1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marc Stein on the Omer Asik Situation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 17, 2013.

1. OCBlast

OCBlast Member

when you go from bench to starter, and work your ass out to gain respect around the league, a demotion is hard to swallow - speak from you heart if you would accept that same situation with glee. So trade him, keeping a Gasol/Dwight situation and let it ferment is stupid - their names are not Chardonnay and Merlot

2. mario elie

mario elie Member

Bum?? Locker room cancer? The hate has gone too far. Looking at Morey's track record of "assets" and flipping pieces, he hasn't shown a ton of loyalty. As soon as the Howard deal went through it was obvious DM was looking to trade Asik. It's got to be tough for an up-and-coming player to be benched. I think it's ridiculous he's not even suiting up any more, but we owe him the courtesy of a swift trade. Granted, the price has to be right.

3. 95Rockets

95Rockets Member

Lol how the roles have reversed. Remember when ppl were saying Lin was being a meek Asian boo by accepting his bench role but were saying how alpha Omer was for asserting his role should be to start and an important part of the team concept?

4. OCBlast

OCBlast Member

a happy TRob, a happy Morris and a happy PPat says a lot about the flipping IQ:cool: Continue with the flipping, trade Asik and the league will see a happy Asik.

5. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

Was he a bum last year when he gave this team a steady re-bounder who is not 6-6 in height!!! Was he a key reason the Rockets made the playoffs last year!!! People has selective memory!!

Omer Asik 2012-13 Rankings:

Offensive Rebounds: 275 #4
    Defensive Rebounds: 681 #2
    Total Rebounds: 956 #1
    Field Goal Pct: .541 #11
    Rebounds Per Game: 11.7 #3
    Effective Field Goal Pct: .541 #20
    Offensive Rebound Pct: 12.8 #10
    Defensive Rebound Pct: 31.0 #2
    Total Rebound Pct: 22.0 #2

Why would he become a backup after putting up these numbers??? Somebody tell me please!!!

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Kevin Martin who has been a one dimensional starter all is career, could come off the bench for OKC.

He was efficient from 3 point range and ranked among the best in Free Throws Made. And he used to draw a lot of fouls like Harden.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Poor Omer.

From the bench ye came and to the bench ye shall return.

The GM Morey giveth, and the GM Morey taketh away.

8. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

last time i checked he is starting in Minny and only was a bench player for two years in his career i think??

9. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

Only player I would trade for is Jeff Green

10. conquistador#11

so how many dnp coaches decision will the flu hit asik with?

11. pippsux

pippsux Member

Trade him as soon as possible, team does not need this
    I have to Lin has handled his situation better and has been a pro and he is playing very well. Asik needs to learn from this.

12. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

Celtics:

Asik
    Sullinger
    Wallace
    Lee
    Rondo

Bench:
    Bass
    Humphries
    Bradley
    Olynyk

Rockets:
    Howard
    Green
    Parsons
    Harden
    Lin or Beverley

Bench:
    Beverley or Lin
    Jones
    Garcia
    Casspi

Celtics who only gives up 97.7 points (ranked 8th) will get a defensive presence at center. we get a stretch four that yall want so bad everybody is happy

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We are asking Omer to come off the bench for couple of months, half a year tops.
    Until there is a new home for him.

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I've always considered Stein to be pretty credible but maybe that's because I'm in Dallas and he is so well connected in the Mavs organization. Seems like he was guilty of throwing mud against the wall just to see what sticks during the Dwight Howard free agency signing though. I certainly don't put him in a class with Woj though.

I'm with you on Asik. With out Omer, I don't think we get Dwight this summer. One of the things that made Houston so attractive to Dwight this off season was the perception that we were an up and coming team with a lot of youth and a superstar in James Harden. The main thing that drove that perception was the success the Rockets had last season while making the play-offs and taking OKC to 6 games.

I don't think Houston has that success without Omer. How many games would we have won last season? Mid to low 30s would be my guess because without Omer we had no defense and very little inside presence. What would the perception be of Houston had the Rockets only won 33 games last season? Would Dwight want to come to the Rockets if viewed as just another lottery team with only one good player?

Omer also added to the Morey mystic that he is a basketball savant. With out Omer, Daryl is just viewed as some mad scientist and Dwight may not have enough faith in Houston management to sign with the team.

I'm an Asik fan because I know what he has meant to the team even if he is pouting a bit now. I know its time to move him for the best trade available but I can't have too much animosity towards a guy that was so pivotal to the teams success last season and moving forward, regardless if he ends up playing for another team.

15. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

its not about loyalty, its about professionalism... don't really care if he wants to be traded or not, but when he is called to play, he should play...

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I missed the Philly game when this started out. But please rewatch the game at the Garden in New York. Asik's body language was totally negative, shaking his head, mumbling, staring like a dead fish.
    With due respect, but all signs are telling the same story.

I do not know if Stein is right that he asked everyday but I think he at least thought of playing elsewhere a ton otherwise no guy would report it.

17. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

last year Royce, now Omer, the basketball gods must hate us :(

18. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Because Dwight is better and they play the same position?

19. torocan

torocan Member

Nah. Omer did a good job last year. This year, he's hardly being used anyway and he'll still net us a good trade piece.

As for Royce White, nobody bats .1000. Royce White is a tragedy because it wasn't lack of talent that cost him his basketball career, it was his own poor choices.

Omer no matter how he goes is a win for the Rockets. The Rockets didn't use any picks or trade pieces to acquire him, they just got him in free agency. His performance last year helped us land Dwight Howard. No way we get Howard if we sucked last year.

And when he goes, we'll get either picks or players in return.

Morey won big on Omer. Maybe it won't be as big as it could be if there was not Omer drama, but he still won big because he got a top 5 defensive center for a year and he didn't use any of the team's future to get him, and he'll come out of this with a handful of picks and/or players.

Trust in Morey.

20. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Royce was a clown that never suited up for us. Omer is proven in this league. He's a young guy that wants to start so he can cash in in the future. Doesn't really care about sacrificing for the team because he wants to get paid. understand where he is coming from. Get him to a lottery team so we can pick up assets.