1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden: Defensive Potential

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by omgTHEpotential, Nov 11, 2013.

1. nono

nono Member

He's had a few nice blocks in the last couple of games.

2. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I dunno. Last year when I saw signs of his lack of effort, I excused it with "He's having to do too much and getting frustrated." Now when I see him out there not trying, it's giving me "Tmac in Toronto" flashbacks. It's like, when he knows he's not being called as the focal point of a play, he sits 5 feet behind the line, just watching. Maybe it's being dinged up that's causing it. I hope so, but it looks like laziness and contempt at times. I'm concerned that with all the talent he has, his attitude isn't in the right place, for whatever reason. I really hope I'm wrong, it's hard to judge such things on the fly, and not knowing his condition exactly.

3. l4z4rd

l4z4rd Member

this.

4. Mr Exlax

Mr Exlax Member

Defense is like 20% skill and 80% effort though. Any player in the NBA could be good at defense. They just have to try. They have to want to play defense. Last season I gave him a pass because he had to carry the offense. This season it seems like it spread to everybody. Just the total disregard for defense. The way nobody even attempts to close out on a shooter. We just stand there looking. It's more than just Harden.

5. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

He showed good effort in the preseason and the first few wins we had. I'll chalk his current difficulties to his injuries.

You guys need to get a life so you don't hate on our players so early in the season.

6. Mr Exlax

Mr Exlax Member

The scary thing is that I don't think defensive effort can be taught. Especially if our coach doesn't hold players accountable.

7. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

laziness is a hard trait to overcome

8. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

yep i kinda miss JVG's old school approach

9. hamsession

hamsession Member

Playing lockdown defense requires focus and concentration. I really think Harden has a mild case of ADD.

10. langal

langal Contributing Member

Harden can be become a very good defender. That is what is frustrating. I hope it's the bone bruise in his foot which is giving him problems (NOT that I wish he was injured..lol).

He just needs to prioritize defense more. And stop with the 4th quarter ISO.

Very fixable problems and all will be happy.

Dwight's free throws and "unrefined" post game are an entirely different matter...but that is a whole other topic.

11. torocan

torocan Member

I would buy that argument if it was just being slow to close or unable to keep up with the guys he's guarding.

Being on the opposite side of the court or not even being aware that someone is back cutting on him has nothing to do with injury. It's ball watching, pure and simple.

12. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Harden looks like a tank. I doubt he has the speed to be elite, particularly going lateral. Harden needs to slim down some.

13. CONAN 888

CONAN 888 Rookie

He has the ability its all about effort and mindset. I don't agree that he lack agility. Thats and oxymoron. He has on of the best 2 steps in the world and goes in and gets contact to get to the freethrow line.
    He ain't afraid and puts 1000% to shoot the **** out of the basketball. But when we all watch his lack of D its like he doesn't even try.

14. DocRock

DocRock Member

The current crop of shooting guards is so light, he could definitely be solid for his position if he put in the effort.

Its not like the stretch 10-15 years ago when he would've have to guard young Wade, prime Kobe, Vince, A.I., Ray, Joe Johnson, Ginobili, Michael Redd, Mike Finley etc. He's guarding 3&D guys, bricklaying heat check 6th men, and guys in their 30s.

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Haren right now is a poor man's Kevin Martin on the defensive end. He has the potential to be average at best but he is too lazy and doesn't put in the work on the defensive end

16. rserina

rserina Member

Harden was pretty solid at times for the Thunder when he wasn't relied on so much offensively. I remember them using him on Kobe Bryant for extended stretches in that series two years ago and he was great. For most players without superhuman physical gifts like Jordan (who had Pippen to help) or Lebron James, it is just too hard to shoulder the burden offensively every trip down the court and still play at a high level defensively, especially during the long regular season. We've seen that with Bryant over the years, Paul at times, countless others I am sure.

17. Linobili

Linobili Rookie

you can't find D in Harden with bloodhounds and a posse

18. Apache

Apache Member

it's kinda weird he can do the euro skip dance happy feet on offense but he can't euro skip dance on defense.

I wonder what the coaches say when they look at film.

19. Apache

Apache Member

I say games where kevin martin play defensde better than haren

20. Apache

Apache Member

I doubt it he'll be a good defender or decent.