1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Power Forwards Are On Teams That Want Asik?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MarioKissoDeath, Jul 6, 2013.

1. leslie

leslie Member

I remember last season someone has posted some statistics about his (and other good power forwards') shot attempts; it turned out that a significantly large fraction of his shots was created by himself instead of setting up by his teammates. In our offensive system, he would not have to carry a big offensive load on nightly basis, and his efficiency should go up simply by being a second scoring option (i.e., not forcing shots nor being the focus of the other team's defense). It remains unclear how well he can adjust his game, but he does have the skills to hit an open jump shot and score off pick-and-pop. Also, he may be able to extend his range beyond the arc (ex: PPat did it last season).

2. Gday

Gday Member

Lin for Illyasova would be a good deal IMO. Keep Asik & trade Dmo/Smith &/or Jones for a Billups type player.

3. prs325

prs325 Member

Isnt Larry Sanders in the doghouse?

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Is there any way can get Nene from Washington? He could play Asik's role better than Asik does (he can hit the mid range jumper).

5. Zalgiris

Zalgiris Member

I say it is stupid to search PFs in other teams when we haven't explored our all PF options on the bench.

6. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Asik + Lin for Dirk?

7. Panda23

Panda23 Member

let me guess.... DMO!?

8. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

All because you don't like a certain player (LMA) doesn't mean he is grossly overvalued. Dude is a baller and one of the best power forwards in the game today. LOL @ grossly overvalued..What that suppose to mean?

9. Play07

Play07 Member

trading asik will be one of the smartest but dumbest moves morey can make.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Morey has sort of implied on the radio that wasn't true.

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

He's injured.

(dramatic pause)

Again.

Given how much money Morey was going to waste---er, spend---on Nenê, as well as trade for Pau, and looking at our current roster, I'm wondering if that's what McHale and Morey think they want: two bigs and a bunch of smalls, so to speak.

But the ship has sailed on our Brazilian buddy, rapaz. Esqueça isso, sacou? Nem pense.

At the game Saturday, I could really see why Morey and McHale have such an attachment to Asik. His defense doesn't always show up on a stats sheet, but he really thwarts players at the rim.

It is a shame that there wasn't a big-time power forward available this past summer, but so it goes. Nothing against Dwight. I'm sure Morey knows what must be done, but it'll take awhile, and we're in for a lot of pain (more losses than we expected when we signed Dwight) in the meantime.

#171 ROXTXIA, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Asik, TJones and McHale for Dirk and Carlisle

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Does Amir Johnson fit the bill? I think he is solid

14. Play07

Play07 Member

thanks for the reply VET and I’m going to the game today, hope we can get a W.

Kind of like if you had faithful good girl at home that cooks & clean, your family likes her, takes care of home never complains, pretty but not the best looking but doesnt expect much from you.

Then you leave her for the hot blonde with a nice body, pretty face that likes to go out and eat, dont like to get dirty so she doesnt cook & clean as much, likes the finer things in life so you spend most of your paycheck on her.

Yes you are satisfied at first, but you start to think later on down the line what life would have been like with the good girl & more money in your pocket to spend on other things.

which in this case is $22,000,000 a year

15. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

The meeting wasn't true or he wasn't interested in Josh?

If Morey wasn't interested, why would he waste everyone's time in LA? It doesn't make any sense, especially if you consider Josh's FA status at the time of the meeting.

Edit. I think you meant AFTER we signed Dwight? Yes, if that is the case. Before FA, I already predicted Josh was Option 2, not Option 1B. If option 1A Dwight and/or option 1B CP3 didn't sign with us, Morey would likely sign Josh instead.

After we signed Dwight, many people thought Morey would sign Josh too but knowing Morey, I posted that he would lose all flexibility if he did that and not likely to happen.

#175 kuku, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  16. omgTHEpotential

Toronto doesn't need Asik though. Valanciunas is their future center. They don't need Omer with such a ludicrous contract.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Well my premise #1 is that at some point, Asik has to be traded. Even if the twin towers combo gets better, I think it is mostly clear that it will never be dominant in the way you need it to be to take up that roster space and salary on this team. I can see why a Bulls team might want a Noah-Asik combo. It fits their squad better - though I'd still argue not the best use of cap space (which is why the Bulls passed the first time).

In a straight-up trade with the Bucks for Ersan, using Lin to do so is fine with me. But I think you have to move Asik still... for something. At that point, probably a PG... but something. I'd be on board with the following combo for example; #1 Lin package for Ilyasova. #2 Asik for Goran Dragic.

With regard to Ilyasova himself... I just think the dude is underrated. He's on his 3rd year of 18+ PER and TS% north of 55%. His shot chart is crazy efficient. He seems like the right pairing next to Dwight. Not a go-to player... but again, are any of those really available? I guess DM might also think negatively of Ersan's guaranteed money in 2015/2016 (when at this point the only other guaranteed money is really Dwight and James)... but it's not like he's overpaid at $7.9 million a year.

I think Morey is going to wait for that go-to player. But his asset pile has dwindled, and short of said player simply forcing a trade to Houston (or sign and trade... which can't technically be forced), we'd have to get even luckier than we did when Harden got traded to us. All while Asik's value continues to diminish...

18. rogower

rogower Member

Good post. I agree with many of your arguments. I have believed for a while now that Houston should trade J. Lin (plus filler) for E. Ilyasova (my god, the PG situation in Milwaukee is horrible!) And to simultaneously trade O. Asik to basically the highest bidder, preferably a first or second year guard who is likely to replace Lin s production (at a fraction of the cost) and a good veteran backup C whose contract is reasonable. Portland can offer this exact package, interestingly: C.J. McCollom and Robin Lopez.

A lot of folks on Clutchfans fail to recognize that teams are not lining up to trade away All-Stars for a role player who will get paid $15 mil in 2014-15. Which is how much Lin gets paid next season, and also how much Asik gets paid next season. That is so much money! If Morey can get Ilyasova, McCollom (who I really like), and Lopez for Asik and Lin plus filler (sorry, but that's all Motiejunas is at this point), most Rockets fans will be disappointed but I will be impressed.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Morey was on 790 and was asked about Josh Smith. Lance said he was surprised they were interested because it wasn't his type of player. Morey responded by saying something like "can't talk about specific players, but most of what you hear in free agency is made up by agents or other teams leaking things to the media."

20. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

The thing that I don't like about trading Asik is we are back in the predicament we were in last year. We won't have any interior defensive presence once Dwight is sitting.

That's why I'm reluctant to trade him for anything less than someone really worthwhile.

1 person likes this.