1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard is a terrible post up player

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LBJ-Tmac, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Oh, so you mean moving the ball around helps players score?

Weird that Kobe didn't realize that.

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

Yeah but can he do Asik style layups?

3. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

Bump for the truth.

Dwight's post play is seriously cringe-worthy [​IMG]
    Coach McHale has to be losing a part of his soul every time Dwight tries to post up [​IMG]

10 whole years in the league too, Im not sure how much better he can truly get.

4. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

I found it somewhat funny when Dwight got stripped by old man Andre and then on his next post-up he got called for an offensive foul for trying to run over Mozgov and then the camera switched and panned into McHale's bemused face.

5. dookiester

dookiester Member

just hope the 'feed dwight' experiment ends soon. if the rockets want to go down low for points, they are much better off feeding Dmo or letting harden post up. dwight needs to know his role - play defense. if you want points you're going to have to set lots of screens and roll hard to the bucket or just crash the boards hoping to clean up, because your low post game is turrible.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Anytime Dwight has to change directions in the post with his back to the basket, that's when he becomes extremely uncoordinated and turnover prone. He's most successful when he just faces up and is able to get to the basket off one dribble.

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Do you guys think this "feed Dwight" campaign is more to appease Dwight as opposed to a legitimate winning strategy? I have a feeling McHale is just trying to make good on his campaign promise.
    Come January, Dwight will ask McHale himself for more P+R's instead

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I've actually wondered if they just don't want the league to get too much info to scout on their p+r in the regular season.

Harden and Howard whipped it out for 7 minutes against the Spurs in the pre season and it disappeared since.

The other side of it is let him get the repetitions in game, if it improves, that means a lot for subsequent years, if it doesn't, well at least he knows.

9. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Agreed. It was quite frustrating watching D-mo give up baskets on every possession and then not getting him the ball on the post against Mosgov. Yet when Dwight posts up, they give it to him immediately. Dwight should just play like a more talented Omer, and he could average 15 points, 15 rebounds without all the post ugliness.

10. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

If only dwight could add shaq's àss and strength he generated from it to get post position

11. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

they've been calling some terrible offensive fouls on him. hes doing his thing.

12. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

That's not what made Shaq great, it was his amazing footwork and touch for a Guy his size that made him amazing.

13. leslie

leslie Member

His post-up game is actually very effective when the other team decides to double-team him; we usually end up with a wide-open three on the weak side in this situation. I know our players didn't make those shots in the last few games, but they will break out of shooting slump eventually.

14. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

D-Mo is a better post up player than D-12...

15. juanm34

juanm34 Member

The "feed dwight" in the post was surely part of the rockets campaign to get him to commit to Houston. We wanted him here so now we just have to put up with it and pray Hakeem can teach him the know how. I don't mind the experiment, as long as its in the first half.

16. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

I like D-Mo, and even James, in the post more than Howard.

He's god awful; misses bunnies, turns it over, or just hails one at the rim with no regard due to his mechanical release.

I don't know why he thinks he's good. He's a freak athlete, but he's uncoordinated, miserable with the ball, and has arguably the worst touch of anyone I've seen that has that type of hype as a big man.

17. Mr. Space City

so basically dwight is tyson chandler? :grin:

18. SexyButIgnorant

I'm in the minority that thinks this guy isn't terrible in the post. Almost everytime he posts up, the dude is doubled, which gives the Rockets an open three usually. And when he isn't doubled, he's got solid go to moves.

He did have that terrible offensive game against the Knicks, but he made up for it defensively. But we can't crucify him for one game. He's absolutely killed other teams in the post, and he'll only continue to get better.

I will say this, refs have not been very kind to DH. :)