1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin says he's OK with being Rockets' 6th Man

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Play07, Oct 28, 2013.

1. errpac

errpac Member

Glad to have both Rockets PG

I'm really happy and excited that we have two fairly good PGs that can start for our team. Now neither are elite PGs yet, however they both have different skill sets that can be extremely useful to the team. I'm a fan of Lin and I think if it works good, then him being the 6th man is perfectly great, and can help the second unit be extremely dangerous. Bev is definitely a better defender then Lin though I think Lin defense is not bad as some LOH proclaim. He still gets a decent amount of steals, but Bev is still a better option in defending a lot of the starting PGs in the league. Neither PG is going to stop Rose, Lillard, Cp3, and the other elites, but Bev will make it more difficult for them then Lin. While Lin can outscore them even as a 6th man.
    I'm glad we don't have the problem like the Lakers though they aren't admitting it. Lakers are way over hyping Farmar, and expect him to be their starting PG. I have no doubt that both Lin and Bev are better then Farmar. Farmar is more on par with our 3rd pg in Brooks. That's great since I hate the Lakers. I definitely feel both PGs are capable of starting for a number of teams in the league and are both better then all 2nd unit PGs in the league. Which is wonderful.
    I'm excited for the season, I hope and don't expect them to pull a Texans on me.

2. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Never said they were scrubs. Neither do I care. They just ain't good enough to start because of a defect in their game. Didn't know who harden was until he started.

3. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

He is asian?

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I gotta agree. In crunch time, they probably won't go twin towers. Asik would sit and they'd go small. It's either Lin or Casspi or Garcia who comes in, depending on how they're performing and on the match-ups.

Is it a demotion for Lin? Maybe a bit, but I still think it's good for him. It gives him a solid 10 minutes as the playmaker, plus whatever other time he gets. He's not going to get a big contract out of a role like that, but he wasn't going to anyway.

I have to agree with McHale that the 2 point guards are of similar caliber, and that they are even starting quality. But, they are both in the lower half of NBA starting PGs. If Lin has one foot out of town, I hope Bev does too and we have a better PG coming in. Bev plus Lin is a decent PG rotation, but Bev plus random scrub is actually pretty dang weak.

Anyway, I'll be pleased with Lin as 6th man. I think he can be very valuable at that spot, and it makes more sense regardless of which is the better player.

5. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

hmm.. I just care about basketball... I don't really get into all that other stuff.

when you worry about the personal aspect of athletes you get into the "worship" zone, and that is really crazy.

just pay attention to the games.

i am neither LOF/LOH, but i do like him on the bench.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Actually JR Smith and Crawford ARE good enough to start and have done so before. The 6th man role isn't about being good enough to start...

Any ways...there really is not much to respond with if you did not know how James Harden was before he started. Just means you're really not that into NBA Basketball and watching the league as a whole.

7. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How could you not know him from ASU, let alone OKC?

hahaha.

8. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

Wrong. Or at least partially. The guy was overlooked and doubted practically his whole life, I mean he's a legit nba player who couldn't even get a d-1 scholarship. Wasn't even drafted. Was even almost cut again in NY, then buried on the bench when the team reluctantly gave him a chance. Then he had one of the most electric stretches ever for a first yr guy, esp a first yr guy with his background. The whole world took notice. It's not hard to figure out at all if u even begin to use ur brain why he has a following. Was written off at every stop, practically always an underdog and ppl identify with that. Of course I throw in the Taiwan connection with that nation not really ever having an nba player, that following is obvious.

Still, he's gotten paid now, and I think he's bein underestimated again with the benching but it's on him to prove that was a mistake if it was.

1 person likes this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah that is the first time I've heard of that.

I mean the guy was playing in the Finals not too long ago, let alone he was part of the Thunder big 3. If you didn't know who he was you just don't watch the NBA too much

10. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

And ppl can go on and on about 6th man, but if he doesn't close out the games and is simply the first guy off the bench, he won't be a 6th man.

11. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

if you didn't know who Harden was before he started then you are not a basketball fan... how can you miss the 6th man of year, Olympic gold medalist?

12. Panda23

Panda23 Member

TALKING SO MUCH STUFF OVER SOMETHING SO LITTLE.....

13. Wushang_bj

Wushang_bj Member

Good news for Lin fan in Asia. No need to struggling awake early on game days morning, or even sports news is enough...

14. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

I never understood all this worship for basketball players, movie stars, singers...Just enjoy their talent, unless they do something extremely horrible of course (Vick, Chris Brown).

And quite defending these people like their your best friend cause guess what, you watch them on TV for an hour or two just like a million other people. They aren't your friends or family so no need to get offended when someone doesn't like them. Boo Who, Lin got benched and how does that affect you exactly? I could understand if the argument was, the team would be better with Lin in the starting line up but no, the argument is all about how this benching affects Lin, a guy you see on TV couple times a week...rant over...:mad::mad:

15. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Not suprised at all. Lin can put up big numbers given the chance and we all know that. Bev plays stellar defense and fits with harden and the starting lineup better. The minute the offense starts going south, you plug lin in and he has the ability to work his own magic.

16. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

lin had a nice run in NY. and i think it was just that.... a nice run.

he's back where he belongs, tha pine.

17. bws

bws Member

And he did it in NYC, a tough, tough place to play at the storied Madison Square Garden. And he was a class A guy all the way and his style of play made Steve Novak and Fields look like superstars because while yes, he scored, he also had great assists and involved all of his team mates. Then Melo came back. But NY wanted him back. Houston gave him a contract NY decided not to match after saying they'd match anything, and now he's in Houston. As a New Yorker, Lin provided excitement in the Garden very few players that aren't superstars provided. That said, Jeremy Lin is not that player. But he is no average player either. He's got a star quality about him.

18. lightningbolt

lightningbolt Member

In the 429 minutes that Lin played without Harden last season, per 36 he averaged 18.4 points on 13.2 shots, 59.2 TS% (48.4 FG%, 47.4 3P% 79.4 FT%), 8.8 assists, 4.2 TO, 1.4 STL, 3.0 REB.

1 person likes this.
  19. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Lin is a good player. He will continue to work hard in whatever role he gets put. 6th man suits his skillset and Beverley's given the current makeup of the team.

But we live and die by Harden and Dwight

20. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

You're telling people to not get too wrapped up in something sports related. You could say the same thing to like a million ppl, with no effect. Ppl make too big of sports, shocking development....

Personally I really like Lin and I kinda identify with him.
    if I see ppl trash him, I'll probably say something and i won't apologize for that. I also think the team would be better off with him starting, it's not just about him. Or at least theyd be better off with him getting a lot of mins, however that happens.

Eh, I've probably said enough on the subject. Everyone has pretty much let their feelings/thoughts be known so I just the only thing to do now is see how the season plays out really.