1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why not try Harden+Howard+Lin as the Dynamic Trio for a chance to win a ring?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FlyingBeagles, Oct 28, 2013.

?

Should coaches consider experimenting with Harden+Howard+Lin as the Dynamic Trio to win a ring?

Poll closed Nov 27, 2013.
  1. Yes

73 vote(s)
    61.9%
  2. No

45 vote(s)
    38.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rox23

Rox23 Member

The Twin Towers worked against Memphis and San Antonia...as expected; meanwhile it did not work so well against the Mavs. Nothing is set in stone just yet.

2. CXbby

CXbby Member

The twin tower lineup may not be set in stone and depend on match ups, but I doubt we are going to rotate PGs as well.

As long as we have Harden, Beverley should be the starter.

3. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Lin usually has Lin paired up with Casspi and DMo; never once seen either of those guys out on the court at the same time with Bev; which might mean...

McHale was asked in an interview 11 days ago (not sure which preseason postgame) if Casspi would ever start. McHale essentially said yes, and then followed up by saying "but of course a guy like Casspi works well with certain other players"; which might mean...

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The "Twin Towers didn't work well offensively against the Mavs. Defensively it was good. Plus it was the first game trying it out.

5. FlyingBeagles

FlyingBeagles Member

Great points that Lin can definitely follow Ginobili's path and even Harden's path in the OKC as the 6th Man.

I personally could care less about whether Lin starts or not. It should never be about the individual prestige but what's best for the team to win championships. And that applies to Harden, Howard, Parsons and other players too. Individual stats should never trump team goals to win a ring.

Harden and Howard are the de facto All-Stars with proven track record and Lin should use his playmaking skills to make the job easier for Harden and Howard by relieving the pressure mainly for Harden to create and score. Harden can't do it alone to create for the team without breaking down like last season.

I realize it's not an enviable task for coaches to find the balance of having two playmakers on the floor. How would Harden and Lin take turn to create for their teammates? How do you encourage them to move off-the-ball and play with each other while assisting Dwight seamlessly? This will take some time to develop and practice together but I believe it's better for the long-term.

My main concern is that coaches wouldn't give a high priority in this experiment even when it shows great promise in the first preseason game because it is a difficult task to achieve.

It's definitely easier to stagger Harden and Lin but I hope at some point they will experiment with this Dynamic Trio lineup with the main goal of relieving pressure for Harden and Howard by having Lin as another threat for opposing defense to worry about.

And I realize the LOF vs LOH debate has been too much to handle to have a healthy discussion but we shouldn't be sidetracked by the ongoing fights. I believe the highest priority should be what's the best way for Houston Rockets to win championship ring(s).

I hope we will choose to have a healthy discussion on this issue.

6. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Duncan, parker and ginobili are considered a dynamic trio despite ginobili coming off the bench...

so I think, to create a trio between Harden Lin and Dwight, it is best if Lin comes off the bench...

7. hahachui

hahachui Member

Lin should focus and contribute as a sixth man
    be our Jason Terry/ J.Jack!!!

Rockets will win it all!!!

8. keldraco

keldraco Member

so u mean PB is?

9. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Bev's ceiling is probably on the level of Shane Battier: great defense, great 3 point shooting; above average rebounder for his position; average at best at everything else.

10. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

I don't think McHale sees Jeremy as someone who can provide the skillet described by OP and thus has not considered seriously trying to fit in Lin with Harden. Simple as that. I believe Lin has the potential to do exactly that but McHale doesn't or he would have tried. I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that McHale doesn't think Lin has the potential to be as good as he was in NY and has said so numerous times, but I do hope that it will all work out in the end. Lin seems to have improved quite a bit and I hope he will contribute this year nonetheless.

11. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Did you watch how badlyi Lillard schooled Lin last season?. Lillard is going to be a superstar in 3 years and Lin will be a good to maybe very good.There is a gulf in talent and skill between the two.

12. Maknusia

Maknusia Member

That question need to be targeted at the coaching staffs?

As for me, I would really like to try out the combination, since many reports had been clamming that Lin coming off better and improved player as of shooting jumpers and 3s. And since we did see some glimpse of it during preseason.

I dont see no harm in trying the trio the first 5 games or so. The least for about 25-30 minutes a game.

That would clearly show, whether he is capable of contributing better as in first unit? Good suggestion, though.

13. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

\

Are you on crack?

Lillard averaged 19 ppg and 6.75 apg, in over 39 mpg of action.

Lin averaged 15.5 ppg and 7.5 apg, in just 33 mpg.

Head to head, lin was identical to lillard in scoring and had a better assist average per 36.

You've got to be the dumbest, most kneejerk LOH on the forum, which is saying something.

As far as getting schooled, watch this, son:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66iBqVbCe6s

14. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

The fact of the matter is, lillard is putting up big numbers for a perennial also ran, where he dominates the ball without question.

Lin was a 3rd or 4th option last season, (mis) used largely as a spot up shooter.

Allow Lin to play lillard's role on the blazers and he duplicates Lillard's productivity.

Also, lin is a better rebounder and better on defense than lillard.

Lillard has a chance to make an all star team, as does lin in the future.

15. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

Let's say Harden plays 36 mpg and Lin plays 30. That means AT MOST lin will be a primary playmaker for 12 mpg and will be playing alongside harden for another 18.

In other words, the coaching staff CANNOT AVOID the issue of integrating lin and harden, unless they bench lin altogether. They're going to have to create some balance between harden and lin's playmaking duties, but it seems as if they are just ducking the issue to as large an extent as possible.

Also, there's no guarantee that lin will have the ball in his hands when harden's out. Mchale has had beverley play alongside lin as the pg with lin as the 2 guard.

It's very clear that mchale is going to prioritize guard minutes in the following order: harden, beverley, lin.

16. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

How many more ways can you guys word these thread titles? No one is banishing Lin to the end of the bench. He isn't going to the D league. But he can't (and shouldn't) play 48mpg. If he plays only 30, that doesn't make him a lesser player. No one (Not me , at least) is saying Lin sucks. He doesn't. He is a legit NBA starting caliber point guard. Borderline all star potential. One tier right below Parker, Paul, and Westbrook. Steve Nash potential if he continues to improve his shooting. I like how he gets into the lane with ease and keeps his dribble. But we are trying to win games. I think Lin coming off the bench helps us do that.

PS
    I think Lin is the best overall point guard on our roster. I think he is the 3rd best scoring option on our team (Yes, ahead of Chandler when it comes to creating his own shot)

17. CCorn

CCorn Member

Lets go AB! The only PG to take a team to the second round!

18. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

I agree with this. Actually, how about starting Beverly-Lin-Harden-Asik-Howard? Yes, we bring Parsons off the bench. That we we get Lin's playmaking and Bev's high energy defense, and they can both play tight on the perimeter with Asik and Howard manning the backline.

19. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

I think it is unlikely that lin plays 30-32 mpg; he'll more likely be at around 23-26 mpg. The coaching staff has a strong preference for harden/beverley. Even with harden out, the coaching staff will play beverley at the point and lin as the off guard. Mchale doesn't believe lin is the answer at pg.

20. Play07

Play07 Member

They will both play together, only thing I'm concerned about is fast break points, we scored a lot of points off those last season that was our bread and butter Lin getting the ball and taking off. He wasn't getting offensive rebounds like Beverley because he was always looking to catch out and push the ball

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.