1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA.com] Sam Smith suggests an Asik-for-Rondo trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Contingent, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Rondo=can't shoot. Why the hell we want him. Plus he needs the ball in his hand and that's just not compatible w/ Harden.

2. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

Rondo is one of the most overrated players in the league. He is going to struggle when he comes back to the C's with no superstars to play alongside, and then he's going to have some underwhelming years on whatever team the C's trick into trading for him.

1 person likes this.
  3. muas2010

muas2010 Member

That's the reason you get a bonafide 4 that can score and defend. A good stretch 4 with help both sides. Sorry...you need a Lebron not a CP3 to win championships.

4. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

So who is this stretch 4 that plays D? Cause I can't think of one that would be available.

5. HTM

HTM Member

Asik for Rondo is horrible..... LMA or another quality 4 please..

6. bballjunkie281

Wow, people who are saying they don't want Rondo are on some pretty strong stuff. Putting aside the fact that the Celts would never do this trade, if you are offered an all star PG, who has been on multiple all-NBA defensive teams, and is arguably the top playoff performer for his position in the last four years, in return for a player that has absolutely no role on this team, you take it and run.

Sure, there might be some fit issues with Harden, but Harden is a big boy. He knows how to play off the ball and he will be plenty happy when Rondo gets him a bunch of open 3s each game, not to mention there will finally be someone on this team who can throw a lob to Dwight.

1 person likes this.
  7. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

being able to lob the ball to dwight is just a matter of time and experience... lakers last year took half a season before everyone figured out how to lob the ball to dwight... its not that easy as people here make it out to be... first you need to figure out how high dwight can jump, his positioning, can he jump higher than the defender etc... 2nd there has to be some set plays for this... etc... 3rd Harden needs to move the ball more...

yesterday without harden, we got a team season high 30+ assists, harden cameback and went down to 14... that is quite significant....

8. rayfantastic

rayfantastic Member

Rondo's ast numbers are greatly inflated. If you want enough of his games, you'll realize for some reason, as long as he's touched the ball in a possession, he's awarded an assist. I remember once he had a 22-assist game, and I watched the highlights on nba.com, and half of them were like he passed the ball of pierce or kg and they iso-ed and made the shots.

9. Oracle

Oracle Member

I can't understand what Rondo could bring to Houston that would make the team better. I also don't like his character at all. He can really break a team chemistry in no time.

1 person likes this.
  10. cml750

cml750 Member

Rondo is not the answer. A PG who can't shoot will not help us. Not to mention, a PG who shoots less than 70% from the foul line????? We already have one bad FT shooter on the team. Besides, getting the ball to Howard is not the problem, it's more that he is just a really bad offensive player.

11. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Jason Friedman and other journalists really love and respect this douche....and yes I'm being sarcastic

12. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

We already have one of the best PGs in the game... James Harden.

13. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

boston will laugh at this trade proposal.... outside of houston, hands down asik is not anywhere near rondo's level. Unless rondo can never fully recover from his injury.

14. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

If it was just that, it would be hard to refuse, as Rondo is much better as a player.

That said, we'd have to give up more in reality, and it would just move us from a C logjam to a PG logjam.

15. boiler

boiler Member

Well Celtics could use a PG if they're going to trade way their starting PG, so throw in Lin to sweeten the deal?:grin:

16. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

I wouldn't mind getting Rondo but I would want Bass thrown in as well. Don't know how the salaries would match up but Bass would be a good fit. He is a stretch 4, that's for sure.

17. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

I have a lot of respect for Rondo's game, but there are four issues I can think of off the top of my head why I doubt this deal happens:

1. How Is The Knee? -- Rondo is coming off ACL surgery that took place about 9 months ago, I think. Unless he's Adrian Peterson, I doubt we will be seeing the "old" Rondo anytime soon. The examples of Derrick Rose and Robert Griffin III give me pause that vintage Rondo will show up this season.

2. General Health Concerns -- Of the previous three seasons, I believe that Rondo has played in only about 64% of the regular season games. Meaning, his body seems to be breaking down a bit, for whatever reason. I don't know if this is just a "tough breaks" part of his career that will work itself out, or if there is some kind of physical decline going on for him. The knee injury doesn't give me more confidence about this issue.

3. Rondo Can't Shoot -- Because of this, he doesn't seem like someone who would fit the current Rockets-style offense. Of course, tweaks could be made to the offense if Rondo were acquired, but I'm not sure that the ideal point guard to play alongside Dwight Howard is someone who is a career 24% three-point shooter.

4. Rondo May Be A "Malcontent" -- Most people know the stories about Rondo/Ray Allen and Rondo/Doc Rivers. I have a difficult time seeing Rondo and McHale getting along together well, and I'm not sure that the team would benefit from another "strong personality" on the roster at this time.

Rondo has been an incredible player in his NBA career. My guess is, though, we won't be seeing him anytime soon in a Rockets uniform. But, you never know.

18. Zergling

Zergling Member

Rondo would be a pretty bad ass upgrade over Beverley as the starting PG. It's not even debatable.

I would make a trade for Rondo as long as Howard, Harden, and Lin aren't involved. Everyone else can be used as an asset to improve the roster. Considering how well Lin is playing, I'm not sure why the tanking Celtics would be interested in a player that could derail their hopes to get a top pick. If they acquired Lin, "Linsanity" would truly revive which is bad news for them.

The big issue with the trade obviously is losing a true backup center. Greg Smith in limited time has played well, and Morey could bring back Tim Ohlbrecht. Don't forget that Marcus Camby will be back with the Rockets once he gets healthy. I know it was one game but we had TJones and DMo playing C/PF today against the Nuggets and we didn't lose a beat.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

can't spread the floor for dwight, can't make free throws like dwight. not a good fit for dwight.

needs the ball in his hands to be successful like harden and lin. not a good fit with harden or our 6th man of the year candidate.

that being said. yes i'd make the trade. rondo is worth a whole lot more than asik and we could always move him for a piece that fits. send him to sacto for an unprotected 2014 first round pick. they're sure to miss the playoffs and rondo/cousins will end up punching each other so its not like they'll win many games either. we'll be sure to get a great pick out of it and that pick will be an all star in 4 years when dwight starts to show his age. its perfect timing.

or just keep him and have the 3 stars figure it out. they are great players, and great players rind a way to win games against less talented teams no matter the fit.

all that being said, boston won't go for it. they need more than asik for their franchise player. asik and multiple picks get it done. at least then ainge can say he was stockpiling picks... and then maybe even move asik for more picks later.

20. caneks

caneks Rookie

This is one of the most stupid idea on trading asik.