1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Lin or Bev FINISH games?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by garfangle, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Grapenutz

Grapenutz Rookie

Bev needs to close out games. Better shooter and defender. Now that we have D12, I would prefer Bev not crash the boards all the time. Let Dwight and asik do that. Thats how little guys get hurt

2. kumakun

kumakun Member

Lol not playing Lin 4tb quarter is like not having Harden drive to the lane. You guys obviously forget Linsanity was ALL about the 4th quarter and being clutch. If you don't play Lin 4th, just don't play him at all since your wasting his potential.

1 person likes this.
  3. quizone

quizone Member

Did not read the posts. It looks unlikely Lin will play in the 4th quarter tbh. The writing is on the wall.

4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Sorry I meant to add again, what teams are we exactly talking about moving him to though?

I understand the types of situations you brought up, but what are the specific teams?

Are we positive there are other teams out there that view him as a for sure building block piece? I'm not saying there aren't, but you and others are making some assumptions and acting like there will be teams lining up to give us fair value for him.

What contending teams are looking for one last piece that are going to use Lin in a way that isn't exactly the way you are afraid The Rockets are going to use him?

5. Grapenutz

Grapenutz Rookie

Lol @ Linsanity :grin:

1 person likes this.
  6. bws

bws Member

That's the thing. The more Beverley plays, the more a scouting report he gets, the more what he does will be countered and he'll have to make adjustments. When Lin bursts on the scene there was no real scouting report. Since he was such an impact player that could bust a game open, there were a lot made toward him when word got around. Lin's abilities are just not respected here so let Beverley play and let's see what happens. You may find out that Beverley becomes more "exposed". Not that I don't like Bev, or want him to fail in any way. I like him a lot and value what he brings. It's just that's what happens with more exposure and preparation to any player relatively new onto the scene. Guys Bev embarrasses will come back and play with a vengeance to prove themselves, and some of them will.

1 person likes this.
  7. bws

bws Member

He's not a better shooter. Not overall.

8. TTNN

TTNN Member

As a Lin fan, I really hate to say this, it looks like at the end of the game, most likely will be Beverley on the floor, unless we are going with small 3 guard line up, or unless it was like in the playoff, whereas Beverley was expose by Reggie Jackson, or he has obviously size disadvantage.

Well, Rockets has always been put the ball in Harden's hand, so keep Jeremy on bench will ensure that. And even we have Dwight, at the last minute, you don't want Dwight go to the free throw line, you want James do that, and James need ball in hand to be able to do that.

If we put Jeremy on the floor, he would try to playmaking, (which takes ball out of James' hand), and he will try to connect with Dwight based on his assist tendency, (he likes to feed our bigs), that would send Dwight to the line a lot of times.

9. Yang_Wenli

Yang_Wenli Member

Why not both?

10. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

They may both finish if we are going with the 2 PG lineup, but if only one PG I'm most comfortable with Bev. The guy is a great ball handler and doesn't make risky passes. He's very consistent which is what you need in a PG in the 4th.

1 person likes this.
  11. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Obviously Beverly since Harden becomes the PG during last 5 minutes of 4th.

12. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Who the hell cares. It isnt a big deal for the 4th option. I'm more worried about going to Howard in close games.

13. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Harden was partly a gamble by Morey, who had no other options but to take a risk on him (and to his benefit, the risk paid off). No other centerpiece level free agent wanted to join the Rockets, so Morey had almost no choice but to take a bet on Harden.

Regardless, the fact is that Harden left a title contending team and went to an absolute non-contender. Even with his addition and subsequent emergence, the Rockets were still a non-contender. If he really wanted titles, he would have stayed with the Thunder (where a core of Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka and himself were guaranteed WCF every season). It is only the addition of Dwight Howard this summer that changed entire calculations. Before that, Rockets are NO WHERE near contention.

I was surprised when Lin when undrafted - so many picks wasted on players that couldn't even cut it in this league while one that has the ability, a decent head, and excellent character, is left on the sidelines.

I was surprised when many teams (including the Rockets) cut Lin - I always thought he had potential and teams were missing out on him.

I was surprised when Lin emerged with Linsanity - I never thought he would have this much potential, nor did I know he could make a whole team of scrubs gel and perform like a top seeded team.

I was surprised when Lin started improving again in the second half of last season especially after he had fully recovered from his injury - from what many esteemed members of Clutchfans say, Lin is an absolute scrub with no chance of improving whatsoever.

