1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Asik for Thaddeus Young?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Nov 17, 2013.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

Young is a poor man's Paul Millsap.

No thanks. We already have Jones.

Evan Turner would be a better get.

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

No doubt about it.

3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I think you underestimate both Asik, and Morey.

Morey knows we do not, in fact, HAVE to trade Asik. We can just tell the big bloke that we'll move him if the right deal presents itself, and tell him to stay fit, active, and in training until that moment arrives.

There's no way that Morey takes less than market value for Asik. He'd rather just keep him with the team until the end of his contract than do that.

Asik is a very hot commodity in the NBA. Big men who can defend screen and rolls, and provide elite rebounding and defensive presence are exceptionally valuable. Sure, the laughable deals might be offered first, but I guarantee you that there are teams out there desperate to get Asik, and the real offers will soon come through.

4. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

It would not surprise me at all if Morey waited until much closer to the trade deadline to dump Asik. Also Jones and D-Mo are at a point in their development where they really need NBA court time. They were very productive in the Denver game (42 minutes, 26 points, 16 rebounds and 4 blocks) and were acceptable on the defensive end (except for Jones first 3 minutes where he lost Faried 3 times for easy baskets). We shall see.

5. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

I like this trade a lot. Bigger names doesn't mean bigger games. LMA sounds sexy but not necessarily fits Rockets.

Young + 2014 first round will get it done.

BTW why they need Asik when they have Noel?

6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

They don't. It is just more CF madness. Winning this season is low on the 76ers priority list.

7. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

Right they don't even have a first round for 2014. They own it to Miami and Orlando Lottery protected from Moultrie and Bynum trades. There is no way they give their lottery to Rockets. They are aiming for Wiggins.

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Philly is not trading Turner IMO, especially for Omer. Turner has turned into an all star caliber player. But if Philly would trade him.... Then hell yes and don't think twice about it.

9. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I don't know much about Thaddeus Young so i'm indifferent at this point about the trade. My question is IF this is a done deal WHY do they have to wait so long to get it done?
    Are they waiting for a third team to come forth and be a dance partner? If this is not the case then it makes no sense to wait until the deadline...:confused:

10. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

Maybe Rockets are demanding more than Young. Maybe filllers for a first round.

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Are you sure about Turner? He seems like just the product of playing on a real crappy team and would be hard pressed to get minutes from Parsons and Harden.

12. RocketPowerNick

Absolutely no way we keep Asik for that long.

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

They will be waiting at least until December 15th when the number of players who can be traded increases. But my money is on Morey waiting until much closer to the trade deadline. But why hurry? The Rockets are currently 7-4 and will be a better team now that TT has been scrapped.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

But trading their 1st this year is major priority for Hinkie, right?

How can anyone take seriously a suggestion of Philly's 2014 #1? You want a 1st in '14? Talk to Danny Ainge. Offer him Asik for Humphreys + LAC's 1st and you'll get his attention.

15. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Oh I don't underestimate Morey at all. But who's setting Asik's value? You and CFs or other GMs? I know we don't HAVE to move him in that sense, but you don't keep a player in your locker room who doesn't want to be here. Especially when we are trying to build a contending team. I agree Asik has good value on defense and rebounding, but I just don't view him as a major piece to a team trying to win a title. So maybe some losing team rebuilding will want to gamble on him, we will see who bites and when.

16. crash5179

IDK? I've only watched him play once this season. I'm not a big believer in just putting up all star numbers because your on a crappy team stuff. If the guy was putting up 21 PPG on .400 FG% I might agree with you, but he is hitting almost .480 on his FG% while grabbing 6 boards and 3+ assists. He has improved every year and was the 2nd pick in his draft for a reason. He and MCW, could be one of the better back courts in the league once MCW has some seasoning.

But like I said if Philly wants to trade him for Asik I would do it.

17. crash5179

Really? You want to ask TMac about that? Morey held on to him right until the last second and then got more value for him than anyone believed possible. TMac was in full blown cancer mode that season but Morey didn't blink.

18. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

nah I'd just trade Asik for a 3 and D wing player+a veteran center on a one year deal. It might not seem like fair value but at this point we need to fulfill fit than get talent. And I'd rather see Jones start and develop to become our PF then let Young ruin his development.

19. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I'm not advocating anything, much less doing a trade in a hurry . If what you are saying is correct , and they are waiting for additional players to become available, then this trade is nowhere being a done deal!, and can be axed at any moment! I guess what I'm trying to say is that this trade rumor is a lot more rumor than actual trade at this point. I think the Hinkie/Morey connection has some people trying to be Nostradamus, and this can lead to people making unfounded predictions!...Besides 76's fans are somewhat delusional, so take whatever they say with a grain of salt...:eek:

20. leslie

leslie Member

I am not sure if Sam is willing to give up an unprotected lottery pick for Asik, but he definitely did us a big favor by expressing interest in Asik. Morey will have more leverage when dealing with other teams.