1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets pride. Don't want to be here Omer? See ya!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by aaly1130, Nov 16, 2013.

1. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

We can afford to sit him out even the whole year as we're paying him only $5M this year. We will trade him only when we get a reasonable asset in return.

Don't these guys (players and agents) ever learn never to bet against Daryl Morey?

2. OCBlast

OCBlast Member

since when not betting against Morey helps - he is in the business of making revolving doors:)

3. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Wow, unreal. The biggest quitter in NBA history is a hard worker who doesn't complain. smdh.

4. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

I can throw back the question at you... why on earth does Omer need to perform up to his contract level for the Rockets?

They owe him a salary. They are bound to pay him that salary whether he plays or not. Heck, they are bound to pay him that salary even if he plays poorly or in a half-assed manner.

If he sits on the bench, that's 8 million bucks worth of cap space not producing. That's a hole at the backup center position.

Of course this is a business. Now Omer means business as well. If the Rockets have their leverage, he has his. The very fact that the NBA league is not like a normal organization where, a non performer can be terminated immediately for cause.... the Rockets have to pay Omer his salary regardless of whether he performs like a 8 million dollar center, or a 200,000 dollar mannequin.

Both sides have the tools to hijack one another. And if Omer felt aggrieved that the Rockets have not fulfilled some expectation of his that he be a starter, well, he has now sent them a message loud and clear by his agent (or some source) leaking to the press that he has handed in a transfer request. He has basically told the Rockets - look... both can play this power game. And it will be a lose-lose situation for both... unless you can make it win-win fast.

And of course, it is very easy for most folks here to make sweeping general statements that Omer should suck it up and make the best of his situation. Firstly, the "make the best of his situation" is subjective - it depends on what are his objectives going forward. Holding the Rockets hostage right now could be his strategy to "make the best of his situation" for his OWN PERSONAL OBJECTIVES.

Secondly, it is easy to make sweeping general statements criticising Omer when you are not in the position that he is in. If a similar event / circumstance should happen to you in your own life, I would be amazed if you would accept such a situation with a smile and a *shrug* of the shoulders. Knowing some peeps react here, they would probably have a knee-jerk meltdown on the spot.

Finally, comparing Omer with Jeremy Lin is nonsensical. Jeremy Lin is a guard at a time when the league is full of capable guards. Heck, it is even easy as hell to draft a capable guard into the late teens of the draft. Omer on the other hand, is a top notched defensive center in a league which is extremely limited on them, and in which drafting a top notch center is like trying to shoot a fly from 50 meters (how many centers drafted at a high spot have flamed out without even a whimper of success). Omer has a lot of leverage here because a person of his size and proven skillset is very very rare. There are definitely vultures circling and waiting for an opportunity to pounce if the Rockets are forced to part with him.

Ultimately, all I see from this situation are a lot of mismatched expectations and subsequent posturing from both sides. Oh well, in every crisis, there is an opportunity.... and this is a perfect opportunity for our two young PFs to step up and prove themselves.

LOL! You also need to realise Omer doesn't owe anything to the Rockets.

If it wasn't for him, the Rockets wouldn't have tasted the playoffs last season, and they wouldn't have gotten Dwight.

Its a two way thing. And both sides have disappointed one another.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Top 4 or Top 5

Dwight, Marc Gasol and Hibbert should be better.

6. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Cmon now man. I know you got the red glare glasses on right now, but saying stuff like " asik wont start anywhere else"...thats just tomfoolery.

7. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Ironic username. You can have your team of guys who quit at the first sign of adversity, and I will hope for a team of guys who think winning at least matters.

8. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

First, I'm no AOF. I'm just telling the situation as it is.

Second, you go ahead and do what you want.

Third, Asik doesn't give a donkey's ass what you think about him, nor will anything you do in your lifetime have any impact on him going forward.

1 person likes this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

TBL is right, this is all just business and negotiation power and leverage.

I dont blame Omer for what he is doing, it is his career and he is taking a calculated gamble.

Payton Manning did it, Steve Francis did it, happens all the time.

DD

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I don't think Omer is very very rare in Europe. They might not be as good on Defense but there are skilled and/or defensive bigs in Europe. Available in the second round.
    You need a scout them properly..

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

*scout them properly

12. torocan

torocan Member

Honestly, none of this really matters.

We knew he'd probably be gone by the trade deadline. We'll still get back picks and/or players for him. Considering that he helped us get a bunch of wins last year which helped bring Dwight to Houston (ironic, isn't it?), the Rockets still make out like bandits.

Morey got Omer (and Dwight amazingly) for free. No picks, no players, just picked him up in Free Agency for nothing.

Worst case is Omer doesn't play for the next 3 weeks and he uses that time to heal up those little injuries that add up over the season (helping a bit with trade value). Best case is Omer calms down and plays some quality minutes.

Either way the Rockets are in good shape, Omer will find a team that he can start on, and we get some assets or a nice player back to help us in our push towards the play offs.

Win/win for everyone.

13. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

14. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I know it probably took you a great deal of time to come up with that nonsense.

But I stopped reading after the first two sentences.

At first I thought you couldn't be serious with what you said... Then it slowly dawned on me that you were. And I was left speechless.

Go into your work place this week and do nothing.
    Do absolutely nothing.
    Sit at your desk and sulk.

When you're called into a meeting with your boss tell him blatantly to his face "I owe you nothing. YOU OWE ME a salary. Now give it to me. You agreed to pay me to do a job. Just because I'm not doing it doesn't mean anything. You still owe me"

Do you realise how stupid that sounds. Please tell me you do.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am beginning to suspect that Chris Jent MVP is an Asik Only Hater. This poster rarely posted in two years. And boom, he's all over the place dissing Asik after the meltdown. He looks so excited that Asik is finally shown to be a goat.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Please go research "GUARANTEED CONTRACTS" and come back.

DD

17. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I appreciate you taking the time to write all that, I really do, and I hate saying the following whether you believe me or not, but some of what you wrote is complete horse****. No excuses for that ******** guy. You get paid, you do your ******** job, period. No excuses about comparing point guards to centers, etc. If you don't like your demotion, there is a right way and a wrong way of dealing with it. The right way is that you accept your role, play your *** off, and wait until your contract is up before you leave- and you have your agent deal with the Rockets behind closed doors, not in the press.

But you're right- Omer can do whatever the **** he wants. Even if it shows that he's a selfish baby. Lot of adults out there that act that way.

18. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

But so ******** what? We know what Downtown's point is, and he's absolutely right. Any player that decides he doesn't want to help my team do well- well, he can just go to ******** hell- that includes Vernon Maxwell in 1995, Royce white in 2012, and Omer Asik in 2013.

Don't want to help the Rockets win? Great. f*** you. Team #1.

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Why are people defending Asik for quitting on the team? That makes no sense at all to me. Sure I understand why he's upset and I'm fine with him being mad. It shows he's a competitor. But you don't leave your team and your teammates out to dry like this. It's immature and selfish.

All he had to do was tell Morey he was unhappy and he demands a trade. Then play his ass off and let the chips fall where they may. Easy as that and anything less is real real poor on his end.

20. hltiki

hltiki Member

Milton Waddams? Is that you man?