1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did McHale ever say what the deal with Asik was?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Nov 14, 2013.

1. bmd

bmd Member

In the post game press conference or anything?

Anybody know for sure?

2. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

He didn't show any hustle during his limited minutes and he was a -8 I think,dude clearly wants out.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If there was illness or injury, I think there would be commentary about it either in the postgame or in the paper's write-up. That there's nothing said implies to me he was benched for dogging it. I'd be surprised if he's dropped from the rotation just like that though. We'll see what happens to his minutes in NYC.

4. Yellow

Yellow Member

I thought it was match-up wise and the fact that McHale wanted to go smaller?

5. quatin

quatin Member

This is what the Rockets annoucers speculated. However, it wasn't 100% confirmed.

McHale does have a history of inventing line ups on the fly to try and match the other team. He needs to impose his style of game play, instead of trying to catch up to the other teams.

6. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

why howard still in?

I don't know how many posters on this board have the same view on howard's team defense as mine. I think asik has better team defense than howard.

7. quatin

quatin Member

I'm going to pretend to be McHale for a second.

Howard in the game can punish the other team on offense for going small. Asik in the game will only be a liability on defense.

That's still no reason to just give up on Asik though. Let him post up a few times. Try and get the offensive boards. At least try to slow the game down instead of giving up and going to small ball to match.

8. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

What's the deal with <strike> airline food </strike> Omer Asik?

9. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

Kind of weird that Asik wasnt in the game when Howard was sitting. He couldve set some screens when we struggled on offense. He screens much better than any one else on the team.

10. Bill Worrell

Bill Worrell Member

Trades Asik already no use having 2 BIG guys that stuff the lane and get fouled on the other end an miss their free throws, Let jones continue to grow and Trade ( Long shot trade) Asik, Brooks, Brewer for Jeff Green and Draft pick or somtihng... just trade him.

11. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i hope someone can come up data to see how his offense contribution is divided. i wonder what scoring % is from posting him and how many pts were made through not posting him.

the good thing about asik is he knows what he can do and can't do. it's reason he focuses on defense and on offense rebound.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't get this idea that a coach shouldn't react to what the other team is doing. That's just stubbornness.

The TT style of game play has generally sucked. It is clearly a lineup that would only work for particular matchups.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He probably did. I just couldn't understand his run-off talk.

14. chandlerbang21

Philly played small ball and everyone was to quick for asik to guard so he got on PT. Thread done

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I had a dream we traded Asik for Lowry. Lowry was upset.

16. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Philly doesn't have any big men outside of the pseudo big man in Hawes so Asik would be ineffective because he doesn't command double teams in the post like Howard. But the writing is on the wall. Asik is going to be trade, especially if T Jones keeps plays so well and could spot some center minutes when we go extra small. If we trade Asik though I would like to get a for sure backup center, along with another piece. We need to keep our size for bigger teams.

17. leslie

leslie Member

I didn't pay attention to their lineup during the game, but if Hawes played the center position, all 5 players of the other team could shoot from beyond the arc.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

NYC is a pretty horrible match-up for Asik. They don't really even play a real center. Even under normal circumstances, we might not expect him to have major minutes.

Maybe McHale actually chose this back-to-back to let Jones keep getting some burn, because Asik wouldn't get much anyhow.

Lowry is a cancer in your dreams!

19. moose

moose Member

Obviously guys, he played 4 minutes and demanded a trade from the bench. That is why we did not see him in the game when Howard was out too.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I wonder how Kyle Lowry would work on this team. On one hand, he could be the "Bob Sura" personality that this team can use-- a tough guy who would just take charge when needed. On the other hand, he might tell Dwight and Harden to go **** themselves.

Would love to see him on a better team, though. He is rather underused on that Raptors team when all they do is run isos for Gay and DeRozan a million times a game.