1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets pride. Don't want to be here Omer? See ya!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by aaly1130, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

I wish Morey had taken care of this during the offseason. Now, if we trade Asik, we won't get top value for him as an asset. Teams now know that we are desperate to unload him.

In addition, whoever we're getting back in the trade, might mess up our team chemistry and set us back during the playoffs. Similar to what happened after last season's Patterson and Marcus Morris trades. It ruined our chemistry.

2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Parsons is the glue guy. What's wrong with being professional? Team goes first then everyone else. Parsons supports the team first.

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

He's calling out weakness. He needs to call out the strength of the team as well. In other words, Lin/Harden/Howard/Himself.

4. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

with today's economy, I would be out of job if I followed your advise lol... glad you have a secure job where you can afford to hold your company hostage if they hired an upgrade to your position... I have a few mouths to feed and cannot afford to do this...

btw Asik is playing 0% not 80-90%... 0%.. thats is totally unprofessional...

end of the day, this is a business... you always upgrade if you can... lots of people would work for pennies just to get a crack at playing on NBA level... Asik is fortunate to have rockets take a risk on him... he is paid to do a job which he is not doing right now...

5. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

What's happening between Asik and the Rockets is something that I have seen happen in other organizations very often. Its a classic politics / power play situation.

If I had to speculate what caused Asik to blow up and throw his tantrum, I would say that he probably felt the Rockets haven't been sincere to him (the benching at the Philly game) or kept to whatever commitments they made to him (to trade him or at least to keep him as a starter). He probably feels that the Rockets management are trying to have their cake (get Dwight, which would naturally mean he is relegated to a lesser role) and eat it too (keep him playing as the backup center - which would mean that Rockets get 48 minutes of elite rim protection, but at the cost of him still being a backup with 20 or so minutes / game only).

So he is trying to send the Rockets a message with his implosion: Look, if you want me to play / play hard for you / be satisfied with lesser minutes and not being a closer - you start me. If you do not want to start me, trade me ASAP. If you do not want to trade me ASAP, then be prepared to have 8 million bucks worth of unhappiness not giving you any effort or even showing up. I have my own form of leverage and am not afraid of using it to get what I want as well.

Messages are being sent (and received) between the Rockets management and Asik. Both sides are now pretty entrenched in their positions and looking out purely for their own interests.

At the end of the day, who can blame either of them....? Rockets took a risk to try to have an elite backup center covering for Dwight by giving in to Asik's demand to at least be a starter in the lineup. Asik was willing to accept taking lesser minutes and not being a closer as long as he was in the starting lineup and as long as the Rockets were actively looking for a trade partner for him. With him being taken out of the starting lineup (likely permanently), he has no other interest in being a mere backup and playing only 15 - 20 minutes a night. So it is his turn to push back now.

This kind of "human resource conflicts" happen so often (with all the politics and maneuverings and what not) that I am surprised that that are a lot of folks on this board that are surprised at what is happening......

6. Rox23

Rox23 Member

I no feewuh wike pwaying today, coach.

why not, Omer. What's wrong?

No feewuh good.

Sore back? Bad knee? Torn ACL?

Bwoken heart.

7. Chris Jent MVP

He has no leverage. He can only hurt his own value and reputation. He will pay for this when it's time to negotiate his next contract.

Me. I can blame Omer.

8. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

He has more than enough leverage. No team wants to leave 8 million bucks rotting on the bench or not being put to work.

Elite defensive centers are a premium in this league. And I have seen enough cancers and headcases being given chance after chance and getting big contract after big contract even after they have had some pretty bad (and self-created) disputes with their former teams.

9. Chris Jent MVP

Omer gave up on the Rockets before the season even began! He was pouting for a trade before giving the team a chance and working with his teammates. He fulfilled his own destiny with his bad attitude.

He didn't read it correctly. He put himself above the team and he wrote on the wall himself.

Good riddance!

10. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

if you are getting paid 25 mill for 3 years to play a GAME... you are SUPPOSE to play with your heart and soul every day... you are SUPPOSE to give all your talent on the court every game... doesn't matter how many minutes you play...

... what do you want? a cookie?

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

That's where you're wrong. Plenty of teams will pay for a top 3 defensive center in the league. He will
    Get paid and paint the situation as the rockets lying to him blah blah. The rockets are the ones that lose, not really asik.

12. Chris Jent MVP

Good luck being a "top 3" player after you've been on ice for half a season. He will be dealt at the Feb 15 deadline, and will not suit up for this team ever again until that day.

And you seriously think he will be a starter on another team? The Rockets were the only team that offered him that role to begin with. After he gets shipped out of here, he goes back to being a benchwarmer on his new team. He didn't really think his cunning plan all the way through.

13. TheDr34m

TheDr34m Contributing Member

GM's are not stupid around the league they know that Omer is hard working center who doesn't complain. They know that it would piss anyone off to come off a great season averaging a double double and steadily improve the season and the team he plays for grabs the best center on the market. Of course he will be pissed. Rockets did the right move but it would piss anyone off who wants to improve and become a better player and you get someone in the offseason that plays your position.

GM's will know that by getting a guy like Asik he will not be a headcase he just wants to be treated fairly. My opinion he did the right thing and reiterated that he wants to be traded but he needs to be professional about it and continue to play his tail off like he has done all along.

14. Chris Jent MVP

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

LOLOLLOLOL

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

15. aaly1130

aaly1130 Member

couldn't have said it better myself!

16. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Asik does have leverage and he is using it now.

He may slightly tarnish his brand but he's still going to get paid in his next contract if he played anything like last year...

Elite rebounder
    Top 5 rim protector
    Excellent defensive fundamentals

Asik has got a good reputation already and the drama at the moment wont stop him being one of the top centers coveted by teams in the league.

The effect of the current power play is that Morey will have to negotiate a trade from a weaker position. Morey can sit on Asik as long as the situation does not negatively impact the team or the organization. Look for Morey to iso Asik and Asik's agent to turn up the heat.

17. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Correct. We upgraded from a defensive center with mediocre offense to a more expensive defensive center with mediocre offense who demands the ball more on the offensive side.

Sweet deal.

18. Chris Jent MVP

AOF derp :rolleyes:

19. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

While I felt bad for Omer that he was relegated back to a reserve role after coming here to be a starter - why on earth do the Rockets need to be sincere to him?

The Rockets organisation doesn't owe Omer anything.

Well that's incorrect. They owe him a salary. Which they are continuing to happily pay whilst Omer sits on the bench.

This isn't a boardroom venture where one director has gone behind another director's back.

This is a business.
    The boss is trying to make his company as successful as possible.

Omer needs to realise he is owed nothing by this organisation.
    And if it wasn't for this organisation - the rest of the League wouldn't realise his worth.

20. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

no we upgraded from 10pts 12 rebounds 1 blk a game to 18pts 14 rebounds and 2.5 blks a game... thats hell of an upgrade tbh...

Asiks offense is not mediocre its no existent... makes dwight look like shaq...