1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Driving 101: Who has the right of way in this situation?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bmd, Nov 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. bmd

bmd Member

Okay, here is a diagram of what I am talking about:

[​IMG]

Okay, so... this is the layout of a road I travel on frequently. I'm in the blue car, and I get into the left turn lane. No lights or stop signs or anything. I'm going to make a U-turn.

Often, another vehicle will be waiting in the parking lot in front of me so that they can make a right turn, like the red vehicle in my diagram.

Now, here's my question. Who has the right of way? I would have to cross in front of the red vehicle to make my turn... however... I am on the road, and the red vehicle is in a parking lot.

Doesn't the vehicle in the parking lot ALWAYS have to yield to any vehicles on the road?

2. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Yes, the red vehicle should always have to yield. However, you are illegally u-turning in the diagram. You have to get to the opposite side so that you are not blocking the other direction of traffic's line of sight.

3. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

i hate people who turn from the inside of the median like you did in the diagram. its wrong, theres a reason you take the outside. its so you can see oncoming traffic..

4. bmd

bmd Member

I'm not so sure waiting between the medians is legal.

You are supposed to wait in the turn lane.

If people went to the opposite side of the median, you would be crossing over each other, and that isn't safe.

And my diagram isn't exactly correct. There would be no way for a vehicle to wait between the medians unless they were blocking the turn lane... and blocking a turn lane is illegal.

5. bobloblaw

There was a thread about this a few months ago. I don't think it is actually illegal but I was taught in driver's ed to always do it the way I described. Yes you would be crossing over each other, but that is less dangerous than entering the roadway when you cannot see the traffic coming. It seems more dangerous that way. Here's an article with a similar diagram that is really just an open question:
    The Diagram
    [​IMG]

6. NateNate

NateNate Member

We should have a thread just for things we hate in traffic. I hate when people cross the double white lines when exiting/entering the freeway!

7. bobloblaw

8. bmd

bmd Member

That diagram is different from mine. That diagram has no dedicated left turn lane. My diagram does.

There is no way to sit between the medians on the opposite sides unless you are blocking the turn lane traffic.

I made a new diagram:

[​IMG]

If I was between the median on the opposite side, I would be blocking the turn lane, and possibly sticking out in the street if I had a truck.

9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You're in a gray area.
    First, you need to consult your states law. Is this texas?
    Are there any signs on your median break?

Texas says: (and this is not necessarily official)
    If you are to treat it like a yield, then the other person would have right of way. Unfortunately, yields are treated like "a stop sign w/out the actual stopping". A yield basically says "you're allowed to go, but you have the very last ROW".

10. bmd

bmd Member

11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Wait, I was under the impression that on U-Turns, you yield on the opposite side of the median only if there is no specific left turn lane...otherwise, like the picture shows, if there is a lane to make a left/uturn, then you stay on that side of the median. Think about it...if there is an indicated left turn/uturn lane coming against you, and there are 3-4 cars in that lane, then making U Turn on the opposite side of the median not only blocks them, but you still cant see because those cars are in the way.

12. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

this. Also red car has right of way.

13. bmd

bmd Member

Red car is not on the roadway. Parking lot always yields to the road.

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

All this can be avoided if you just make eye contact and make a notion that you are yielding to the other guy, or vice versa.

15. rex

rex Member

If a centerline is marked, even if under 30', you should be following the wide median illustration. Broadway in Galveston is an example.

16. bmd

bmd Member

In that case, of course.

17. bmd

bmd Member

Well I do... but I still would like to know what is correct.

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In California the Blue car would have the right of way. The red car isn't on a roadway and is entering the street from a parking lot. The red car is supposed to yield.

19. Ismail

Ismail Member

I always learned that the red car is not allowed to take a right turn into the left most lane for this exact reason. The blue car U-turns into the left lane, the red car can take a right into the right lane.

But if there was only one lane, I treat these situations like a stop sign. Whoever got there first has right of way, and then other cars behind the blue and red cars alternate.