I was ultimately, most surprised that Morey payed Lin, a mere "D-league" backup pointguard 8.3 million / year for 3 seasons - the same Morey who hates to overpay players and loves finding value and bargains. Hmmm.... I wonder why Morey did that.....

You might be surprised if Lin ever reaches the playing level of a max player, but I personally do not want to be surprised any longer.

The same reason why James Harden left a contender. It is called - to maximise his potential.

As far as I am concerned, I want the best for both the Rockets and for Lin. My ideal scenario is for Lin to reach his maximum potential soon, be part of the Rockets' long term plans, emerge as the 3rd or 4th of a Rockets Big 3 or Big 4, and together with Harden, compete season in season out for the title of "best backcourt in the NBA". I also believe that Lin is one of the few "centerpiece potential" players in the NBA who is willing to take less money to return to a team that has shown long-term loyalty and commitment to him.

On the other hand, if Lin is only going to be a 6th man, have 25 minutes or so playing time, and not closing out games, then he is not in the best place that will help him maximise his potential and should leave the Rockets for a better place the moment his contract his up. That said, he should, like what Harden did in Oklahoma, play his absolute best in whatever time on the court he is given, so that other teams looking for a key piece, can say: Hey, if we need a capable point guard, there's one on the Rockets that is not being utilized properly / to his maximum potential...we can steal him from them by selling to him that he will be our starting point guard and playing a major role for us.

Sound familiar? Should be. This is how the Rockets stole James Harden from the Thunder.

Ultimately, Harden leaving Oklahoma was a major loss to them, even if he was the most feted 6th man in the league while he was with them. I hope I never have to say the same thing for the Rockets if Lin leaves at the end of his contract.

14. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

With Harden and Howard, we just need a PG who can handle the ball and play great D. Look at Mario Chalmers, and Bev is already better than him.

15. Rox23

Rox23 Member

I'm getting sick of this nonsense. What's wrong with having two great point guards who fill their roles well? Who cares who starts, and who finishes. As long as we win...which we WILL with two great point guards like the ones we got. No need to get rid of anybody. This isn't Survivor, jeez.

16. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

How is this different from Lin's situation in Houston? Lin will never be a key player on which a team rebuilds unless they have NO championship aspiration. There is absolutely no way Lin well ever become the 1st or 2nd best player on a championship caliber team, and those are the guys teams rebuild with. He can however, be the 4-6 best player on said-team, which he is right now on the Rockets. Seriously, do you see teams rebuilding around players like JR Smith, Jarret Jack (players of similar tier to Lin)? Of course not. Honestly, I think Lin's fate as an NBA player may be an effective 6th-man (unless he becomes a really good off-ball & defender PG, i.e like a George Hill, but with playmaking skills) and there's is nothing wrong for that. I do think the Rockets will make an effort to trade Lin, but I hope they don't. He can really grow into a better player playing on a championship caliber team.

17. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

I'm also tired of people actively pushing for Lin to be traded b/c his talent will supposedly go to waste if he comes off the bench. If anything, his talent will be maximized playing on the 2nd unit. And he gets to practice against Beverley, already one of the above average defenders at his position.

18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Have to say again, not sure I agree with everything, butI think most of what you said is fairly reasonable

Everything but the money he made and why he made it. It's been discussed over and over, but I think a lot more went into it than Morey strictly believing Lin was worth 25 million over 3 years.

I do believe Morey liked Lin as a player and obviously still does, but I also believe that once Dragic made his hard stance and we were entering a season that looked bleak a guy like Lin who would at the very least draw fan interest played in his favor. Add to that we had to make an offer substantial enough to make NY pass on resigning and I think Lin got more than Morey would have normally spent.

19. bws

bws Member

Some of Lin's risky passes pay off in big easy points for his players and he's more explosive, decisive and sometimes pin-point accurate at finding guys in a position to score easily as well. Bev is safer, but Lin can make that big QB throw that wins you games as well. Anyway, it seems McHale is playing Bev/Lin combo a lot and I think he likes it.

20. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Not the time or the place nor do I have the interest to speculate about this.

First of all, this thread and this forum are full of assumptions and opinions. A lot of what I read from you are also nothing more but mere assumptions.

Secondly, regardless of how teams (or fans) view him right now, he just has to play DAMN WELL whenever he gets playing time on the Rockets' court. The interest from the other teams will come in due time.

Finally, why would teams ever need to line up to give the Rockets fair value for him? They just have to wait for his contract to end and they can then welcome him with open arms.

Teams that are missing a capable starting point guard, or need an upgrade at point guard. Am not going to speculate which teams they are now. Speculation can come when Lin's contract is up.