1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin 50-40-90 club watch

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeAleck, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Xfinity

Xfinity Member

It's nice to have goal, but I would be stun if Lin can come close to those numbers. Those kind of numbers are MVP type.

2. JBar

JBar Rookie

I understand why the 50-40-90 club has become the measure of a great shooter, but ultimately it doesn't mean as much as the single figure of true shooting percentage. That's the true measure of how many points you get per shot attempt (including trips to the line when you are fouled).

Lin isn't close to being a member of the club right now because his FT% is only .807, but his TS% is (a totally unsustainable) .671 right now, meaning he gets 1.342 points per shot attempt. In comparison Bird has a lifetime TS% of .564 and his best season ever was .612. One reason that Lin has such a high TS% now is that he has better distribution of his shots than Bird: Lin gets to the line more and takes more threes. Bird took too many mid range jumpers. If your FT% is 80% you get 1.6 points per shot attempt that brings you to the line, whereas if you hit mid range jumpers at 55%, you only get 1.1 points per shot attempt when you take one of those.

I saw an interview with Bird recently when he criticized players for practicing their threes too much, and not spending enough time practicing their mid-range jump shots. But today's players are doing that because that's what advanced metrics (and "advanced" is probably too strong a word here) is telling them, or their coaches, to do. Bird would have helped the Celtics more by taking more threes and attacking the rim more when he was able to.

3. Akim523

Akim523 Member

46/38/80 with a healthy 58 TS%.

Still pretty damn good.

4. Lihao

Lihao Member

you don't have to argue with Gil, basically he think Lin 80$ is terrible , Harden 85% is great

5. ParsonsBoy

ParsonsBoy Member

This is not happening. Lin will probably be around 46%FG - 42%3FG - 80-85% FT.

His shooting % is bound to go down. Its way to early to speculate this. 3-4 horrible shooting games will blow these percentages down.

But if he can do it, it will be amazing. This was one of the upsides of signing Lin because he is proven to work on his deficiencies and is still growing as a player.

6. Lihao

Lihao Member

From Eremy Lin to 50/40/90 club discussion, where's the dude who came up with that J thing, come on , at least give some credit to Lin when he deserve it. (i'm looking at you Tinman) :grin:

7. pentajigga

pentajigga Member

It would be great if he can do:
    48 FG%
    44 3pt%
    83 FT%
    5.5 assists.
    2 steals.
    3 TOs

That would be a sick year, and more important, a huge show of progression from a young player in the first full summer of healthy work-outs once at the NBA-level. If this is the kind of improvement that he can make, it shows a real commitment to becoming a better player, and bodes very well for his progression in the next few years.

Let's not forget that there are so many little things to become better at as an NBA player, that the guys that both have the capacity to improve (upside, skills stuff, IQ) and the discipline to do the work can make huge strides -- especially in their first 5-7 years in the league, and especially before they are 30. the one factor that needs to be in place is health -- injuries can cause major regression, and limit training.

8. C. Orientalis

C. Orientalis Member

50-40-80 would be amazing

9. awc713

awc713 Member

wonder how many times curry will achieve this before he's done. i think nash did it twice?

10. roxxy

roxxy Member

For the amount of money we are paying him that would be fantastic.

11. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

Don't put too much pressure on a bench player.

12. TTNN

TTNN Member

yeah, especially by the way Jeremy got his FTs, I don't think he will reach that 90%, he usually got wracked before he go to the line. I don't think he practice that way.....

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is what people do, they create unrealistic expectations.

I'll be happy with 47% / 40% / 80%

Don't think JLin will finish at 50% overall shooting.

14. yummyhawtsauce

lol clutch would explode if he sustained 50%. 40% is do-able.

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

End of season guess is 46.1/39.3/79.4 and that is nothing to complain about.

16. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I'll take 49-39-89 club or 51-39-90 or whatever. IMO, who cares - just keep up the percentages as high as you can and to hell with the club. :rolleyes:

It's about winning, not stats.

1 person likes this.
  17. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

looks like Lin is starting to win the hearts over some old timers in CF, the age of LOH vs LOF might be over if Lin can sustain his performance. I also think the coaching staffs and teammates are trusting him more now. This is a good sign for the team and it helps Lin with his confidence.

18. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

why you no predict games for the us no more!

:p

19. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Before the most recent game I would have said no chance at all. In the past he has never done particularly well in back to back games, and we have a lot of them to drag his percentages down.

But with his back to back performance so far 50%/40% seems possible. Don't know if it will happen, but at this point it is not an unreasonable possibility.

20. munsteur

munsteur Member

I think this is why so many people follow Lin. He is full of surprises. I hope there are lots more to come.