason Kidd -- Rondo's essentially a lesser version of Jason Kidd, but still an All-Star caliber version). He's still relatively young and could potentially improve his shooting later in his career ala Jason Kidd. Also, he's averaged 11+ assists/game for the past 3 straight years -- not even CP3 has done this. You are kidding yourself if you don't think Rondo's that good, he's a perennial All-Star.

And Conley and Lawson over Rondo? Really? Explain that.

Side note: Never thought I'd be defending Rondo, I just don't like the guy.

16. James88

James88 Member

We can't just ignore Rondo's health. He's not at the Rose or Westbrook stage of recovery yet. Where both those guys look fully healthy, but not yet in full rhythm yet. Rondo hasn't been on the court yet, so we don't know how he'll recover.

BUT, I'll grant you a fully healthy Rondo, just for the fun of discussion.

I still don't think he's top 5 today.

Please list your top 5. It's so easy to say so-and-so is a top PG. But there's sooo many good to great PGs now.

CP3
    Parker
    Westbrook
    Curry
    Rose
    Conley
    Lawson
    Beldsoe
    Irving
    Rubio
    Lillard
    Wall
    Thomas
    Teague
    Lin

Rondo and who else is in your top tier?

17. Gil

Gil Member

It's hilarious how overrated playmaking PG's are. History tells us they really aren't important

2012 Miami Heat - Star: Lebron James, PG: Chalmers
    2012 Miami Heat - Star: Lebron James, PG: Chalmers
    2011 Dallas Mavericks - Star: Nowitzki, PG: Kidd
    2010 Los Angeles Lakers - Star: Kobe, PG: Fisher
    2009 Los Angeles Lakers - Star: Kobe, PG: Fisher
    2008 Boston Celtics - Star: Big3, PG: Rondo (remember he was just a role player with almost no impact, they ironically got worse the more his usage increased)
    2007 San Antonio Spurs - Star: Duncan, PG: Parker
    2006 Miami Heat - Star: Wade, PG: Jason Williams
    2005 San Antonio Spurs - Star: Duncan, PG: Parker
    2004 Detroit Pistons - Star: Big4, PG: Billups
    2003 San Antonio Spurs - Star: Duncan, PG: Parker
    2002 Los Angeles Lakers - Star: Shaq, PG: Fisher
    2001 Los Angeles Lakers - Star: Shaq, PG: Fisher
    2000 Los Angeles Lakers - Star: Shaq, PG: Harper
    1999 San Antonio Spurs - Star: Duncan, PG: Avery Johnson
    1998 Chicago Bulls - Star: MJ, PG: Harper
    1997 Chicago Bulls - Star: MJ, PG: Harper
    1996 Chicago Bulls - Star: MJ, PG: Harper
    1995 Houston Rockets - Star: Hakeem, PG: Kenny Smith
    1994 Houston Rockets - Star: Hakeem, PG: Kenny Smith
    1993 Chicago Bulls - Star: MJ, PG: BJ Armstrong
    1992 Chicago Bulls - Star: MJ, PG: Paxson
    1991 Chicago Bulls - Star: MJ, PG: Paxson

Everyone seems to think a PG should be a classic pass-first playmaker when it's been proven that different types of PGs can be winners/great. Every PG that can score is "more of a 2" even if they've never played off-the-ball in their lives. I really don't understand the fascination with playmaking, pass-first PGs when in the frame work of a team, a PG that runs the offense isn't really necessary if you have other ball-handlers/playmakers.

There really isn't a need for a traditional PG on this team when you have multiple ball handlers on this team. Perhaps it's because of the Magic Johnson era through the 1980s and early 1990s and remember its obvious, everyone loved Magic Johnson. When a pass-first PG works it is really fun to watch, hence all the fans for Nash and now Rubio/Rondo. Everyone is expecting the next Magic but even Magic was a regular 20 PPG scorer in the playoffs.

The smallest player on the court isn't going to have the most impact. Championship winning teams are usually built on bigs and elite scoring wings.

1 person likes this.
  18. Raven

Raven Member

Just say no to Rondo.

19. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Okay tell me when another PG can make an 8 minute highlight tape from one game on DEFENSE AND REBOUNDS ALONE not to mention throw in 23 assists oh and it was agiainst who else but TP...

Oh and please tell me the other PGs out there that can effectively guard another teams best player even if that player is Lebron freaking James I would really love to see all these great players I have been missing out on.

Plus who needs a three point shot when your elbow jumper (which he can get whenever he wants) is equivalent to a lay up?

20. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Lay off the pipe man... Bledsoe has 47 NBA starts. Rondo has 92 playoff starts.