1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Lowry-Dragic vs. Lin Tracking Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JCDenton, Nov 1, 2012.

1. nono

nono Member

Our center leaves both of our pgs on an island defending the pick and roll. It's the reason even Beverley is looking like an average defender out there. How many point guards in the league can stay in front of their man when being picked ?

2. IronicMan

IronicMan Member

Numbers show Dragic is the worst defensively out of the three. Lowry, at his best, is the better defender, by a pretty wide margin.

Lowry >>> Lin >>> Dragic in terms of defensive ability.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

There are no accurate measures available to the public because scoring the ball is ultimately in the hands of the offensive player.

For example Steve Blake could drive past an out of position James Harden and blow a layup, while Kobe Bryant could nail a highly contested jumper in Shane Battier's face.

Stats will show Harden as the superior defender which is incorrect.

You can't rely on stats for defensive analysis, you have to watch the games, often the same play 2-3 times to find out what exactly happened.

4. roxxy

roxxy Member

LOL still with the name calling. And the eye test is an inherently flawed source. But ok.

Hmm I can agree with this while they were rockets Lin was the worst of the 3. But things have changed. I watched Dragic last year and his D was not good at all he is definitely now the worst of the 3. I also watched Lowry in Toronto and his D has fallen off as well but I would say it is about a wash with Lin. Lowry is a better one on one defender & getting over screens but Lin is a better help defender, has a greater knack for getting steals and better at playing the passing lanes.

For the most part yeah I think this is where the truth lies

5. RoxD

RoxD Member

The low TO number elevates Jeremy's PER to 19.69, after he had an 11-pt, 5-Ast game against the Celtics.

6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Who cares? Lin is playing great as the 6th man and we are coming off one of our best games of the season.

7. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

You're right Ln is playing well and I think all Rocket fans should be happy about it. Sometimes it does bug me when people say he is playing well as the 6th man like that decision had something to do with his play. I think Lin would play just as well and maybe better as a starter. I think his improvement is from being healthy and the work he put in over the summer.

8. DL24

DL24 Member

Lin...playing like a top 10 point guard

Lowry/Dragic...playing their way out of NBA relevancy

9. bobotheclown

bobotheclown Member

New guy here so I have to ask; why is this thread so popular? I understand the Bev vs Lin debate since they are on the same team and there is a perceived competition for who is starter, but isn't this thread same as pining for the girl you dumped while facebook stalking her? It's not like Dragic or Lowry is going to come back.

10. pnr

pnr Member

It's not like there's a significant gap between the three of them. I can understand if the PG were Rose, Westbrook, Curry, but Lowry and Dragic? Really?

11. pnr

pnr Member

Fixed. If he can lower his turnovers and increase his assists, then I can say he has moved into top 10 PG territory.

12. davli

davli Member

Fully agreed - moving Lin down to the 6th man did not magically make him shoot 53% FG and 44% 3pt. If anything he should average 1-2 more assists per game by being in the starting lineup cuz of more time with Dwight.

Need to give him credit for being humble and self-secure enough to accept the 6th man role instead of acting like, i don't know, Asik?

1 person likes this.
  13. DL24

DL24 Member

haha, oh boy, this must be a golden age for lof, all those haters that used Lin's pedestrian stats against him last year are nowhere to be found...I'm a Lin fan, but I'll be patient and wait abit longer - if he can get his chemistry right with Howard and Harden he'll be even better, although I think he might outgrow his role in the near future anyway =S

14. DJSlik

DJSlik Rookie

well said. don't forget his best game of the season came against philly as a starter. he's just BETTER, period. and dat LEFT hand!

15. Caris

Caris Member

Very true.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yep, but because he comes in off the bench he gets the ball in his hands more often which also helps him succeed as he seems to be a bit more effective with the ball than without, though his catch and shoot 3s this year are MONEY !

DD

17. conquistador#11

I'd like to see lin improve on his 3 seconds hot potato jumper. parsons and bev are awful at it too. Don't stand there and just admire the beard, know that in any moment that ball will be coming to you with seconds left.

18. King1

King1 Contributing Member

It's not an insult to him at all from my perspective. He's playing a key role in helping us win games. No question his work over the summer has paid off. I like having his scoring off the bench. Not as much pressure and he can play his game. i'm sure he'll be finishing games down the stretch which is what really matters

19. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Lin is a better defender than Dragic, but not Lowry from watching all 3.

20. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

if he does that, he'll be wortth near the max salary