1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deal Is Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bag0b0y, Apr 19, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Sane

Sane Member

As a fan, I hope they let Rudy go. As a person, I feel bad for him.

I don't want Rudy to deal with the stress of coaching, and I don't want the team to always have to think about Rudy's condition. It's a distraction.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Didn't oeilpere - and for a while also Doc Rocket until he changed his stance - say also we would not draft Ming? As long as a decision is not final and as long as they are not Les Alexander, they might know as many people in the organization as they want, but they'd still be speculating as well. Maybe based on a bit better "inside info", but it's still speculation.

3. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

That's really big of you. If the Mavs felt the same they'd maybe have Donnie coaching.

If society in general felt the same maybe we could just eliminate all cancer victims (healthy, cured or not) from their jobs and tell them we know they may be cured, but it's still a distraction to anyone else who might have the awkward fortune of working with them, and anyway it's okay since we feel bad for them "as a person."

If Rudy gets fired on the merits, OKAY. Advocating firing him BECAUSE he has cancer is disgusting.

4. Sane

Sane Member

I don't think it's disgusting. If a co-worker has cancer and can produce at the same level, then there's no problem keeping him.

But Rudy is attached to these players, and seeing him everyday in his condition is horrible for the team.

Are you telling me that EVEN if it affects the Rockets' performance (despite keeping the same level of coaching) you'd want him to stay?

I'm sorry, but Rudy wasn't that good a coach this year anyway, and before he was diagnosed, MANY MANY MANY people were calling for a new coach. This is just an unfortunate matter we have to deal with, and Les being the business man that he is, will definitely think organization before Rudy.

5. Batman Jones

Sorry, Sane. I didn't mean it personally. I think a lot of people think Rudy should go based on the merits. I'm on the fence myself. But saying he should go because his illness is a distraction is a pretty radical take. Personally I think it's beyond the pale. And I think most people would agree. Plus, there are so many arguable reasons to fire him other than his cancer. Also plus, I think if they did it for that reason they could have some serious legal troubles (in addition to the serious PR troubles).

If they fire Rudy, it will be in spite of his cancer -- not because of it. Clever thinking outside the box, but you come off more mean than smart in this situation.

6. BigRay

BigRay Member

WHO DO WASHINGTON HAVE THAT WE WANT!!!!!WASHINGTON

7. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

You know, "not bad" doesn't necessarily mean that it's the "Rudy T is out the door" part of the original post that's on the money.

2 out of 3 (Cat and Eddie to be traded) ain't bad ...

8. TheRanger

TheRanger Member

I am curious enough to dig deeper to see if that which we are reading here is from a new credible outlet. It is really not unlike what Clutch informed us in a previous message. Is this user recycling what was told to us before or is it a second independent source backing it? No insults intended to be directed at any one here but I would wager on the former.

In the scenario where we do indeed pull the trigger and move Cuttino Mobley, it is my hope that we do so in order to solidify either of the powerforward or pointguard slots.

9. robbieg

robbieg Member

Your right .The rockets dont want anyone from the wizards. The rockets like to lose and miss the playoffs. Just like you.

brown>griffin
    dixon>moochie
    lue>moochie

10. Sane

Sane Member

Batman Jones,

I understand where you're coming from. But really, I'm not ready to endure another non-playoff season because of Rudy's condition. If there is any doubt about his illness, I'm sure the organization will make the right decision and come to an understanding with Rudy.

Let's face it. We were one game out of the playoffs. What if we're one game out next year and Rudy misses a few games?

We need to deal with it. If Rudy is not fully healthy, then he is not fullfilling his contract because he'll be unable to perform to his potential. Either way, he's not a great coach for this team. So i think the best decision is for Rudy to resign. No matter the situation (cancer or no cancer), Les won't fire Rudy. it will be a resignation.

11. Batman Jones

That's cool, Sane. I don't really have a beef with anyone saying we need a new coach. I'm very on the fence about Rudy myself. I saw flashes this last season of what the Rockets could and should be, and for a while I had a new appreciation of Rudy. But I saw even more of them abandoning the game plan and going unpunished for it. I posted in another thread that I ran into Jim Boylen recently and he said the doctors had told Rudy there was a 90% chance he'd never have a problem with the bladder cancer again after he completed the treatments, so I don't think that'll be an issue next year. If Les is gonna fire him for underperforming, okay. I just think it's especially cold to fire him for having cancer.

12. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

kwame sucks. he gets less points, and less rebounds in the same amount of work. hes got hands the size of minidiscs.

13. blacksteel69

blacksteel69 Member

"uh....like put th' pipe down dude...it's like harmful n stuff"

14. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Brown is not better than Griffin!

15. wowming

wowming Member

Maybe Doc was just saying that the attempts at speaking in riddle, Shady etc, were "not bad...". If not, I think "not bad...' can mean a lot of things. Doc Rocket is like Nostradamus. His posts are not as easy as "not bad..." to confirm a rumour. We are all missing something...
    but wait, there is another...

16. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

i am pretty new to this board. may i ask who is doc rockets? im getting confused, whether he is an insider, a poster, or works for fox 26??thanks

17. wowming

wowming Member

Nobody knows who he is, but around here, he, and oilepere, are golden.

18. Badgerfox

Badgerfox Member

This is what I heard: The Rockets are trying to swing a deal with the league where they can draft Diana Taurasi and will automatically start a breeding program where she will procreate with stevie franchise and the Rockets will have exclusive rights to their progeny. That is like having the first pick in the 2021 draft!;)

19. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Ah yes, because the team chemistry is sooo good right now...

:rolleyes:

20. austinrocket

austinrocket Member

I believe thath my anus is rather sore from the pounding I just received.