1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Assigning Responsibility - Ty Lawson's 28 Points

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RoxOn RoxOff, Nov 16, 2013.

1. dragonz

dragonz Member

We are terrible at P&R defense, that is the root of our bad defense.

You can do 2 things against P&R:
    1. the defender for dribbler need to be proactive, play ICE, and put body in between the 2 players even before the P&R happens.
    NBA Defense: How to ICE the Pick And Roll
    2. fight through the pick, and everybody rotates.
    Example would be ... Asik

we are not doing neither, that's why we suck at defense.

2. Solaris

Solaris Member

Good break down by OP and good explanation by Torocan.

3. PnRScreen

PnRScreen Rookie

never knew PG has to guard 5 people at once.....

Such a troll

4. DL24

DL24 Member

silly thread, the vast majority of lawson's points and assists came in pure garbage time when the rockets were up double digits...we call this empty calories stats

5. Cautiously_Op

Cautiously_Op Member

I'm glad someone else also picked up on this. I'm sure I didn't recognize this as easily as you did, but on one of them it was really clear, DMo slid really far past the 3pt arc and it forced Denver's PG to stop his motion and reverse his dribble. I thought DMo did an excellent job, better than the other players that had been next to Houston's PG on these PnR defenses.

6. Solaris

Solaris Member

Yep, DMO did well. He was also setting screens for our PGs.

7. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Love how when you get butthurt, just call somebody a troll. Lol. I forgot this is CF where some people don't know how to have elevated discussions. Defense starts at the top so yeah, our guards do need to do a better job of pressuring the ball handler especially if shooters are making their shots.

8. jlfans

jlfans Member

9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Our team defense is terrible in many regards, but I believe it'll be figured out soon. Dwight goes for block and everyone watches instead of playing off of that. James and Lin switch and ball handler gets easy layup. Effort of help defense is the biggest issue. All our players do well on individual defense, but we're not helping one another.

10. Cautiously_Op

Cautiously_Op Member

Yes. For 7footers I think DMo sets better screens than Asik (although at this point it doesn't matter for Asik anymore, lol).

11. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Excellent original post and then you had to go ruin all your hard work with a troll post

:confused:

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

What is the need to "analyze" Lawson who scored half of his points during the time in which the Rockets were clearly guarding the 3pt line during the hacking sequence?

During the rest of the game, the Rockets basically defended Lawson fine. Not sure the reason for this thread.

13. PnRScreen

PnRScreen Rookie

our guard forced lawson to pass the ball, its up to other guy to defend the one receiving the pass. Not the guard genius.

14. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

THANK YOU! This has been driving me crazy.
    The bigs seriously need to do a MUCH better job at helping Patrick and Jeremy when they get screened, especially Dwight tbh!

Speaking of which, did anyone notice in the 76ers game (i think?) when Patrick got screened and his man got an easy bucket cuz Dwight's PnR defense was non-existent? Patrick immediately chewed him up about it which I loved cuz Dwight has been doing it for a while and it was annoying me.

They cant be leaving the guards in an island, bigs gotta put more effort in helping them while they recover.

The PnR is hard to defend when you've got quick guards that are great at it, like you know ... James and Jeremy. Its a shame the Rockets' coaching staff won't embrace it to it fullest. :(

15. Calamity.12

Calamity.12 Member

Even if scoring happened during garbage time, our starters were still in... I guess you can argue that we let up on defense to avoid fouls that would stop the clock, but I definitely think that this is valuable.

Props for doing this analysis. I'd love to see this for whoever has a career night against us next (e.g. JJ Redick, Steve Blake, Rudy Gay, James Anderson)

16. Calamity.12

Calamity.12 Member

Well this is only sorta true. You don't see too many guys receive assists when they are getting hounded and forced to pass out. This does happen on threes when people are playing inside out, but not as much for points in the paint (where lawson got most of his assists)

So I'd argue that our guards did not "force" lawson to pass the ball or suffocate him on defense. He was able to see the court well and make good plays.

17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

1) Nuggets has no one else who can create their own shot so TY will have big assist numbers

2) Our philisophy is no layups, minimize 3 pointers, and contest midrange Js. The Nuggets just happened to make their midrange Js but far from enough from beating us

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Good point. It's almost like we picked our poison and it's not all that strong.

19. Reach

Reach Member

Nobody gave a flyiing **** about defending in the fourth quarter when Lawson hogged every possession.

20. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

In the 4th Lin and Harden were abused by Ty. Lin can't keep up with Ty and Harden plays the laziest help D I've ever seen. Jones did a good job covering Ty when he had to.