1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HOLY CRAP. Check out this dunk.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by bmd, Nov 7, 2013.

1. likestohypeguy

Yeah there was a little push, but so what that was still INCREDIBLE. Just looked insane, his trajectory, like he came off a trampoline.

But I know we have to focus in on minutia with stuff like this, just for argument's sake.

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

You cant say? HAHA

Sorry but find me one human being at 6'8 that can get his head that high above the rim. Use common sense. Don't argue just to argue.

If he could legit jump that high. He would have won the Olympics recently. GTFO. LOL

3. tmacfor35

I'm more impressed with the kid who he pushed off of, was able to jump so high with someone's body weight riding his back.

That was what you call a double jump without a trampoline. Two verticals in to one.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

No, did already has the ball when the guy closer jumps into his butt.

I seriously don't understand how you think jumping with your shoulder into someone's butt can knock someone a foot higher, anyhow.

You are making waaaaay too much out of that. A foot boost is ridiculous.

And, also, do you understand perception. The photographer is below the rim, so the player's head will look higher than the rim vs if the photographer was at rim height.

5. tmacfor35

You are ignorant if you think he actually did not get a boost. Ignorant I tell you!!!!!

6. heypartner

Doesn't look like the camera is at rim level. So, the head will look higher above the rim that it really is.

7. tmacfor35

Doesn't look. I can see just fine. He is way above the rim. It's not perception. The kid can jump. But he got an extra foot at least.

8. heypartner

And he planned for that foot, 'eh. r i g h t

No one wants to respond to this point of mine. The kid clearly got the ball at his peak. If he got a foot boost, then he completely misjudged the ball (he would have completely missed it), or he actually planned to get a foot boost.

it's highly doubtful he planned for a boost...and it's doubtful he misjudged his jump by a foot.

9. tmacfor35

I see what your saying, but in the other forum, someone posted this vid. I thought the most impressive part was the fact that he caught the ball. It was going straight down though, and he was going straight up. The boost makes it difficult, but this kid would have youtube dunk videos out all over the place, along with scholarship offers from every d1 school on athletic ability alone. Count me out on him being that athletic.

10. aboinamedray

aboinamedray Contributing Member

Boosting effect seen here on a DREAM putback @ 1:51 (i always lol when i watch this play because of how ridiculous it looks. he's so high that his arm is super awkward trying to dunk that ball)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CfXIRsyM-gk#t=01m51s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. heypartner

Kids who go the JUCO route usually don't have the grades for D1.

That said, he is getting offers nonetheless, to some schools who have had very athletic players attend in the past:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/javonte-douglas--2

• Southern Miss
    • Middle Tennessee
    • Old Dominion
    • Rhode Island
    • UCF

12. bmd

bmd Member

He got lucky. He started his jump right when the ball hit the rim.

It's not like he waited to see the ball bounce off the rim and then timed his jump so that he catches the ball at it's peak.

He caught the ball as the ball was on it's way down. He just got lucky that the timing actually ended up working out because he was so high in the air.

13. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

it's not physically possible to jump that high man, but nice dunk and luck

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That kid has hop. I don't see him using the other players as leverage. The opposing player and his teammate jumped up after he was already dunking the ball.

But I cringed. It's a dangerous play. He could easily get undercut (unintentionally) and hit the floor head first.

15. brooksstephens

I can tell the dunker got a boost from the defender because Physics.

You know how in the video game Super Smash Brothers you can press the jump button a second time while you are already in the air in order to get more altitude? It turns out, you can't actually do that in real life.

Really nice dunk and great play/timing off a rebound, but he got a little help.

16. heypartner

wow....he totally DID NOT start his jump when the ball hit the rim. Ball was clearly above the backboard when he left the ground.

What are you looking at?

Difference between you and me is I think he only got barely above the rim with his head, because of the camera angle, which makes it a doable 42"-ish verticle. You and others think he's one foot above the rim. I don't think so.

#36 heypartner, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  17. bmd

bmd Member

1. He started his hop-step to jump right after the ball hit the rim.

It wasn't good timing. Notice how EVERYBODY else WAITS for the ball and THEN start jumping way after him. He had no idea where that ball was going when he started his jump.

2. The guy with the camera is clearly in the stands. He's not even on the floor. So your camera angle theory is wrong.

But, even ignoring that, just look at his hand in relation to his head when he puts the ball in:

[​IMG]

His hand is even with his head when he puts it in. And he was dunking it on the way down. He was higher than that before he dunked it.

18. tmacfor35

Not to derail this thread, but is #4 goaltending? LOL, I have always wondered.

19. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

i tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, follow his path as he rises. he gets a boost just as his head is reaching the rim. you dont have to even watch anything else. just watch his path as he rises his speed changes in mid air as hes still rising.. other dude gave hima boost as he jumped which put him over the top..

20. James88

James88 Member

There was no boost, no camera angle effect, it's just likely that he has a 60 to 72 inch vertical. Expect 1 million more dunks like on every fastbreak, putback, and cut to the hoop from this guy.