1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden is playing too many minutes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by quatin, Nov 5, 2013.

1. quatin

quatin Member

We all saw what happened last season when Harden gets ridden too hard. He starts saving his energy and his defense suffers. His minutes so far has been the same from last season. In fact, it's a little higher, because he was benched early in the Clippers game. With the acquisition of Howard, we can afford to cut into Hardens minutes and let him close out games.

I know other super stars play some 38 minutes per game, but Harden has noticeable fatigue issues when he played so much last season. I'm surprised McHale hasn't changed anything.

1 person likes this.
  2. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I thought his minutes were spread out very well tonight

3. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

This team has been hit with some unfortunate injuries to key players to start the season, so Harden has to play more minutes to make up for it. Harden should get more rest when Beverley gets healthy.

4. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Played 40 or so minutes tonight (38 when I checked making an estimate)

That's something you don't want. He's been playing heavy minutes

5. TheGM

TheGM Contributing Member

He's 24. He can handle it fine. We've also had injuries to Casspi and Beverly, which required him to play more than he typically will.

6. Rockets25

Rockets25 Member

No reason for McHale to bring the starters back in with 10 minutes to go in the 4th. The unit that was out there was doing fine. There will be nights when we need Dwight and Harden to play the whole 4th to win us the game but this wasn't one of them.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

I think right now it's fine. The Rockets are in too many close games and too much high leverage minutes where he's needed. And Beverley being out didn't help since Lin was suppose to be the backup SG at times.

I don't think his minutes need managing assuming we blow away our share of teams. He can rest during those blowouts.

8. Lateralus

Lateralus Member

Maybe if there was more cushion. But really couldn't rely on parsons/Casspi/or garcia this game really. Shots were not fallin.

9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

38 minutes a night is pretty standard for a top 5 NBA player. He isn't Tim Duncan, he's only 24.

10. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Part of it may have to do with Parson's ineffectiveness. And Casspi played well but missed a lot of 3's.

11. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I would like Harden to average 36 a night. He is young and it's the start of the season. I expect once we get our rhythm he will start playing less. And this year he doesn't have to set up the offense as much as last year with Jeremy and Bev playing so well, so it's not as tasking. He will be fine.

12. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Maybe he's just rusty, he looks a little slow sometimes. I agree with OP, he needs some rest, less responsibilities offensively and more energy on the defensive end.

13. muas2010

muas2010 Member

The very reason Tim Duncan is still playing at his age....minimal wear and tear. But, if I were a coach I would ride my best player as much as I can too....it's not my health I'm worried about.

14. Reach

Reach Member

D-Wade played a similar amount of minutes during his first championship season. Harden will be fine.

15. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

It's ok. We want to push him up to superstar No1 SG level hype.

16. bongman

bongman Member

I have high hopes that once we figure out what the normal lineup will look like, that is when we will see big improvements on defense for both our starters and bench play. If the bench can constistently maintain the lead or increase it, we should see his minutes go down.

17. BallWiz

BallWiz Member

That's called a leader role.

18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Tim Duncan averaged no less than 38.7 min/game his first 6 years in the league. Only when he was 27 did his minutes drop down to around 34-36. He was over 40mpg for a year!

19. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Two very different players (in terms of position and playing style)....so those minutes will take more toll on a player/position like Harden's.

20. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Our offense needs Harden out there. He'll play heavy minutes all season.