1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Major issues for Lin is confidence

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PnRScreen, Nov 13, 2013.

1. dwanga

dwanga Member

Good insight. It has always been speculated that the likes of Jordan and Kobe, the leadership type, have an antisocial personality where they have an endless drive to feel superior to others.

May I also add that confidence is a direct extension of experience, whether it is good or bad, ie. Dwight has had more bad experiences at the FT, thus less confidence. On top of that, I don't think he has the ability to shrug off negative attention, and it sure builds up.

You saw the big fish and came in to drop the fat bait. :grin:

2. seven7seven

seven7seven Member

Lin is definitely a player that feeds off the energy of the fans. You can tell during the hysteria of Linsanity, he was buzzing when the MSG started chanting his name and cheering what he did. He needs some of that at the Toyota Center.

3. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

If you watched Lin played in NY and you will notice that lin always play well on 2nd half and particularly on 4th quarter. That's why Lin fans are very sensitive when Mchale bench him on 4th quarter last season.

[​IMG]

4. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

Sort of agree with you. But one distinction. Lin can play better if he's confident, but I am not sure Dwight can improve his post or FTs even if he is more confident. You can't be confident without first having proven to yourself that you can do it again. I think Lin has shown people that he can play great games when he's given a chance, so he just has to be more consistently good. With Dwight, I have not seen one game where I said to myself "Damn, he's good post player and a FT shooter." I will say this again: there is no way that Rockets will win a Championship with Dwight as a Center if he's going to be a major offensive option. If Asik didn't have hands of stone, I'd say keep Asik. He needs to be a 3rd or 4th offensive option if he keeps on insisting being a post player. He has to run a lot of PnRs. Also, during 4th quarter, he's going to be a major liability with his bad FT shooting.

5. kakaman

kakaman Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>I never seen so many <a href="https://twitter.com/JLin7">@JLin7</a> jerseys in my life in the garden!!! <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Respect&amp;src=hash">#Respect</a></p>&mdash; Scott Machado (@_ScottMachado) <a href="https://twitter.com/_ScottMachado/statuses/401149648548929536">November 15, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's funny how Lin has so many fans who cheer him on, yet he doesn't have confidence in himself.

6. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

its not confidence in himself. its the coaches' confidence in him. under dantoni he had no leash. woodson comes in and instant leash, albeit an artificially long one. then mchale has a less than rookie size leash last year. this year as a bench player, he has a LOOOONG leash and look at what he's doing with the freedom.

1 person likes this.
  7. changwiz

changwiz Member

You can say the same thing for almost EVERYONE in the league, even LeBron tends to choke at the final crucial moments

8. kakaman

kakaman Member

Eh, I think that's a bit overblown. To be successful in the NBA, you need to adapt to whatever system the coaches run. In the end, Harden and Howard are the ones carrying the team (whether you like it or not), so Lin needs to fit his game to theirs, not the other way around.

I've heard numerous reporters say after talking to Jeremy, they were surprised he had so much self doubt, as opposed to other players who are supremely confident. Even someone like Beverly, you can tell he has a lot of confidence in himself from his demeanor, even though Jeremy is a far more complete player than Bev is.

9. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

overblown? perhaps. perhaps lin's "self confidence issue" is overblown as well. the point i guess is that both are contributing factors to his play. its the coaches job to get the most out of him. if that means keeping him confident so be it. this is why i think benching him after a mistake does him no favors and does the team no favors. he's a smart guy, he knows what he did wrong. to punish him for it is just messing with his head. likewise, i dont see howard being benched if they hack a dwight. yes he did it yesterday, but what message does it send howard to not let him try to sink his free throws? this is DANGEROUS ground imo....

10. ADB

ADB Member

He's doing pretty good right now, so let's find a new weakness to label him with.

11. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

Kyle Lowry in his time here behind AB had that five star general attitude and couldn't even score like lin, but he got respect from the team and built himself a nice little niche. Jlin can potentially be a JCrossover, Manu type long term.

#51 ballplayer, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  12. Wizardsonlyfan

turnovers, decision making, short arms.

13. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

lack of being "macho"/ethnic type trait, bleeds easily (may have undiagnosed clotting disorder), heals very slowly from surgery, threw a lob pass too hard to Parsons.

14. hat1

hat1 Member

No, we don't need another ego manic.

15. yummyhawtsauce

Scott is playing for new york?

16. yummyhawtsauce

you are totally right about this. Lin is extreme-humble, and it can affect his confidence. It's because he seems to also hold himself to a really really high standard. I wonder what standard that is.

17. LLDD117

LLDD117 Member

Like I said before, JLin7 is the best pg H-town got since SF3, I am not foresee any reason to trade him away unless Boston Celtics want to take Asik and get rid of Rondo.

Lin haters need to sit down and watch some Rockets game with their own eyes.

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I know I did... but I'll assume you are being sarcastic. Explain why you had to inform us that he comes of the bench?